I spent 45 minutes at the barber shop

PuddingPop

with my son yesterday because someone was getting a weave ???? :spinning::spinning::spinning:

Now I have been taking him to this barbershop for over a year and never saw such a thing.

One of the barbers cut the girls hair in a mowhaek with the sides really low and then proceeded to glue some tracks into the middle to add length. My mouth hit the floor at this big, burly , manly man hooking up a weave and working a flat iron :lachen::lachen::lachen:

The barber in the next chair was razor cutting a womans hair and I thought for sure he would be done at that but then he broke out the marcel irons and curled it. I was shocked

Now this is a straight barber shop, not a beauty salon that happens to have barbers in it thats why I was so surprised. I didnt know barbers could do hair like that. Do they custoomarily learn everything in cosmetology school?

e.lauren

with my son yesterday because someone was getting a weave ???? :spinning::spinning::spinning:

Now I have been taking him to this barbershop for over a year and never saw such a thing.

One of the barbers cut the girls hair in a mowhaek with the sides really low and then proceeded to glue some tracks into the middle to add length. My mouth hit the floor at this big, burly , manly man hooking up a weave and working a flat iron :lachen::lachen::lachen:

The barber in the next chair was razor cutting a womans hair and I thought for sure he would be done at that but then he broke out the marcel irons and curled it. I was shocked

Now this is a straight barber shop, not a beauty salon that happens to have barbers in it thats why I was so surprised. I didnt know barbers could do hair like that. Do they custoomarily learn everything in cosmetology school?

Yup ! At cosmo school they learn EVERYTHING. which is great because it makes them very versatile. I have a friend in cosmo school and right now she's learning nails as well.

Jasmataz

:lachen:That's funny!

kandake

I thought barber college and cosmetology school were two different things.

But I don't knock these dudes for acquiring more skills to make more money.

Last edited:

PuddingPop

These guys did a really good job too. I always thought barber college and cosmetology school was 2 different things too.

It was just so funny because you have your stereotypes of men that do women's hair and then to be in a shop full of men doing hair and none of them fit that stereotype in any way , shape, or form, it was just a sight to see.

Yoshi3329

You know, I got my hair relaxed once by a barber. He really hooked me up! My hair had swing and errythang :spinning: and only for $50 bucks.:grin: My sister said they could have done the same thing for less, but then, looking at their head, I said to myself "naw, I'm straight.":look::ohwell:

I'm seriously considering going back if he's still there. I wonder if he can do transitioning hair?:scratchch

lizzyb168

My friend used to go to one barber for her eyebrows. He charged cheap prices and seriously hooked her up. Wen i first saw him do it i was in awe.

My Friend

Barber School and Cosmotology are two different things. Each state has a different set of rules and regulations :yep: Even if your state does not allow Barbers to perform those services, who's going to stop them? Normally state board's have 5-7 representatives :ohwell:

OriginalMe

My dad is a barber and he used to razor my eyebrows before I started getting them waxed by the Koreans. He was very good at it.

Tif392002

yea they do learn everything that cosmos learn, im in school to be a nail tech in a cosmo school, and i seen this tatted up thug doing a rollerset, he say he was a barber... he have to 1500 hours like the cosmos, maybe thats just here in texas

Last edited:

Hysi

my husband is a barber and has many female clients. He was my best rollersetter and can really do nice styles with rollers, long or short. I use to go to a barber that did the best ocean looking waves into ponytails and did my brows. He did all the women back in the day. Hell, my beautician couldn't even do waves, lol

cluelezz

Over here (NJ) you learn errythang. I know a bunch of people that went to cosmetology school (and I looked into it for myself). They had to learn nails, facials, cutting, chemical processes and all of that. My father figure used to do my relaxers, DCs, cutting and curling. He did my eyebrows once too. I think a lot of men just choose to only cut.

mango387

I always get my eyebrows arched at barber shops by a barber. I trust two different barbers to get my brows just as I like them. When I lived in Cali, I was shocked to learned that nail technicians arched eyebrows.

LisaLisa1908

What 40 looks like.
My male hairdresser is as straight as they come, and he does an AWESOME job with long hair.

A lot of men are versatile and can do barbering as well as salon styling. In Detroit, a good percentage of them aren't gay either.

PuddingPop

Over here (NJ) you learn errythang. I know a bunch of people that went to cosmetology school (and I looked into it for myself). They had to learn nails, facials, cutting, chemical processes and all of that. My father figure used to do my relaxers, DCs, cutting and curling. He did my eyebrows once too. I think a lot of men just choose to only cut.

Oh, well then I guess they are licensed to do everything beacause this shop is in NJ. I always though that barbers were just barbers.

LittleLuxe

LOL, I'd love to see the day someone's hair stylist catches an attitude and tries to peep who's doing her clients hair since they stopped coming...only to see a Mr. Thugnificent with rollers going "I told you bout using too much heat in yo head, you tryin' break all this off??" in a deep baritone.

choctaw

LOL, I'd love to see the day someone's hair stylist catches an attitude and tries to peep who's doing her clients hair since they stopped coming...only to see a Mr. Thugnificent with rollers going "I told you bout using too much heat in yo head, you tryin' break all this off??" in a deep baritone.

:lachen: and then he starts singing to you <Issac Hayes: If Loving You is Wrong>

And are you wrong to fall in love
With a stylist man
And am I wrong trying to hold on
To the best hair I ever had
If flat ironing you is wrong I don't wanna be right
If roller setting you is wrong I don't wanna be right

Chameleonchick

Yes barbers learn everything that cosmetologists learn just some things are learned without all the details. After that its just practice if they want to get that paper.

glamazon386

It depends on the program. Some schools offer more than one program. I think the full cosmetology license includes everything - hair, nails, skin care, make up artistry, etc. Some schools have separate programs for nails, hair, make up, barbering, etc.

glamazon386

Mine did this to me when I came back with a broken off patch once. :look: I hadn't been to him in a while. He's gay though so I didn't get the same effect.

hairmaster

The way things are going now you have to know how to do services for clients, If you can do the son's hair and then the moms you just increased the money in take. the prices and time spent in a salon, think about it.