I know what Sole of Shoe is now

Angelicus

Sole of Shoe is in a lot of the products that I sell but I had no idea why DR chemists would put the bottom of a shoe in some hair products. I was sure that there was a mix up in the translation (kind of in the lines of the whole spermacetti mix up that us ladies had on this board).

Even though there is a picture of a sole on the labels of many products, I refused to believe that they put that in hair care proudcts. I have recently found that "sole of shoe" does have an incorrect translation. This ingredient is actually the ground up seeds of a fruit called Zapote (Sapota). I have actually eaten this fruit in the caribbean and Tampa. We call it "Mamey." :lick:

Here are some of the most popular lines that have Suela de Zapota (also spelled Zapote and Sapote) in it:

• La Bomba
  • Capilo Sole and Cinnamon (the grainy feel you get from using this product is from the ground-up Zapote seeds)
  • Q&S Sole & Cinnamon
I am unsure of the benefit from this seed but I think it is put in hair products to be used for scalp stimulation and massage. I feel better now that I know what it is :yep:

Girl!!! I am so glad you posted this. I never knew! But that did not stop me from trying Capilo, though. :)

I know Sapote Mamey, but I didn't know one could actually eat it. :D

It is also used as a relaxer: the grains are reduced to a powder. This powder is mixed with hot water. Then you apply the paste on newgrowth, leave it on for 1 to 2 hours, then rinse.

I remember Pyogazel gave this recipe for those who wanted to stretch their relaxers. :)

Last edited:
Well, thank YOU Anke!!
I'm going to try Sapote and see what it tastes like when I go home in Martinique. I'm sure my grandma knows how to eat it, or cook it or whatever...:D

Well thank you Anky and Amylee. Shoot I was saying one day if the sole of a shoe can make my hair feel this good, then huhn, theres no reason not to continue using, lol.

I found something else about Sapote and hair care:

It is a Mexican tree that can also be found in West Indiesand in South America.
Aztecs used the Sapote seed oil to define their curls.
In Mexico, this oil is used to combat dermatitis.

(Is this correct english?)

Thank you Anky. I have wondered about this for about 15 doggone years now.

*closes the book on one tiny mystery*

Well thanks for clearing that up Anky! You know I was confused. I was actually just thinking about this today.........

I have heard about its relaxing properties for curly hair, but I do not know anyone who has tried it or seen how it works. Have you Anky, spoken to anyone who has tried it? Is this kind of like the same effect as Daphne Gnidium Baka evergreen plant relaxer?
This board is so choc full of knowledge, it is wonderful. bonjour

anky said:
Sole of Shoe is in a lot of the products that I sell but I had no idea why DR chemists would put the bottom of a shoe in some hair products. I was sure that there was a mix up in the translation (kind of in the lines of the whole spermacetti mix up that us ladies had on this board).

Even though there is a picture of a sole on the labels of many products, I refused to believe that they put that in hair care proudcts. I have recently found that "sole of shoe" does have an incorrect translation. This ingredient is actually the ground up seeds of a fruit called Zapote (Sapota). I have actually eaten this fruit in the caribbean and Tampa. We call it "Mamey." :lick:

Here are some of the most popular lines that have Suela de Zapota (also spelled Zapote and Sapote) in it:
  • La Bomba
  • Capilo Sole and Cinnamon (the grainy feel you get from using this product is from the ground-up Zapote seeds)
  • Q&S Sole & Cinnamon
I am unsure of the benefit from this seed but I think it is put in hair products to be used for scalp stimulation and massage. I feel better now that I know what it is :yep:

:lol: You are not gonna belive this, but in my country (DR) they do put the sole of a shoe in the conditioners, there's even a home made version of it and yes, they will boil the a new piece of it and use it to strenght the hair line. Believe or not:eek: :D

la flaca said:
:lol: You are not gonna belive this, but in my country (DR) they do put the sole of a shoe in the conditioners, there's even a home made version of it and yes, they will boil the a new piece of it and use it to strenght the hair line. Believe or not:eek: :D
I must tell you that your hair is truly gorgeous. Could you post the recipe? I have some old shoes and I love to recycle...smile...hey, I love to experiment!!!!bonjour

Back