I figured out my hair problem!!!

Dionne

My hair is matting because I have three different textures of hair. The ends are straight when wet, the middle is lightly relaxed(underprocessed), and the roots are very kinky because of the new growth. All of this texture change is making my hair mat up making it hard to comb. My ends are so dry it is sad to look at. I can't even feel my scalp because my hair is so dense and matted. So the I think I need to get a relaxer, cut off all dry ragged ends and go back to deep conditioning twice a week. I am going to lose about 2 inches of hair in the back but by spring it should be back to normal. Another hair lesson learned. But better late than never.

pebbles

Hi Dionne,

At least you figured out the problem and get a handle on it. Do you have to cut your hair? Have you thought about deep conditioning for a while to see if that helps instead?

Honey Vibe

The Good Physician
How much new growth do you have so far? I don't have the kinkiest hair, but mine is absolutely un-comb-able! Do you notice more matting at the roots? Trust me, natural hair is a bottomless vortex; all hairs on top with be snatched and pulled down and matted! Seriously, natural hair snags everything, including itself. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Dionne

I have never been able to really measure my hair growth. I think from now on I am going to get a relaxer when ever I notice I have to use more heatsyling, when drying with blowdryer seems the only option and when I see more breakage. Basically that means every 5-6 weeks. Maybe when I get my hair in a healther state I will learn to cope and wait longer but I believe that some people just can't do the whole wait 8 weeks thing. It is time for a relaxer.

beawo

Dionne you are absolutely right. I have the same problem and from how you have described your hair I probably have the same hair type as yours.

Thanks so much for the observation, maybe now I will be able to have normal looking hair rather than half dreaded and half permed hair. I think I will probably pay more attention when retouching my roots, perhaps perm one half one week and the other the next.

Dionne

not a bad idea. I just can't wait but I figure as long as I don't use alot of heat and use a strong protein conditioner once a week I won't have any problems. I just can't retain growth waiting longer than 6 weeks.