I HATE CURLFORMERS

I tried out Curlformers for the first time this evening. Id given them some practice runs and they seemed to slide on okay especially on my wet hair. So I washed and conditioned my hair and got to work. I noticed I had a lot of trouble getting the first one on and then realized Id made the section of hair too large. Even with small sections I had terrible difficulty getting each on without snagging my hair something awful I never even comb my wet hair due to the damage risk:( so Im extremely disappointed in the damage Ive probably just done. I should have quit and left my hair alone. I hope it at least looks decent when it finishes drying. Ill be using a heavy protein treatment next wash and deep condiotioning. :nono: Ugh , Im so pissed at myself right now :( . Cant wait to return these tomorrow and get my 70 or so dollars back :nono:.

EDIT:
I cant say Im unhappy with the results though, Im still going to take them back and maybe try flexi rods because Im loving the curls without heat..

Last edited:

poookie

you hate yours too :lol:

i just got my curlformers today, too. i have one stuck in my hair now that i put in on dry hair, & now it won't budge :lol:

i think the problem (for you) could be that your hair wasn't properly detangled before you slid the roller on. you said that you don't comb your wet hair. did you make sure to detangle each section before putting the roller on? if the section is detangled, it shouldn't snag.

Nonie

Did you guys twist the hair before hooking it? My only grievance with CF's is I hate that the hook is plastic. I wish I could find a metal alternative. Maybe there's a giant metal crotchet hook that one could buy. If any blacksmith is reading this, you could get rich making a substitute for that cheap-a$$ hook with a horrible seam.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
I hate curlformers too! They pulled my hair out BAD and I tried it on more than one occasion. It pulled m hair out while trying to pull the rod through the roller. My curls did come out nice but it wasn't worth the hair I lost. I'm not the only one either. We talked about them at the last southern meet up and wasn't the only one who had problems with them. I'd take them back. DLewis said flexirods are better. Maybe you can pm her and ask her about it.

Bun Mistress

I tried them twice first time it was so frustrating putting them in, style lasted a day. The second time putting the secondone in somehow an inch of ends snapped off. And I was done.

poookie

yep, i twisted my roots before putting it on. but my dumb self probably shouldn't have put it on dry hair! :lol: :lol:

i managed to get it off, but the hair i lost pulling the roller off makes me uncomfortable. maybe because my hair was dry. i'm going to try after DCing with a good protein deep conditioner, & on sopping wet hair doused in serum. hopefully it comes out nice. else they will be available in the product exchange forum :lol:

& nonie i agree, the rod sucks. a metal one would work really nice. i'm going to try wrapping an end paper on the hook to see if it's kinder to my hair that way.

Okay, I took a few out of my hair and its so silky and shiny that Im having second thoughts lol. Its just the installation that I cant get past. Now i dont know what to do :scratchch:

I hate curlformers too! They pulled my hair out BAD and I tried it on more than one occasion. It pulled m hair out while trying to pull the rod through the roller. My curls did come out nice but it wasn't worth the hair I lost. I'm not the only one either. We talked about them at the last southern meet up and wasn't the only one who had problems with them. I'd take them back. DLewis said flexirods are better. Maybe you can pm her and ask her about it.
Yep, flexirods seem like a much safer option to me. I may give those a shot. Im just terrible with parting my hair and stuff. The only thing I do well is flat iron..

Did you guys twist the hair before hooking it? My only grievance with CF's is I hate that the hook is plastic. I wish I could find a metal alternative. Maybe there's a giant metal crotchet hook that one could buy. If any blacksmith is reading this, you could get rich making a substitute for that cheap-a$$ hook with a horrible seam.
Yeah, I think the hook is at fault, it just isnt big enough. I like my results but Im not going to risk the health of my hair. I hate the feeling of pulling them on, it just isnt smooth enough,always feels like somethings ripping...

cch24

i love my curlformers! i tried them on wet hair and i had a little breakage, so i decided to try them on damp hair and it was perfect! but i end up using 50 extra long and wide in my head because i'm scared to use bigger sections in fear that i rip my hair out. give them a second chance! it may be worth it.

Last edited:

Iamhim

I've had the same problem too. The last time I used them, I used a little HEHH for slip and it helped a lot.

Attachments

• IMG_2632-vi.jpg
    IMG_2632-vi.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 92

Nonie

Yeah, I think the hook is at fault, it just isnt big enough. I like my results but Im not going to risk the health of my hair. I hate the feeling of pulling them on, it just isnt smooth enough,always feels like somethings ripping...

I was trying to convince my hubby to make a metal one for me, but he said he'll try to file the plastic one first to see if he can't make it smooth enough to my liking. I wonder if apply clear nail polish after that wouldn't make it even smoother. :scratchch

yep, i twisted my roots before putting it on. but my dumb self probably shouldn't have put it on dry hair! :lol: :lol:

i managed to get it off, but the hair i lost pulling the roller off makes me uncomfortable. maybe because my hair was dry. i'm going to try after DCing with a good protein deep conditioner, & on sopping wet hair doused in serum. hopefully it comes out nice. else they will be available in the product exchange forum :lol:

& nonie i agree, the rod sucks. a metal one would work really nice. i'm going to try wrapping an end paper on the hook to see if it's kinder to my hair that way.

Yeah, I think having your hair damp/wet is better. I usually don't have product when I do mine. My only problem with them--except when they are my pre-press stretching method--is I don't know how to separate the ends and not have them frizz up so I could wear a curly do. But I've not given up figuring that out. :ohwell:

When you take them out, do you straighten them first (ie untwist them) so you're pulling out of a cylindrical straight tube instead of a curly one? Taking them off is the easy part for me. I don't lose any hair.

OP, I think practice will make perfect. Watch the demo video a few times. I found that helped me correct any clumsy moves I was making that would make me have to start off. Also, I don't have a lot of hair but when I curled 3/4 of my head (kindly ignore very untidy cornrows), I used 80 of them. I have a total of 100 but think I might need a couple more packs to do my whole head. I think working on small sections helps. I have the narrow green and blue ones.

ceebee3

These are on my X-mas list, I hope I don't run into any problems. I'm still going to try them after all the youtube vids I've seen, I'm excited to see how my hair will turn out.

poookie

ARGH!!! these took almost THREE HOURS to put in!!! 14 weeks post, & working through this mass of 4a/4b ness is probably why it took as long as it did, but i'm not sure they were worth the investment, if they're going to take this long to install. sitting under the dryer now, & hopefully they'll turn out okay.

ARGH!!! these took almost THREE HOURS to put in!!! 14 weeks post, & working through this mass of 4a/4b ness is probably why it took as long as it did, but i'm not sure they were worth the investment, if they're going to take this long to install. sitting under the dryer now, & hopefully they'll turn out okay.
Damn!! LOL I took about an hour and i just gave up at the end and left part of the back out :nono: I was so upset about all the snagging and ripping. Im returning my packs for flexi rods tomorrow. Did you at least get them to go on smoothly without ripping and tearing repeatedly?

ETA: i have a feeling youll be very happy with the results. I actually like my results but the end just doesnt justify the means for me.

Last edited:

Irresistible

I had read stuff like this before about them, and it kept me from trying them at all

I aint touching anything that might pull out some hair

maxiglide went back for the same reason

liteskinshowdy

I LOVE CURLFORMERS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been using the blue and green ones for over a year and I just recently sold them, now I have the biggest size. I think once you get the hang of them, they are quite convenient. I could wash and airdry, let them stay in for 3 days and do it all over again. I do recommend someone helping you for the first couple of times. My husband helped me and then I did them on his mother's hair. Once I saw what I was doing, it became a breeze. Dont give up on them- there is a member here who did a tutorial on the pink and orange and on the yellow and fushia. I may do a tutorial if I get the guts. Curlformers until I die.

check this out:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7iqi2qFlDg&feature=channel

Last edited:

lunabelle

Yea i bought about too many packs not to like them..Flexirods are so much better! I pulled out so much hair..

Leggy Mocha

I love them. I use the salon kit (40pces + hook). I make sure I hold the end closest to my scalp open as I pull the hook through. When I take them out I hold the end closest to my scalp open and straighten the curlformer out flat and my hair just glides out.

Must say though that some of them had frayed ends and that does pull some hair out. But still I L O V E them.:cloud9:

BeautifulFlower

I tried them once. Hated it. Some people must have teflon hair but my hair ripped out tryin to put those things in. Never ever again.

Your Cheeziness

Dag, I'm sorry you guys had a problem with them. The tweaks I use when installing and removing them are to make sure the hair is twisted when placing it on the hook. If it untwists, retwist it before moving forward. And yes your hair should be detangled. If it snags when you put it on, stop. Do not move past go. It'll only get worse from there. Just slide it off and retwist.

When removing them you have to straighten the roller allllll the way out first. Hold it straight with one hand and press the opening wide enough with the other and your hair should slide out with no snagging. Takes like 3 seconds. HTH

Nonie

I LOVE CURLFORMERS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been using the blue and green ones for over a year and I just recently sold them, now I have the biggest size. I think once you get the hang of them, they are quite convenient. I could wash and airdry, let them stay in for 3 days and do it all over again. I do recommend someone helping you for the first couple of times. My husband helped me and then I did them on his mother's hair. Once I saw what I was doing, it became a breeze. Dont give up on them- there is a member here who did a tutorial on the pink and orange and on the yellow and fushia. I may do a tutorial if I get the guts. Curlformers until I die.

check this out:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7iqi2qFlDg&feature=channel

I totally agree with doing them on someone's hair first to get the hang of it. I did them on my mom. She was heat-happy and would press her hair often then put on curlers while her hair was still warm to set it--or just use a curling iron to press her hair and roll it at the same time. The idea of cutting back on her heat usage seemed like a good one so she was my guinea pig. It was tricky to start: I'd get one to go on smoothly and then do something wrong and have a snag and have to redo. But because I was able to see what the snag looked like, I could undo it w/o ripping hair and soon I saw what I was doing wrong and it got better. By the time I got to do mine, it was a breeze. And that is why I use CFs as my pre-press stretching method.

Oh my mom's hair before Curlformers:

My mom's hair after Curlformers without any heat (attached)

Attachments

• 4B Hair No Heat Curlformer Set.JPG
    4B Hair No Heat Curlformer Set.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 76

ladytee2

I love them. I use the salon kit (40pces + hook). I make sure I hold the end closest to my scalp open as I pull the hook through. When I take them out I hold the end closest to my scalp open and straighten the curlformer out flat and my hair just glides out.

Must say though that some of them had frayed ends and that does pull some hair out. But still I L O V E them.:cloud9:

I use them in the same manner. I have never had a problem installing or removing. I will say that if I catch a snag it is always user error - I didnt seperate my hair correctly or put the hook on correctly. I have never tried to force the hook or hair through the curlformer. If I ever felt any kind of resistance. I immediately stop remove the curlformer and hook comb, twist and start over.

my tips
1 twist hair at root to ensure all hair is in the hook before pulling through curlformer.
2 hold hook on scalp before pulling through.
3 hold tip of curlformer closest to scalp open until ends of hair have cleared the end of curlformer closest to scalp.

Nonie

Originally Posted by Leggy Mocha

Must say though that some of them had frayed ends and that does pull some hair out. But still I L O V E them.

I use them in the same manner. I have never had a problem installing or removing. I will say that if I catch a snag it is always user error - I didnt seperate my hair correctly or put the hook on correctly. I have never tried to force the hook or hair through the curlformer. If I ever felt any kind of resistance. I immediately stop remove the curlformer and hook comb, twist and start over.

my tips
1 twist hair at root to ensure all hair is in the hook before pulling through curlformer.
2 hold hook on scalp before pulling through.
3 hold tip of curlformer closest to scalp open until ends of hair have cleared the end of curlformer closest to scalp.

I agree with both these posts, especially the bold. I also want to mention that if you hair is kinky, you do keep a hold on it until it goes into the CF. See how it's done in the vid and realize that because your naturals recoils, you do need to keep it stretched as the hook pulls it in, so it goes in smooth.

This is exactly how my damp hair looked before I put the CFs on:

I had just rinsed off conditioner and ACV rinse fully combed hair. Then I'd take a narrow section that was still wet, twist at the base before hooking on the CF threaded tool, then hold the mouth of CF open till hook went in, and then held the mouth against my scalp as I release more and more of the hair into the CF for the hook to pull in. I then simply then airdried and this was my hair post-CF, ready for flat ironing:

Last edited:

meecee

I think the ladies who are struggling with curlformers would enjoy flexirods more. I tried my first flexirod set a few weeks ago and I loved it. I rolled my entire head on 12 rods in 30 minutes. The set lasted for 5 full days. I used dialuted Lottabody and Biosilk serum to set my hair. Used Vitamin E oil for moisture everyday.

Seems like flexirods would better for natural hair too because you can control the tension on the rod.

(my hair is relaxed, mbl by the way)

Distorted Barbie

Dag, I'm sorry you guys had a problem with them. The tweaks I use when installing and removing them are to make sure the hair is twisted when placing it on the hook. If it untwists, retwist it before moving forward. And yes your hair should be detangled. If it snags when you put it on, stop. Do not move past go. It'll only get worse from there. Just slide it off and retwist.

When removing them you have to straighten the roller allllll the way out first. Hold it straight with one hand and press the opening wide enough with the other and your hair should slide out with no snagging. Takes like 3 seconds. HTH

I AGREE with ALL of the above... I LOVE CURLFORMERS. Practice makes perfect (It went from it taking me almost 2 hrs to put them in to it taking 30 mins) Also Lacio Lacio helped tremendously with the slippage, allowing them to GLIDE on.:yep:

I returned them plus one of the two hooks ( couldnt find the receipt for one) and got over 80 dollars back and got some flexirods for wayy cheaper lol. I really tried the curlformers in the most snag free way that seemed logical ( twisting my hair etc) and still they snagged and had too much friction over and over, its just not worth it. I imagine I could get the same result with flexi rods and it would be much easier on my hair..

Last edited:

Rei

It takes some practice knowing how to get them in. Your hair has to be FULLY detangled and the sections TINY for it to really slide on smoothly.

I have no issues with the installation process, what issues I have is that the style lasts for like a halfhour making the entire hour long installation process a waste of time :rolleyes: