I had a horrible hair experience this morning

*Happily Me*

Yesterday morning, I did a conditioner wash with Nexus Humectress which made my feel like straw! I was running late so i just pulled my hair back into a ponytail and ran off to work without detangling thoroughly. BIG mistake! Since I got home very late and was extremely tired, I did not have the energy to comb my hair. I put on my satin bonnet and went to bed.

I work up this morrning to a tangled mess. I condition washed with NTM, which did not help, threw come cholesterol on top and that did not help either. So, what do I do??? I wash my hair with Creme of Nature 'cause I know that moisterizing and gives good slip. I condition my hair AGAIN with the cholesterol then I attempt to detangle. It was awful!

OMG what a MESS! I hate Nexus Humectress and NTM now!

I am in a transitioners nightmare now. I am seriously thinking about doing BC and getting braids.

caligirl

You just started transitioning...don't give up yet! Right now I'm loving Aloe Rid Clarifying Shampoo (once a week) and Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner. I refuse to try anything else because I don't want a tangled up mess on my hands.

Diane71

Wow Dsylla, that was a horrible experience. Its so bad you are deciding on the big chop?? Don't do that. Just saturate your hair in either olive oil or a good moisturizing conditioner, sit under the dryer for bout a half an hour (if your hair is natural then don't sit under the dryer), wash it out again with CON and detangle in sections. You should be fine afterwards but don't cut your hair off, then you will have to start all over again. Good luck!

pw: diva

new pics coming on 9/5/05!

Honi

There is no board.
How about using CON again and detangle your hair under the shower stream. You can do this section by section and then condition?

TrulyBlessed

i remember around my 6/7th month I threw my hair in a wet ponytail without detangling thoroughly and boy was i in trouble the next wash day. i learned never to throw transitioning hair in any updo style while wet and not completely detangled (fierce knots, tangles, and matting). The only time cholesterol gives me good slip is if i use it with olive oil as a pre poo treatment. For an excellent detangling poo and con, try elucence, if willing to order online...good luck

Sweetyb

If you want to do the big chop and only deal with your natural hair, I don't see why not. Keeping your hair in braids whould help tremendously. In a year's time, your hair would be around ear-length, more or less. But whatever you do, don't make a hasty decision--take your time with your hair first and then make a decision.

Hang in there girl! :Rose:

Cheleigh

Sorry to hear about your experience ((hugs)).

I had a really bad tangling experience a few weeks ago, and I suffer from bad tangles as well.

I'd try to do an oil olive, honey & conditioner pre poo, with a hot towel or heat for 30-45 minutes.

I would then slather on more conditioner and separate hair into about 6 sections. I would slater on some leave in condish with a greally good slip like Organics hair mayo or equivalent. Then I would take down section by section and use my fingers only to dt. I have found that my hair does not dt well with combs or brushes during this transition.

After I dt, I would braid up into same braids, and then follow my washing routine, and do a protein and deep moisture treatment.

Some people have success with dt'ing under running water, so if that works for you, I'd follow the pre poo steps, slather on leave-in, then dt with fingers under running water.

Hope this helps.

Cinnabuns

Blossssom said:
Humectress did that? Yikes!

That's usually a very smooth conditioner. I use it, too.

Yeah I was saying the same thing Blossssom, Humetress always does my hair good.

Hmmm...it sounds like you were in a rush DSylla when you were detangling your hair, could you ahve done more harm then good during the detanlging process? I ask because sometimes when I am in a rush I mess my hair up pretty badly by rushing through it.

Shalilac

I'm a little late and you have already gotten good advice, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents anyways :p ... I don't use expensive cond for my hair thru-out this transition becuz I cond wash so often. Try using Tresseme or Suave Hume. And follow everyone else's advice about detangling in sections (maybe even 8!) Don't BC out of haste and frustration becuz u may regret it later. BUT at the same time, do whatever is easier and best for you! Good luck and take your time!!! :yep:

Last edited:

*Happily Me*

Hi Everyone!

Yep, Blossom humectress made my hair feel like straw and I just bought it :ohwell:

Tasha112 you spoke the truth. The wet ponytail without detangle messed me up!

Cleleigh - I am definetely going to try some olive oil. Thanks for the suggestion.

cinnabuns - I was in a mad rush. I'm pretty sure I did some damage :(

Thanks Caligirl, Diane71, Queenie, Honi, Swettyb and Shalilac for you suggestions.

I've been working 10 hours a day with no break! Seriously! I barely have time to throw on my mascara!

I really gotta get a regimen... I'm in a new and unfamiliar stage. My transition was smoooth sailing up until this point. I need to take the time and do some serious TLC hair care.

This weekend, i'm going to deep condition and just take some "me time".

Last edited:

mzlatisha

Everything is Energy
It was hard for me to grow out the relaxer..
i kept it in the bun..almost always..i just kept clipping some perm ends off hear and there..and it took about 2 years to get all of the perm gone..
its tough...but its worth it.
although my hair never got bone straight with the perm i still had some waves and curls goin on..
when the natural hair grows in keep it moisturized..keep the ends moisturized as well or else it will feel like straw....
i did some leave ins some deep conditions and hot oil treatments.

*Happily Me*

mzlatisha said:
It was hard for me to grow out the relaxer..
i kept it in the bun..almost always..i just kept clipping some perm ends off hear and there..and it took about 2 years to get all of the perm gone..
its tough...but its worth it.
although my hair never got bone straight with the perm i still had some waves and curls goin on..
when the natural hair grows in keep it moisturized..keep the ends moisturized as well or else it will feel like straw....
i did some leave ins some deep conditions and hot oil treatments.

thanks for the suggestions but I permed twice already since this post.

I still have chronically dry hair but doing daily con washes is helping.
My hair is really more texturized than relaxed. It's 10 times more manageable now.

:)

Country gal

Can you just use a good clarifying shampoo and call it a day? Two days this week I had dry, wild hair. One of those days I saw like a rack of people that I didn't want to see on my non cute day.

How much relaxed hair do you have? Maybe braids will be a nice break for you while your hair continues to grow out the cream crack.

mzlatisha

Everything is Energy
Country gal said:
Can you just use a good clarifying shampoo and call it a day? Two days this week I had dry, wild hair. One of those days I saw like a rack of people that I didn't want to see on my non cute day.

How much relaxed hair do you have? Maybe braids will be a nice break for you while your hair continues to grow out the cream crack.

girl dont you know that when you are lookin extra cute..you hardly ever see the people you want to see you...???
you see them only when you roll out of bed and throw on somethin and a scarf and go to the store...and they want to be all up in your face.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

@DSylla have you used Porosity control lately or incorporate it in your regimen? Cause it sounds like your hair may have a problem retaining moisture. HTH's
DSylla said:
thanks for the suggestions but I permed twice already since this post.

I still have chronically dry hair but doing daily con washes is helping.
My hair is really more texturized than relaxed. It's 10 times more manageable now.

:)

Kikootie

I am sorry about your hair. I hate humectress too. I bought a 1/2 liter bottle and gave up after using 1/3 of it. It does not give me enough slip. Now its just on my shelf.

metro_qt

BeautifulWideEyes said:
@DSylla have you used Porosity control lately or incorporate it in your regimen? Cause it sounds like your hair may have a problem retaining moisture. HTH's

I was about to say the exact same thing. When you hair starts acting up, use porosity control..

*Happily Me*

Which shampoos have porosity control?

Is porosity control the same as neutralizing as in a neutralizing shampoo?

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I'm not sure if neutralizing poos do the same as Porosity control, but you can purchase it at Sally's or any BSS, it's made by Roux and it comes in a shampoo and Conditioner, I remember yrs ago in hair school we would always use it as a final step using the conditioner only, we would massage it in, comb through and rinse. When I graduated and started working in a Salon, I don't remember using it much, and eventually I stopped buying it. :ohwell: , until now.
DSylla said:
Which shampoos have porosity control?

Is porosity control the same as neutralizing as in a neutralizing shampoo?

Last edited:

*Happily Me*

BeautifulWideEyes said:
I'm not sure if neutralizing poos do the same as Porosity control, but you can purchase it at Sally's or any BSS, it's made by Roux and it comes in a shampoo and Conditioner, I remember yrs ago in hair school we would always use it as a final step using the conditioner only, we would massage it in, comb through and rinse. When I graduated and started working in a Salon, I don't remember using it much, and eventually I stopped buying it. :ohwell: , until now.

Thanks, i'll try this

Healthb4Length

Believe it or not it may not be the conditioner but the shampoo. I used to use CON religiously for years and then during one wash 3 years ago, I had major problems, my hair tangled something terrible! I spent hours gently detangling 2 inch section per section till I got that mess out! I taught it was a fluke and wrote it off, I used CON several weeks later and the SAME thing happened AGAIN!:mad: That was when I decided that I would NEVER use CON again, it even contains formaldahyde...I avoid that shampoo like a plague.:perplexed

DSylla said:
Yesterday morning, I did a conditioner wash with Nexus Humectress which made my feel like straw! I was running late so i just pulled my hair back into a ponytail and ran off to work without detangling thoroughly. BIG mistake! Since I got home very late and was extremely tired, I did not have the energy to comb my hair. I put on my satin bonnet and went to bed.

I work up this morrning to a tangled mess. I condition washed with NTM, which did not help, threw come cholesterol on top and that did not help either. So, what do I do??? I wash my hair with Creme of Nature 'cause I know that moisterizing and gives good slip. I condition my hair AGAIN with the cholesterol then I attempt to detangle. It was awful!

OMG what a MESS! I hate Nexus Humectress and NTM now!

I am in a transitioners nightmare now. I am seriously thinking about doing BC and getting braids.

SweetNic_JA

Dsylla, I'm not sure if you've found a solution yet but here is what I recommend. I give this recommendation with confidence because I went through a similar situation after my hair was extremely tangled after coming out of braids. I was 50/50 at that time so my tangles were REAL.

You need to let your hair dry again.

You need to detangle using your hands ONLY and a bit of oil (you shouldn't use or need too much).

This isn't going to be easy -- it may take hours but this guarantees that less hair is lost.

Good luck lady. :)

I feel your pain.

Angelicus

Don't give up! Please! Just be optimistic. Right now I know it feels like you just want to chop it off but you have a ton of ladies here that are cheerleaders for you :weird: