I loathe fake hair, and now I officially have a weave...

foxieroxienyc

Ok so I ditched the sew in's about nearly 2 years ago and have been growing my hair out since. In those two years, I haven't been working extensively in film and tv, mostly doing a lot of theater where it's quite norm to wear a wig for performances if needed. Now that I'm here in LA, the game's a little different, and the weave can be your lifesaver, but I feel it's a blessing and a curse.:look:

First off, it took some getting used to! Because at the salon I liked it, got home I HATED it. Only because I was so used to my natural hair, this new thing felt a bit weird. It was a bit too much hair to me, so I thinned it out with some thinning shears and now I really like it. However I feel like a fake around "this here" forum with this style, so this chick may go into hiding for a while until after I take this install down (and put the new one back in). I'm going to take breaks in between and likely just have my hair pressed as I think this weave is going to allow me to easily transition or looooong stretch.

It's a full weave set on a net. So it's ultra smooth, doesn't tug at my hair, only a small bit of the perimeter of my hair is left out for a high ponytail style, the bang is all weave. I have the tools and info to keep everything in check under there so this should be an interesting journey. Hell I'd BETTER book dancing in SOMEONE'S damn music video/tour/commercial/print ad soon, or else....:rolleyes: Ok enough of my mindless drivel, you want to see pics.

Sorry I look like crap it's like 4am in these shots, lol.

The flip on the ends is from the bun I slept in.

I don't have a starting pic of my own hair (I was stupid and didn't take a length shot). In any case I have like nearly 1 1/2 inches of growth from a 2 month stretch, and I'm stretching/transitioning indefinitely at the moment. I'm about grazing APL if my hair were straightened I believe. Folks LOVED my hair today at the gym (where I train), one white lady was afraid to ask me if it's a weave, lol. Thanks Oprah! I laughed and told her it was, she was like oooooh it's soooo pretty, can I touch it? :look: LOL, I knew her so I let her. Call me Beyonce, lol.

Lucia

Looks good, I understand the "fake" feeling but hey it keeps your hair from the wear and tear of constant styling, until you can figure something out for your real hair that won't damage it just take car eof your real hair underneath.
Check out Wanakee's interview on the net she found a way to style and grow her own hair while in the biz.
http://blog.blackhairtalklive.net/

foxieroxienyc

Barrel curl with the marcel iron. I got the same curl with a regular curling iron too that I bought yesterday. Jilbere Ceramic iron at Sally that was on sale actually.

foxieroxienyc

Thanks guys, I'm getting used to it. I'm going to think positively about this whole thing. This time around I'm weaving for a WHOOOOLE nother reason than the fact that I think my hair can't be this long. Instead, it's totally a protective mechanism. I looked back at some of my favorite heads of hair who have done weaves from time to time to grow their own hair out, and I feel assured. I'm diligent about the care of my hair, and will use this time (or any time I'm weaving) to give my tresses a break. In any case, as it gets longer, I will rock it for a few weeks before reweaving. For my agents, it more about the look the long hair provides than anything else. They like the "glamazon" thing, lol. Makes sense for how they want to market me.

LightEyedMami

very cute style :), i do know what you mean about feeling "fake" though...but its a mind thing so just rock your new hair.

msa

It looks great!

What type of hair did you use and what length is it?

Oh and please keep us updated on how you take care of your hair under the net. I can never get to my hair well enough with a net weave so I don't do those.

foxieroxienyc

LOL guys I've gotten used to it, embraced it, and EVERYONE loves it. I really enjoy it too now. It's not so bad, I put too much stigma and stress on the damn thing, it's only hair, and my hair is going to thrive at that, so, doin' me.

In any case, to the questions:

The hair is Outre Velvet Remy in #1 Color

My hair regimen has been changed as follows:

Wash 1x/week (I'm used to 2-3 but I want to preserve the braids).
-Diluted mixture of Aveda Rosemary Peppermint Shampoo and Hair One Olive Oil Conditioning Cleanser. Apply to scalp/my hair with a nozzle bottle, lather/massage in let it sit. Put Hair One Cleanser on weave hair. Rinse

DC 1x/week
- Silk Elements Olive Oil Moisturizing Treatment w/ heat 20 mins
Apply carefully to scalp and my hair. (Literally getting in between the tracks and applying it like grease, but enough to saturate). Apply to weave hair as well.
Quick condition rinse with Patene Natural Moisturizing Conditioner (for slip)

Leave In Conditioner:
Infusium Moisturologie. SATURATE hair/scalp under net while my hair is still wet. Massage down to weave hair as well. Spritz on the leave out hair around my edges and nape.

Spritz with Heat Protectant: Tresseme Heat Tamer Spray, on leave out hair and weave hair as well (I want this baby to last too, just treating it as an extension of my own hair).

Sit under bonnet dryer until braids are dry.

Blow dry the length of weave on medium/warm heat until dry. Flat iron/curl, and go.

At night here's what I do:
Spray scalp/my hair with Infusium Moisturologie, apply mix of Kemi Oil/Coconut Oil to scalp with nozzle bottle. 2x/week, apply diluted Mega Tek to scalp with nozzle bottle (it's mixed with a little coconut oil). Apply Elasta QP Mango Butter to Leave out hair, seal with Kemi Oil. Pin curl hair, cover with bonnet or silk scarf and go to bed. In the morning I have tossled sexy waves. Sometimes I willl give a little flip to the bangs if needed, but I don't use heat unless it's a wash day.

So far it's been good. I just washed my hair, and I'm sitting under the dryer now. I washed my hair so soon because I wanted the weave to loose some of that "new hair shine" and to sooth my scalp a bit with the mint shampoo. I'm leaving for NYC tomorrow, so I won't be washing my hair again until next weekend. I'm more privy this time around to caring for a weave and my own hair underneath than I ever was the first time around. And I saw TREMENDOUS growth then. I can only imagine how it will be now.

msa

Thanks for posting your regimen...maybe I'll try a net weave again. I was going to say, if you think you'll be using the weaves for a while you might want to invest in some reusable hair. It's expensive, but it's worth it in the end. Extensions Plus has some AMAZING hair that people say lasts them for years.

I'm more privy this time around to caring for a weave and my own hair underneath than I ever was the first time around. And I saw TREMENDOUS growth then. I can only imagine how it will be now.

Yup, that's why I love weaves. When you know how to take care of your hair underneath you can retain everything.

foxieroxienyc

I normally like to use Wagman Primus. I've used Outre Velvet Remy all the time when I was between my Wagman hair, I really like it. It always held up for 2 installs.