I Made Some Flexi 8s!

overtherainbow

So love flexi 8s but I hate paying for them. I don't mind giving them as gifts, but I protective style a lot and at $40 a piece for the mega XXL, I can't afford to buy as many as I need. So I made some today out of beading wire, beads, and remains from cheap jewelry that I never wore.

I used a hair stick that I found at sallys months ago to secure them to my hair. They are a lot more comfy than the traditional flexi 8s and secure my French twists a lot easier. It cost me roughly $20 to create 3 xxl flexi "fakes", and half of that price went to a beading multi tool that I bought from Joann's. (The multi tool was nice to have, but I could have gotten away with good old needle nose pliers)

To make them, I started at the bottom of the left loop, worked my way to the center, used a bead with 4 holes and threaded my wire straight across the bead (not in a figure 8!), made my way around again, through the center bead and interlocked the two ends. I then threaded the remaining wire back through the beads to make a somewhat neat finish. They take about 10 mins to make!
I hope this helped someone!

ETA: the last pic is really really crooked! Whoops!

Attachments

• 20160514_181110.jpg
    20160514_181110.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 149
  • 20160514_181447.jpg
    20160514_181447.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 146
  • 20160514_181728.jpg
    20160514_181728.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 131
  • 20160514_181943.jpg
    20160514_181943.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 134

overtherainbow

Hmmmm maybe I will try my hand at making these! They look beautiful, you did a great job!
Thanks! They are soo easy to make too. I never worked with beads before and found it really relaxing and satisfying. Also, they work a lot better than the regular flexor 8s because the stick is unattached so you have a lot more wiggle room and a comfier updo.

happycakes

These are nice enough to sell OP.

So love flexi 8s but I hate paying for them. I don't mind giving them as gifts, but I protective style a lot and at $40 a piece for the mega XXL, I can't afford to buy as many as I need. So I made some today out of beading wire, beads, and remains from cheap jewelry that I never wore.

I used a hair stick that I found at sallys months ago to secure them to my hair. They are a lot more comfy than the traditional flexi 8s and secure my French twists a lot easier. It cost me roughly $20 to create 3 xxl flexi "fakes", and half of that price went to a beading multi tool that I bought from Joann's. (The multi tool was nice to have, but I could have gotten away with good old needle nose pliers)

To make them, I started at the bottom of the left loop, worked my way to the center, used a bead with 4 holes and threaded my wire straight across the bead (not in a figure 8!), made my way around again, through the center bead and interlocked the two ends. I then threaded the remaining wire back through the beads to make a somewhat neat finish. They take about 10 mins to make!
I hope this helped someone!

ETA: the last pic is really really crooked! Whoops!

overtherainbow

I'm about to be at Michael's today then, lol.
Please post pics of your finished flexis if you can!

I just bought some really nice gemstone beads from an upcycle art supply shop in my city. The prices were amazing though I had to do some digging. I also plan on knitting one in black silk eventually....

Misseyl

After reading this I went ahead and bought three xxl clips for when my hair grows longer. I have smaller ones but since I went natural I will need the xxls for my natural hair. I just adore them.:afro:

krissyprissy

I'm taking notes. I love flexi 8 clips but they are so pricey. I once beaded my own wedding hairpiece with $7 in supplies and everyone thought I spent a lot of money on it.