I Have Reached The Magical Unicorn Land Of No Breakage!

curlytwirly06

So I have tried everything over the past few years to curb my breakage and help me retain. I have done protective styling, baggying, deep conditioning every few days, washing every few days, so on and so forth. You name it I have tried it. I have bought extremely expensive products to combat moisture loss and breakage. I have tried all kinds of brushes and combs, and finger detangling methods, sulfate/ no sulfate, cones / no cones. I have literally applied everything I knew how to get my hair to act right and for years I have been suffering set back after set back trying to achieve moisture and strength continuously. This forum has helped me so much that I wanted to share what has finally put me on the path I want to be.

Problem #1 Pre-pooing

I have tried every method of pre- pooing there is. I have tried the concoctions from hair boards , conditioners, oils, you name it I did it. I could not find anything that would give me the slip I needed to finger detangle before washing and the moisture needed before applying shampoo.

Solution: A friend was at my house and she had some LeKair cholesterol that she had left over. It was wash day and I was out of my usual pre pooing conditioner so I mixed a 1/4 cup of *olive oil* and a 1/4 cup of *coconut oil* into it and used it to pre poo over night. In the morning I had super soft hair that was easily finger detangled. A feat for hair that had been in a wash and go all week.

* Note : I have NEVER used straight coconut or olive oil on my hair because it always resulted in disaster even products with those ingredients would make my hair feel terrible. After using I would have nothing but hard crunchy tangled hair. I was running low on supplies and they were the only oil I had on hand because I cook with them. For some reason they acted phenomenally well mixed together in the cholesterol.

Problem #2 Shampoo
Shampooing used to bring me to tears every week. I dreaded it! I could never find a shampoo my hair liked. My scalp likes to be washed frequently. I have tried mud washing , baking soda, vinegar, shampoo bars and various liquid shampoos. Some shampoos were great but did not clean my scalp enough. Some shampoo were overly harsh and stripped and matted my hair. My problem was more of the latter. My hair absolutely hated 99.9% of the shampoos that I have used. The minute they touch my hair I get a rough hard brick like feeling and my hair begins to mat like crazy. Cowashing is a joke for me as well. No matter the conditioner my hair would be very dried out by day 2-3. I have tried them diluted and full strength.. still nothing worked.

Solution : Paul Mitchell 3 clarifying shampoo. The shampoo worked great out of the bottle gentle yet cleansing, but I still wanted it less drying . I diluted the shampoo 50 / 50 with pure aloe vera juice and added a tablespoon of acv. The results? Super soft non tangled fluffy clean hair! I was so happy I could not believe this was my hair feeling like this after shampoo had touched it!

Problem #3 Conditioner

I have been searching high and low for a conditioner that would give me the slip I needed to detangle with after washing and the moisture needed to balance hair after a shampoo. I have tried all the HG out there. Aussie Moist, HE Hello Hydration, Kera Care, Joico Nexxus, Shea Moisture etc. They either coated my hair and gave me "fake moisture" so my hair was even more dry in the long run, lacked slip, or a combination of the two.

Solution: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Moisturizing Conditioner. It two works great out the bottle but I experimented and thought if the aloe vera made my shampoo better, maybe it could work well with the conditioner. Well, I was right. As soon as I applied my mix of conditioner and aloe my hair got all soft and melty. I could detangle with my hands and without needing a comb or brush, just 1-2 swipes afterwards for peace of mind. After rinsing my hair was soft and moist but not soft enough to skip the deep condition.

Problem #3 Deep conditioning

Liked with everything else I have tried numerous deep conditioners. From expensive, inexpensive and handmade. I got close last December with Anabelle's Perfect Blends Chocolate Mousse Mask but within the last 6 months it had not been working as well for me even after clarifying. Deep conditioning is the reason during all my turmoil all my hair did not fall off so if nothing else I needed a deep conditioner that would work well, repair, and give me the moisture my hair needed.

Solution : Joico Moisture Recovery Balm. OMG! This stuff is the Bomb.com Another LHCF user suggested it and I was desperate so I ordered it off Amazon. The first time I used it I put it on after shampoo / conditioner and sat under the dryer for 20 min. My hair was SOOOO moisturized. I mean so much I thought it may have even been over moisturized. It was so soft and curly and bouncy and silky feeling. My mouth was on the floor. I could have literally applied a drop of hemp seed oil and walked out the bathroom without applying anything else to my hair and been good till the end of the day. In the last 2.5 months it has continued to preform well for me. Not as dramatic as the first time but still really really good. I realize that I have to use it with heat as well. The results are not as good without heat. Also a bonus is that it really helps my hair maintain moisture throughout the week. I dont have to re moisturize at all for a full 6 days when I use it. Just pineapple and shake for the next day

Problem # 4 Protein

I am a vegan / raw foodist with a diet lacking in heavy protein. Not because I do not have sources available I sometimes over work and forget to eat and then I tend to be more partial to smoothies, fruits, and salad heavy meals than starches and grains and proteins. So right off the bat I knew I was protein differentiate. Making matters worse my hair LOVES protein. Just like all the others I have tried many products that either did not do anything or gave me protein overload with one use. No Bueno.

Solution : Colorful Neutral Protein Filler. Yeah I know. I would not have thought this little 3$ bottle could work such a miracle at all. You dont need much of it at all. It's liquid and can be used straight or diluted. I dilute mine with water, 2/3 filler and 1/3 water. I use it every two weeks and on freshly clarified hair. I spray it all over and sit under the dryer for 15-20 min without a bag till my hair is dry. When I rinse my hair is a bit dry but super full and very voluminous. That is a huge deal for someone like me with super fine and thin hair and not a lot of it. My hair is so fine that twists make it look scalpy. My hair is also strong without being stiff! Yay!

Problem #5 Leave - Ins

So finding a leave in has not been as huge of a problem as everything else. While I have used tons of them and only had a few pickles most were sub par to alright nothing ever "wowed" me and gave me that long lasting moisture and helped to "seal" in the moisture from my deep conditioner the way I wanted.

Solution: Anabelles Perfect Blends Blueberry Cheescake Liquid Leave In and Hair Milk, Broccoli hair cream, and Ayurveda hair cream. These items stuff not only smell AMAZING but lock in all the moisture, defines my curls, and smooths my hair cuticle for crazy shine . I have been using these products for almost a year now and without a doubt they preform very well for me. Erica who makes the leave ins has a Etsy shop , is a black business woman, super sweet and has TONS of sales. It doesn't get any better than that!

Sorry if this has been long winded but I get so much hair advise here now that I have "made it" to the other side I wanted to help as well. I have absolutely no breakage at all. The most I see is 2-3 pieces. My hair is happy 24/7 and retaining like crazy! Hope this helps!! Below is a picture of a recent blowout.

Attachments

• IMG_0307.JPG
    IMG_0307.JPG
    429.7 KB · Views: 320

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
Lovely head of hair OP! It almost sounded like you were describing my hair.
So I have tried everything over the past few years to curb my breakage and help me retain. I have done protective styling, baggying, deep conditioning every few days, washing every few days, so on and so forth. You name it I have tried it. I have bought extremely expensive products to combat moisture loss and breakage. I have tried all kinds of brushes and combs, and finger detangling methods, sulfate/ no sulfate, cones / no cones. I have literally applied everything I knew how to get my hair to act right and for years I have been suffering set back after set back trying to achieve moisture and strength continuously. This forum has helped me so much that I wanted to share what has finally put me on the path I want to be.

Problem #1 Pre-pooing

I have tried every method of pre- pooing there is. I have tried the concoctions from hair boards , conditioners, oils, you name it I did it. I could not find anything that would give me the slip I needed to finger detangle before washing and the moisture needed before applying shampoo.

Solution: A friend was at my house and she had some LeKair cholesterol that she had left over. It was wash day and I was out of my usual pre pooing conditioner so I mixed a 1/4 cup of *olive oil* and a 1/4 cup of *coconut oil* into it and used it to pre poo over night. In the morning I had super soft hair that was easily finger detangled. A feat for hair that had been in a wash and go all week.

* Note : I have NEVER used straight coconut or olive oil on my hair because it always resulted in disaster even products with those ingredients would make my hair feel terrible. After using I would have nothing but hard crunchy tangled hair. I was running low on supplies and they were the only oil I had on hand because I cook with them. For some reason they acted phenomenally well mixed together in the cholesterol.

Problem #2 Shampoo
Shampooing used to bring me to tears every week. I dreaded it! I could never find a shampoo my hair liked. My scalp likes to be washed frequently. I have tried mud washing , baking soda, vinegar, shampoo bars and various liquid shampoos. Some shampoos were great but did not clean my scalp enough. Some shampoo were overly harsh and stripped and matted my hair. My problem was more of the latter. My hair absolutely hated 99.9% of the shampoos that I have used. The minute they touch my hair I get a rough hard brick like feeling and my hair begins to mat like crazy. Cowashing is a joke for me as well. No matter the conditioner my hair would be very dried out by day 2-3. I have tried them diluted and full strength.. still nothing worked.

Solution : Paul Mitchell 3 clarifying shampoo. The shampoo worked great out of the bottle gentle yet cleansing, but I still wanted it less drying . I diluted the shampoo 50 / 50 with pure aloe vera juice and added a tablespoon of acv. The results? Super soft non tangled fluffy clean hair! I was so happy I could not believe this was my hair feeling like this after shampoo had touched it!

Problem #3 Conditioner

I have been searching high and low for a conditioner that would give me the slip I needed to detangle with after washing and the moisture needed to balance hair after a shampoo. I have tried all the HG out there. Aussie Moist, HE Hello Hydration, Kera Care, Joico Nexxus, Shea Moisture etc. They either coated my hair and gave me "fake moisture" so my hair was even more dry in the long run, lacked slip, or a combination of the two.

Solution: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Moisturizing Conditioner. It two works great out the bottle but I experimented and thought if the aloe vera made my shampoo better, maybe it could work well with the conditioner. Well, I was right. As soon as I applied my mix of conditioner and aloe my hair got all soft and melty. I could detangle with my hands and without needing a comb or brush, just 1-2 swipes afterwards for peace of mind. After rinsing my hair was soft and moist but not soft enough to skip the deep condition.

Problem #3 Deep conditioning

Liked with everything else I have tried numerous deep conditioners. From expensive, inexpensive and handmade. I got close last December with Anabelle's Perfect Blends Chocolate Mousse Mask but within the last 6 months it had not been working as well for me even after clarifying. Deep conditioning is the reason during all my turmoil all my hair did not fall off so if nothing else I needed a deep conditioner that would work well, repair, and give me the moisture my hair needed.

Solution : Joico Moisture Recovery Balm. OMG! This stuff is the Bomb.com Another LHCF user suggested it and I was desperate so I ordered it off Amazon. The first time I used it I put it on after shampoo / conditioner and sat under the dryer for 20 min. My hair was SOOOO moisturized. I mean so much I thought it may have even been over moisturized. It was so soft and curly and bouncy and silky feeling. My mouth was on the floor. I could have literally applied a drop of hemp seed oil and walked out the bathroom without applying anything else to my hair and been good till the end of the day. In the last 2.5 months it has continued to preform well for me. Not as dramatic as the first time but still really really good. I realize that I have to use it with heat as well. The results are not as good without heat. Also a bonus is that it really helps my hair maintain moisture throughout the week. I dont have to re moisturize at all for a full 6 days when I use it. Just pineapple and shake for the next day

Problem # 4 Protein

I am a vegan / raw foodist with a diet lacking in heavy protein. Not because I do not have sources available I sometimes over work and forget to eat and then I tend to be more partial to smoothies, fruits, and salad heavy meals than starches and grains and proteins. So right off the bat I knew I was protein differentiate. Making matters worse my hair LOVES protein. Just like all the others I have tried many products that either did not do anything or gave me protein overload with one use. No Bueno.

Solution : Colorful Neutral Protein Filler. Yeah I know. I would not have thought this little 3$ bottle could work such a miracle at all. You dont need much of it at all. It's liquid and can be used straight or diluted. I dilute mine with water, 2/3 filler and 1/3 water. I use it every two weeks and on freshly clarified hair. I spray it all over and sit under the dryer for 15-20 min without a bag till my hair is dry. When I rinse my hair is a bit dry but super full and very voluminous. That is a huge deal for someone like me with super fine and thin hair and not a lot of it. My hair is so fine that twists make it look scalpy. My hair is also strong without being stiff! Yay!

Problem #5 Leave - Ins

So finding a leave in has not been as huge of a problem as everything else. While I have used tons of them and only had a few pickles most were sub par to alright nothing ever "wowed" me and gave me that long lasting moisture and helped to "seal" in the moisture from my deep conditioner the way I wanted.

Solution: Anabelles Perfect Blends Blueberry Cheescake Liquid Leave In and Hair Milk, Broccoli hair cream, and Ayurveda hair cream. These items stuff not only smell AMAZING but lock in all the moisture, defines my curls, and smooths my hair cuticle for crazy shine . I have been using these products for almost a year now and without a doubt they preform very well for me. Erica who makes the leave ins has a Etsy shop , is a black business woman, super sweet and has TONS of sales. It doesn't get any better than that!

Sorry if this has been long winded but I get so much hair advise here now that I have "made it" to the other side I wanted to help as well. I have absolutely no breakage at all. The most I see is 2-3 pieces. My hair is happy 24/7 and retaining like crazy! Hope this helps!! Below is a picture of a recent blowout.

Gorgeous mane.

I have Jioco Balm on my list.. Can't wait to finish my stash.

Is your hair natural?

lilredgurl

Wow.. I had the Joico Balm in my hands this weekend and put it back b/c I have so many other products. I will have to buy it now. I am going through similar issues with my hair and have tried everything to retain moisture. I just used Annabelle's leave in and hair cream for the first time last night and today my hair feels moisturized for the first time. I will have to research the hair milk. My hair also dislikes coconut oil. I will have to try some of the other tips you provided. Thanks for sharing.

Daina

Beautiful hair, glad you found a regimen that works! I second and third the Joico Balm...ordered it from Amazon after ladies on here kept raving about it. Finally tried it last weekend and my hair was very soft and luscious!

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Beautiful hair! Glad you found solutions that work for you! Of course, I 2nd APB's hair creams, buttas and leave ins. Nothing but soft hair.

L.Brown1114

You use a lot of the same products I do (deep conditioner and conditioner) I may try your leave in and pre poo suggestions. I don't pre poo because my hairs not a fan of oil. The only one it has tolerated so far is sweet almond oil and every prepoo seems to have oil in it to some degree

Kindheart

Great hair ,it looks long and healthy :)
I m glad you found something that works for you ,it takes a while and lots of trials and errors . Your consistency paid off !

Bicarbonate and vinegar kill my hair , makes itso dry it would literally snap in my comb . Same with Dr bronners or those type of soaps .
At the moment I m quite happy with Lush shampoo bars

beauti

Glad you figured it out! Your hair looks soft and healthy. I'm thinking it's the aloe vera juice. It can transform any product. I'm never without it and when I run out, I notice a difference.

fatimablush

i love your regimen...and um heck yeah i am copying.

i placed the joico conditioner balm in my amazon cart for next month purchases...and aloe vera juice on the site i order vitamins from..

i just tried the aloe vera and the Trader Joe Spa conditioner mix..yes soft hair. i did have the the comb beside me just in case though...

i put my shampoo and water in one of those pump bottles that makes foam and use that to shampoo my hair.

i also use my moisture mix a couple days a week love your regimen

NaturallyATLPCH

It's great you've found what works! I do have the Joico Moisture Recovery balm and can't wait to use it. I will definitely try to add aloe vera juice to my shampoo, my hair loves aloe! Thanks for sharing, love your hair. Annabelle's products are staples for me too, Erica is the most talented woman I've ever encountered for hair AND business!

Last edited:

PlainJane

I bought the joico balm. Any tips on best way to use it? Dry hair? With heat? Overnight?

I've never heard of Annabelle I'll have to look that up too