I just had the worst experience at the salon!

kim1006

She sounds ghetto. I don't think you should give her another thought - just move on. It is her lost, not yours. She could have gained a new client.

lorr1e1

4C (natural) currently relaxed (Mizani)
-Hair has to be washed, conditioned, detangled before the arriving
-Hair can't be a certain texture e.g 4 a/b/c
-If the hair is long it is an additional fee
-More than 15 minutes late is a $10/$15 additional fee

On and on... these are the things that I have heard.
Not worth it, clearly not a trained stylist don't bother with these online people find another salon leave a review up to warn others.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Sorry you had this experience OP. Janky people who do hair is an age old problem that Instagram has just put a spotlight on. I have seen the funkiest attitudes from stylists that get mad when clients don't want their pics taken to put on Instagram. Talking about "It's my work and I'ma take pictures of it if I want to". Maynnnnnn

As a hypochondriac who studies behavior, I suspect that a lot of these people who chronically have music blaring have some hearing loss, which is also why they have a tendency to talk loud. (Not your problem as a customer) I used to tell my nephew about having music on so loud in his car that the windows vibrated with the kids in the car and fast forward they all blare music and talk louder than necessary in casual conversation. Not one hearing test has ever been done.

cocosweet

-Hair has to be washed, conditioned, detangled before the arriving
-Hair can't be a certain texture e.g 4 a/b/c
-If the hair is long it is an additional fee
-More than 15 minutes late is a $10/$15 additional fee

On and on... these are the things that I have heard.
If I gotta do all that, what do I need the stylist for? No thanks.
Black stylists who don't want to work on type 4 hair? Seriously?
If I arrive on time, and the stylist is on someone else's head, do I get a $15 discount?

I haven't been to a salon in regularly in years because the nonsense to satisfaction ratio is too high. Things haven't gotten better, I see.

Rastafarai

Here is a visual and verbal example of one :

This video really hurts my heart. I peeped 11+ passes on this poor child's hair.

From my own experience, I don't go to Black-owned salons anymore. I have experienced so many setbacks from the hands of black women stylists. From the tardiness to the stink attitudes, I refuse to deal with it. I'd rather pay significantly more than deal with all the drama and setbacks.

beloved1bx

OP- I feel for you. I've had a few bad salon experiences and even when you hold your tongue, push through to force being polite, you still get treated like crap. It's mind boggling.
Years ago I went to a stylist I found on Styleseat for a relaxer touchup. I walked into the salon and the stylist was dying a wig :rolleyes:. If it had been an actual human in the seat, I would've still been annoyed, but I know stuff happens so sometimes things run late. But for her to know she has an appointment coming up and to start coloring a wig (not attached to a human head) was so ridiculous to me. But I kept quiet and sat at the side waiting like 15mins for her to start on my hair. Finally my appointment starts, she puts the relaxer on my head and then informs me that the building doesn't currently have any running water so some young girl in the salon is going to take me across the street to wash my hair. W.T.F. I had to go outside with relaxer on my head and cross the street to the African braiding salon, who was letting her borrow their sink. I had a wedding to go to the next day so I might have put up with this crap anyway because I desperately needed my hair done that day, but she should have communicated these issues at the start and acknowledged the inconvenience.

I was a dummy/couldn't find a replacement stylist (why is this so hard?) and went back to her months later for another relaxer touchup. I walk in (on time) and there is someone else in the chair. The young woman in the chair just so happened to be someone I went to college with (hadn't seen since) and was pregnant. The stylist was just in a foul mood in general, and when working on my hair keeps complaining about her back pain so she needs me to bend my head down more and more. Yo - my CHIN WAS IN MY CHEST - it couldn't go further. Then she starts going off about how I always have an attitude problem and blah blah. LIKE WHAT??? Never went back to her again. The entitlement is unreal. I didn't go off on her because 1) the stylist and the one I knew from college seemed to be close family friends and I didn't want to make things awkward 2) my gyno had recently made me switch birth control and unbeknownst to me at the time, it was turning me into an emotional psychopath that just cried all the time.

I've recently transitioned to natural and I've attempted to learn to do braids and such on my hair. I'm not that great and the styles don't last as long, but I can't be bothered with trying to find stylists who have good customer service (and who don't charge and arm and a leg).