I Relaxed My Hair!! (Long)

bablou00

Bless your heart you shouldnt feel like you have to apologize to others for your choice. You have probably helped so many when you were natural and will now that you made the decision to relax. Your post was very heartfelt and I wish you the best of luck w/ relaxed/texlaxed hair.

rosalindb

I was really worried about my Daughter who looks up to me and she is Natural and prefer it that way, she tried to stop me, but then said "Well mama just do what you want to, it is your hair, just leave mine alone." Now that is one thing I don't think no one can take away from her and that is her natural hair, She has been taught to appriciate it and how to care for it.

As long as you are happy that is all that matters. I think the exchange between you and your daughter was extremely touching and I agree that you have done a great job.

SignatureBeauty

Congrats Nappy. Girl you dont have to apologize about what YOU do to YOUR hair! You have 2yrs experience so your natural advice is still valid, no matter what. My question, if you dont mind me asking...if you were natural for 2 years then why did you still have a TWA? shouldnt you have been chin or shoulder length by now???

I still had a Twa because at 7-8 months I was at a stage where it was too long to do this and too short to try that and I became frustrated and bc again, but then I would miss the little growth that I had, I can't afford to get braids plus I really don't like them and I don't care for wigs, then my hair seemed like it wasn't growing as fast as I would have liked, but it had normal growth, But if I would have been patient I am sure I would have had chin length or shoulder length, But either way I will still become frustrated with my hair LOL!!

Last edited:

SignatureBeauty

There was a time when sisters didn't feel they had to explain or apologize for wearing their hair natural or straight. Afro, puffs or bone straight, it was all black and beautiful. What happened? :-(

Mini-vent aside, you have nothing but love and respect from me for choosing to do YOU, and not what others dictate.

Thank You so much Connie, I appreciate that:yep: And it is still all Black & Beautiful, I wasn't apologizing for Relaxing, I was apologizing to those who have looked up to me as far as my Twa and when I shaved my head, and when I had bascically no edges and then they grew in,I really connect with the Women on here and feel that I can talk to them about anything, Therefore I have nothing to hide, I refuse to apply a Relaxer and then have my hair look all 3a/3c and curly/wavy and claim that I used a Certain Product to get that look on 4a/4b hair, and most of us know that isn't gonna happen. I am just an Honest Person and if I change I let the Board know, I just wanted those who looked at me through my Hair journey to know why I did what I did and if They felt that I let them down then I apologize, But I am not apologizing for my hair:yep: I am just stating that my Journey into natural hair is over as of now.

Aussie

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! gurl im wit u!!!!! everything u said i am thinking the same thing. i booked my natural naps for a relaxer 2 weeks from today. to each her own!!!!!!!!!!

ill post pix when its done!!! my 2 yr natural journey was great!!! but its time to be me again lol. im young...... can always be natural again:yep:

SignatureBeauty

Aussies you are too much! LOL!! I am sure your hair will look good, I think it looks good now, But if I want to be natural again I will not do the BC LOL!!! I mean we are Beautiful whether we are Natural,Straight,Curly,In Between, My hair don't make me, I make the Hair and besides no matter how I choose to wear my hair, I will still have to deal with the Same issues of being a Black women in America! I can change my hair, but I can't change my color! (unless you can afford to be permanently altered)LOL!!!

Last edited:

Connie

Thank You so much Connie, I appreciate that:yep: And it is still all Black & Beautiful, I wasn't apologizing for Relaxing, I was apologizing to those who have looked up to me as far as my Twa and when I shaved my head, and when I had bascically no edges and then they grew in,I really connect with the Women on here and feel that I can talk to them about anything, Therefore I have nothing to hide, I refuse to apply a Relaxer and then have my hair look all 3a/3c and curly/wavy and claim that I used a Certain Product to get that look on 4a/4b hair, and most of us know that isn't gonna happen. I am just an Honest Person and if I change I let the Board know, I just wanted those who looked at me through my Hair journey to know why I did what I did and if They felt that I let them down then I apologize, But I am not apologizing for my hair:yep: I am just stating that my Journey into natural hair is over as of now.

I feel you, and I understand, trust me. It wasn't that long ago when I became a member on another hair board that shall remain nameless and was excited about transitioning from relaxed to natural hair. The plan was to grow as much new growth as I could stand before doing a big chop, but I still intended to flatiron or blowdry it straight, and the idea of exposing to all that heat on a weekly basis didn't sit well with me. I knew then that going natural wasn't and isn't for me at least right now. The short journey was worth it, because I learned that there's more to our natural hair than puffs and afros, as well as how I could better care for it should I decide to go natural in the future. :)

Aussie

Aussies you are too much! LOL!! I am sure your hair will look good, I think it looks good now, But if I want to be natural again I will not do the BC LOL!!! I mean we are Beautiful whether we are Natural,Straight,Curly,In Between, My hair don't make me, I make the Hair and besides no matter how I choose to wear my hair, I will still have to deal with the Same issues of being a Black women in America! I can change my hair, but I can't change my color! (unless you can afford to be permanently altered)LOL!!!

lol Micheal Jackson did!!!

SignatureBeauty

I feel you, and I understand, trust me. It wasn't that long ago when I became a member on another hair board that shall remain nameless and was excited about transitioning from relaxed to natural hair. The plan was to grow as much new growth as I could stand before doing a big chop, but I still intended to flatiron or blowdry it straight, and the idea of exposing to all that heat on a weekly basis didn't sit well with me. I knew then that going natural wasn't and isn't for me at least right now. The short journey was worth it, because I learned that there's more to our natural hair than puffs and afros, as well as how I could better care for it should I decide to go natural in the future. :)

LOL!! That is true at least you got to see your hair and learn how to deal with it, But one day we might be ready for real and never look back LOL!! But I haven't gave up on going natural!!

babyblue

Nappyparadise, it must be something in the water because I bit the bullet and relaxed my hair a few weeks ago after almost 7 years natural. 2 main reasons are I wanted to get rid of excessive bulk/shrinkage and I pretty much wanted to try something new. I was researching like mad over the past few mos. I'm quite happy with it. I'm only dissapointed that my hair didn't come out straight enough.

SignatureBeauty

Nappyparadise, it must be something in the water because I bit the bullet and relaxed my hair a few weeks ago after almost 7 years natural. 2 main reasons are I wanted to get rid of excessive bulk/shrinkage and I pretty much wanted to try something new. I was researching like mad over the past few mos. I'm quite happy with it. I'm only dissapointed that my hair didn't come out straight enough.

LOL!! I hear ya! Maybe your next touch up it will come out straight for you, I really enjoy the ease of my wash n go!

scorpian

:ohsnap: NappyParadise and to babyblue:grouphug3:
I would hope that the ladies would support you just as much with the relaxer as they did with your natural hair. I did the same thing(texturized) the beauty of our hair is that we have endless options :yep:

SignatureBeauty

I would hope that the ladies would support you just as much with the relaxer as they did with your natural hair. I did the same thing(texturized) the beauty of our hair is that we have endless options :yep:

Oh! No Doubt! We get Love no matter what we do to our hair and that is Wonderful,The Ladies here are Wonderful and Helpful and that is why it is so easy to change up whenever you feel like it LOL!!! I have been back and forth like 3-5 times and Got support everytime LOL!!!!! But I am staying with this one for awhile:yep:

BTW Scorpian your hair is very healthy looking and beautiful!

scorpian

Oh! No Doubt! We get Love no matter what we do to our hair and that is Wonderful,The Ladies here are Wonderful and Helpful and that is why it is so easy to change up whenever you feel like it LOL!!! I have been back and forth like 3-5 times and Got support everytime LOL!!!!! But I am staying with this one for awhile:yep:

BTW Scorpian your hair is very healthy looking and beautiful!

awww....:thankyou:

sareca

Cool! I always say that but never that succinctly. I'm gonna have to put that in my siggy. :yep:

Aussie

wow if ladies on here stop giving you advice because YOU MADE A DECISION FOR YOUR OWN HAIR...... (KEY WORDS: YOUR OWN), then that is pretty sad!! i am relaxing my hair soon and I would hope that I still get the same support from both natural and relaxed heads, just like I am when I am natural.

Aussie

Ok i went to the salon today to get my relaxer. Here is how it went:

I based my hair the night b4 because I know stylist dont base your hair like THEY SHOULD!!! I went in today and as soon as I sat down she did about 6 parts and based.... THAT WAS IT:perplexed!!! Thank God I based myself because I surely would have burned :burning:if I relied on that little lip gloss that she thought would protect my scalp. After that she just started slapping the relaxer on my hair..... didn't detangle my hair or anything. Once again I took the precaution to detangle the night b4. I didn't realize she was putting the creamy crack on UNTIL i looked in the mirror. I was stunned that she started without asking what strength, or relaxer I would like to use. WOW!!! But I took it upon myself to ASK ANYWAY!!.... While she was smoothing the relaxer with her hands it started tingling in the back. I told her and she told a stylist to put some neutralizer on that spot. HUmmmmm... it worked for like 2 mins.

After that the wash lady took me to the wash bowl and started READING A MAGAZINE!!!!!!!! HELLOOOOOOOOOOOO chemical on my head!!! :ohwell: I told her that my head was tingling and it was time to rinse it out. SHE HAD THE NERVE TO SAY HOLD ON LET ME GO CHECK WITH THE STYLIST TO SEE IF I SHOULD WASH IT OUT:help:!!! huh??? whose head is at risk??? I looked at her and said "lady its burning". So she rinsed it out. Geez!!! When she rinsed it out I asked her if there was a protein step before the neutralizer and she said yes. So she put it in my hair and I sat with a shower cap over my head for about 15 mins while she washed other girls. HUmmmmmmmmm once again I was just thinking about this site and wondering if I could get some LCHF nazis to come knock some sense into these ppl:hardslap:. WHen she finally got back to me she washed it out and ONCE AGAIN i asked her can she leave the neutralizer in my hair for 5 mins. She said "well im going to wash you like 3 times so the relaxer should be out". I said " Well i want my PH to go down in my hair so I want to leave it on".

SHe looked at me like she didnt even know what PH meant.... damn shame. So she started washing my hair and I asked was the neutralizer color indicated. GUESS WHAT SHE SAID??.... " um no this is a neutralizing shampoo".... so i said " So is this the neutralizer that color codes?"... she said " No its a neutralizing shampoo not a neutralizer"..... After that I felt like taking her head and:wallbash:!!!! LMAO!!! she just didnt get it. So after she washed me 3 times, I asked again if she could leave it on.... just then someone had to get their hair blow dried so she said she will leave it on and come back to wash it. lol Good thing she had to blow dry because I was getting mad that she would rinse it after lathering my hair for 2 seconds. So about 10 mins went by and she finally came back to wash it out and wash my hair again. So by then I knew my hair was happy and my mission was complete. Lol I really thought I would leave the wash bowl upset. After rinsing she put the deep conditioner on and I sat under the dryer for about 20-30 mins. (They were getting busy). After rinsing my for the last time I got my rollerset:gorgeous:, sat under the dryer again, and got my hair wrapped. Job well done I would say. Hardly any hairs came out and she had to trim a light amount off my ends.

I got home, moisturized, sealed, and trimmed my own hair to remove the nap knots at the ends that formed due to my natural hair, so now I have nice layers. My hair journey for armpit length starts today. Thanks LHCF:grouphug:!!!

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.

WOW!!!!!!!

supportive, but in shock!

Tene

Don't feel bad, I relaxed my hair december of last year cause I got tired of the shrinkage, etc.

cabellera

Nappy P, I can completely understand your decision. Style alternatives and change are an asset to any woman. Not to say that Naturals don't have option. Just be happy that you can make such decisions, between being natural or relaxed. Some of us are unable to relax due to allergic reactions from the chemicals within them.