I need help protecting my hair from the sun

CarLiTa

*sigh* I live in Miami, and it's starting to get REALLY hot. Today it was 86 degrees and the sun is CRAZY. I have a problem with keeping my hair moisturized during the summer, well actually, all the way till November, because that's when it FINALLY gets cool after March :mad:

So, my hair is going to suffer and I NEED TO BE READY. About a year and half-ago, I was at band practice from August to November, and it's like 95 degrees everyday, and we spend at least two hours in the sun 5 days a week, from 3pm to 5 or 6 pm. My hair was REALLY dry, so that finally, when band season ended, I had to get a DEEP trim. It also didn't help that I though I couldnt wash my hair more than once, and the sweat would just stay there :eek: and that when I DID wear hats, I wore cotton hats, which are good to absorb the heat but the hair is just rubbing against it so much. When I washed, I blowdried all the time.

Long, I know. My point is, I need to change that. I have to kinda tweak my regimen to take into account the new temperature. This morning I really moisturized my hair and by the time I got home around 4, it was really dry, so I did a Conditioner wash.

Please give me ideas as to what i should do to keep my hair moisturized during the summer, so that it doesn't get damaged again. I'm also wondering if I can put sunscreen on my hair and whether when I start band season in July, if I should wash everday, because I sweat a lot during band season. The only thing good about it is the awesome growth I get and all the fun we have. I do want to keep the growth that I will accumulate though. Please help. Thanx :)

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
I don't know much but I do know:
Kiehl's has a Leave-in w/sunscreen in it.

Products w/ shea butter or just using unrefined shea butter as a leave-in is said to protect the hair against sun damage.

I have heard of people putting in a tiny bit of sunscreen in their hair products to use as a leave-in.

Other than that, I would recommend protective styling like buns to keep your ends out of the sun and try to deep condition frequently like 1-2 times a week. Good luck in the heat!

L

lkg4healthyhair

I believe NTM leave in has some type of UV protection

Mija

Exotical OG
maybe try adding honey & evoo/ or spectrum organic coconut oil to your conditioning treatments.

esoterica

You could try this:

Phytoplage Protective Sun Veil

"This oil-free, protective mist forms an invisible screen on the hair, shielding it from the drying effects of salt, chlorine, sand and sun. Simply mist, work through and enjoy."

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
while you're outside, wear a satin/silk scarf or hat to protect your hair from the sun. ;)

CarLiTa

Thanks ladies! I think I will get the Phytolage product as soon as I find it. I found this little recipe tath I will be using until i do find it. I'm a little apprehensive about tying my hair outside for all the world to see... but i guess I shouldn't care what the non-blacks will say, it's not their hair that is suffering, so yeah I will be wearing one, unless I find a silk-lined hat, which could also shield my eyes from the sun.

Miss_Jetsetter

Hi Carlita! I'm from Miami too! My sis was in the band when she was in high school too. She was on the dance squad. We both went to Central. Just wanted to say hi!

MJ

In another forum, the same question was asked and one of the answer was to use a combination of coconut oil and aloe gel (as leave in; mixed in the palm of your hand). Hope that helps. I plan to try it after I take these braids out in June.

lsubabiedee

avocado oil/butter has sunscreen properties....shea butter has some as well...a lot of leave-ins have sunscreen added...or u can just add a bit of sunscreen to ur leave-ins

CarLiTa

Miss_Jetsetter said:
Hi Carlita! I'm from Miami too! My sis was in the band when she was in high school too. She was on the dance squad. We both went to Central. Just wanted to say hi!

Hello! I know a lot of people who go to Central. I live in NOrth Miami but I go to Coral Gables, which is in Southwest. It's good to find someone else from Miami on this board.

thanx for the advice, ladies!