I Need A Gel That Makes My Hair Crunchy

YvetteWithJoy

On break
For a few reasons, I need a gel that lacks cancer-causing ingredients and water insoluble 'cones but that makes the hair crunchy.

Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. Wetline did not give my hair any crunch, and it makes my hair look dusty. KCCC flakes on me unless I use a creamy leave-in or KCKT with it, which in turn prevents crunch.

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
@YvetteWithJoy have you tried Taliah Waajid's Curl Sealer? It easier to work with than KCKT and you must use when hair is sopping wet. I actually forgot about it and bought KCCC, which is pretty pricey.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
IC Fantasia
Any ecostyler
La looks (never tried personally)
La Bella curls (never tried personally)

Maybe try without a leave in. Why do you want the crunch?

Right. Crunch does not exactly equate to hold.

Thanks!

Oops! I didn't know there was a such thing as crunch WITHOUT hold. My mind can't compute!

Anyhow, I want crunchy hold so that my hair hardly tangles, my sets actually work/last, etc.

I've accomplished it before, I just don't remember how.

2018 is the year of beast mode retention from for me. All I'm missing in my arsenal is a non-carcinogenic product that yields crunchy hold.

Last edited:

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
Thanks!

Oops! I didn't know there was a such thing as crunch WITHOUT hold. My mind can't compute!

Anyhow, I want crunchy hold so that my hair hardly tangles, my sets actually work/last, etc.

I've accomplished it before, I just don't remember how.

2018 is the year of beast mode retention from for me. All I'm missing in my arsenal is a non-carcinogenic product that yields crunchy hold.
Have you tried shingling or finger coiling. Those methods keep my hair from tangling. It doesn't really matter what gel I use when I do them. It will take a while to complete either but you should be able to get a week out of style. In the morning you would need to wet your fingers and smooth any curls that are out of place and add a little gel to those pieces. Day three or four might require a full refresh ie: wetting and adding more gel and leave in as needed.

Autumn~Tint~Of~Gold

Rocking the Casbah
Thanks! DEP?
this stuff ( this is the old style bottle) :lol:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
A thick homemade flaxseed gel slathered on, makes my hair hard.

What's your recipe?

My thick DIY flaxseed gel was AWESOME . . . except it "snowed" on me (i.e. flaxseed dust constantly fell off of it, getting on my clothes, into the air, etc.).

TIA!

Allandra

I get crunchy hair with KCCC, and I don't get any white flakes. I'm sure it's different for everyone though.

frizzy

What's your recipe?

My thick DIY flaxseed gel was AWESOME . . . except it "snowed" on me (i.e. flaxseed dust constantly fell off of it, getting on my clothes, into the air, etc.).

TIA!
:wave:
My recipe is just the seeds and water. I always put leave-in and oils on my hair before using the gel. I've never used it for a WnG, only for my puffs and buns so I never got the "snow" before, just hard hair.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Oh wow I am so happy for you, girl! Your twist out is so cute!
What did you use with the gel? For how long do you hope that the twist out will last?

Thanks, lady!

I refrained from using a creamy leave-in and instead used my version of CurlyProverbz's DIY Hair Tea (recipe is in the CurlyProverbz Regimen Challenge thread). Per section I sprayed the hair with tea, squeezed it through/in, squeezed into the hair 1 or 2 nickel-sized amounts of gel, and smoothed Jakeala Shiloh Hair Balm onto the last inch before finishing twisting each twist.

I'm not sure!: I'm going to try for at least 5 days with no retwisting. :smile:

Alma Petra

Wow is that even possible? My twist out typically lasts for less than 6 hours lol. I should try the BRHG for my twist out. I never did.
BTW have you ever used wetline without a creamy leave in underneath?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Wow is that even possible? My twist out typically lasts for less than 6 hours lol. I should try the BRHG for my twist out. I never did.
BTW have you ever used wetline without a creamy leave in underneath?

I'm going to see if it's possible. Lol.

I can't remember about the Wetline. I tried Wetline a few times different ways, with a few different leave-ins and finally just let it go.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Do you have a wig in your avatar now? I thought you relaxed your hair!

Yes, it's a wig. I have been wearing a wig over my twists for 4-5 days of the week lately. It's very different for me, but it allows me to break up wash day over several days, get some GHE in, keep my hair stretched, easily get CurlyProverbz DIY Hair Growth Oil on my scalp for scalp massages, reduce manipulation and tangling and detangling of my hair . . . spend waaaaaay less time on my hair (styling is a time sink) all the while increasing the time I spend caring for my hair and scalp.

I'm trying to embrace it, so I put it in my avatar so that I see it often. :smile: