I spoke up !

Fine 4s

I finally told my braider what I needed from her.

If you remember, I paid my $5 b/c I was inspired by a thread which dealt with walking out of a salon because of poor service.
I told her in a half joking way 'girl, next time I come to see you, I do not want to see a small comb NEAR my head!' She actually laughed and said OK.

I get to keep my braider AND preserve my hair. I actually have to pile on more guidelines and restrictions like please moisturize if my strands are dry, and do not untangle roughly and please use a big comb to part AND untangle. I don't care if the parts aren't crisp. Having that small tooth comb in her hand is just setting myself up for her to slip up and put it through my kinks. This means that taking care of my hair might take longer (to take her time and untangle and if I have to pay more so be it.) This also means that I will have to untangle my hair THOROUGHLY before I go to her. IF it's not untangled well enough, or if my hair is misbehaving, I'll have to cancel simple as that. She braids from home.

I can't wait to see how this experience will pan out!

PureSilver

Oh well i've learned too many times the hard way, so much so that speaking up for me now is a breeze. I pay for what i want get done in the right way,(THE LHCF WAY) not for them to do what they feel is right for MY HAIR. I'm happy up sopke up for urself, she should now bear in mind what it is each of her customers like.

amwcah

Good for you! I usually have a conversation with my braiders about how I take care of my hair (ie no combing, no direct heat, etc.). They kind of get the idea based on that. Also, I make sure I comb out my hair right in front of them. I feel this models how I want them to take care of my hair.

I just got my hair braided yesterday, and I was very pleased how she managed through my new growth. She even asked to use my wide tooth comb. :yep:

wheezy807

i'm glad everything is working out. I had been with my stylist for over 10 years and this year i decided to dump her just to avoid that situation. So far i am happy with my new stylist and look forward to healthier hair practices at the salon. I was tired of the struggle between us and her sarcastic remarks here and there. I'm not a licensed stylist but i must be doing something right! Lol, good for you! Sorry i had to let that little vent out!

balisi

Good for you, Taino! You were tactful in your request and your stylist cared enough to comply with your wishes. This sort of thing needs to happen more often.