I tried a new relaxer!

sareca

For those of you that don't know me, I've been a diehard Phyto fan for the last few years. When I was texlax'g once/year it wasn't a big deal to use this very expensive relaxer, but to get more consistent results I decided to start texlaxing every 3-4 months. Well that's about $280/yr after shipping and what not. :eek: So I've strayed from my beloved (and hoping I don't regret it) to Silk Elements Lye Regular.

So here's what I did. I didn't touch-up my whole head with SE. I had one box of Phyto left so I parted a 1-inch wide section of hair above the nap and applied the SE to the NG. I rinsed, conditioned, neutralized, conditioned then braided it, covered it in grease and put on a plastic baggy and proceed to do my regular touch-up with Phyto. So now I have my test section with SE and my regular Phyto on all my other NG.

I want to see how the SE hair wears over time. When I've had bad relaxers in the past I couldn't tell right away. It took about 2 months before it started to break off (if it was going to break off). My next touch-up is scheduled for June. If that hair is still healthy I'll use SE to do my entire touch-up. If it's lookin' bad I'll repeat the procedure I just did with another relaxer.

Right now all I can say is the SE hair does feel silkier and a bit more moist than my Phyto'd hair.

Oh and SE didn't burn me at all (which was why I moved from lye) but I think I want a little more curl left so I'll definitely be using mild instead of regular. I thought reg would be ok since I add keratin, silk and oil to my relaxers. I also heard that SE reverts a little more than other relaxers so I'm anticipating it will curl up more in the next few weeks.

I'll keep ya'll posted.

Last edited:

sareca

DITTO!! Show us those different textures!

Anyways, I remember you pondering the though of using SE.
I switched over to it to texlax from using ORS and I don't regret it one bit. My hair really is silky and I didn't have to add anything to it!

I'll take pics when I get home, but I'm not sure if you can see the texture difference, but I can feel it with my fingers. It's more wavy, less curly, and much more smooth. It feels almost like glass, but soft. :) I'm definitely going with mild next time.

sareca

Thanks for the support ladies. I'm pretty excited and I feel pretty comfortable doing it this way. I wasn't at all comfortable with the idea of applying SE to all of my NG and hoping for the best. Even a strand test doesn't tell you much if you immediately proceed with relaxing. :huh: I guess it will tell you if the relaxer is going to melt your hair or something dramatic. I've always done strand tests and I know that even the ones that go perfectly smoothly can result in massive amounts of breakage later. I just don't trust 'em. :nono:

This I trust. If I'm still undecided I might even repeat this SE/Phyto procedure again to see how it wears in 6 months before I commit. :yep: I love having that option.

Ganjababy

I used to use phyto for nearly 10 years. I started using silk elements to texlax a few months back and I love it. Before using SE my hair was always hard and rough feeling and very dry. Now 3 months into my stretch my hair is still soft and no longer dry. It does revert a little bit though. Maybe thats because I use the mild with 1/4- 2/3 olive oil or cholesterol added. Thanks for the info and keep us updated Sareca.

sprungonhairboards

Sprung reads title...

HUHHHHHHHH! :blush:

grabs rosary, runs to dark corner, sits down, wraps arms around knees and rocks back and forth quickly with eyes close whispering in tongues :ill:

sareca

Sprung reads title...

HUHHHHHHHH! :blush:

grabs rosary, runs to dark corner, sits down, wraps arms around knees and rocks back and forth quickly with eyes close whispering in tongues :ill:

LOL! :pray:

I know, I know... I keep checking the weather. I just know there's
gonna be a bulletin from Hades reporting below freezing temperatures! :cold:

Last edited:

Nayeli

Two years ago, I carried a SE shampoo and conditioner for my stylist to use on my hair. She loved it so much that she went out and bought the relaxer and now, that's what she uses on her clients. I love it! :grin:

sareca

SE Lye Regular section

Phyto Index I

It's not exactly a fair comparison because the nape was pulled straight by my headband.

Last edited:

BrooklynSouth

For those of you that don't know me, I've been a diehard Phyto fan for the last few years. When I was texlax'g once/year it wasn't a big deal to use this very expensive relaxer, but to get more consistent results I decided to start texlaxing every 3-4 months. Well that's about $280/yr after shipping and what not. :eek: So I've strayed from my beloved (and hoping I don't regret it) to Silk Elements Lye Regular.

So here's what I did. I didn't touch-up my whole head with SE. I had one box of Phyto left so I parted a 1-inch wide section of hair above the nap and applied the SE to the NG. I rinsed, conditioned, neutralized, conditioned then braided it, covered it in grease and put on a plastic baggy and proceed to do my regular touch-up with Phyto. So now I have my test section with SE and my regular Phyto on all my other NG.

I want to see how the SE hair wears over time. When I've had bad relaxers in the past I couldn't tell right away. It took about 2 months before it started to break off (if it was going to break off). My next touch-up is scheduled for June. If that hair is still healthy I'll use SE to do my entire touch-up. If it's lookin' bad I'll repeat the procedure I just did with another relaxer.

Right now all I can say is the SE hair does feel silkier and a bit more moist than my Phyto'd hair.

Oh and SE didn't burn me at all (which was why I moved from lye) but I think I want a little more curl left so I'll definitely be using mild instead of regular. I thought reg would be ok since I add keratin, silk and oil to my relaxers. I also heard that SE reverts a little more than other relaxers so I'm anticipating it will curl up more in the next few weeks.

I'll keep ya'll posted.

I'm hoping you like it the way I do. I bought one small container, liked it then bought the large tub, using the small jar to carry a supply to the salon for my retouches.

chellero

Wife Supremacist
I love silk elements mild lye. I used it for my first self texlax instead of using affirm (the brand my stylist used) and it's wonderful.

sareca

I'm hoping you like it the way I do. I bought one small container, liked it then bought the large tub, using the small jar to carry a supply to the salon for my retouches.

So far so good. It's only been 1 week but it still feels silky. :) I love the idea of buying things in bulk. :yep: Especially when they're not expensive to begin with. :drunk:

I love silk elements mild lye. I used it for my first self texlax instead of using affirm (the brand my stylist used) and it's wonderful.

I haven't heard any breakage stories from folks using SE. Even the folks that hated it only said it underprocessed. That's exactly what I'm after! I'm hoping for great things. My big concern is that it is gentle on my scalp.

Last edited:

tapioca_pudding

I used SE regular w/ a shot of oil for my last touchup (I relax straight).... :love: it!!!!

I'm about 3+ weeks post and have had no probs so far. I'm kind of frustrated that I've spent over $100 on relaxers since joining LHCF (ORS, Design Essentials, Mizani) only to fall in love with the $5 boy from Sallys. :rolleyes: :lol:

I'm going to keep my eye on my hair but I am thoroughly pleased. :D

I hope you love it too Sareca!!

sareca

I used SE regular w/ a shot of oil for my last touchup (I relax straight).... :love: it!!!!

I'm about 3+ weeks post and have had no probs so far. I'm kind of frustrated that I've spent over $100 on relaxers since joining LHCF (ORS, Design Essentials, Mizani) only to fall in love with the $5 boy from Sallys. :rolleyes: :lol:

I'm going to keep my eye on my hair but I am thoroughly pleased. :D

I hope you love it too Sareca!!

Yeah, I know what you mean. If this works for me I'm gonna be p/o'd! :lachen:I've been spending $54 + shipping per touch-up for years now. :wallbash:

sareca

Well it's been 2 weeks and so far so good. It hasn't reverted at all (like I'd hoped it would), but I think mild and more oil will get me what I'm looking for.

kbody4

I'll keep ya'll posted.

My hair reverts as well, and I don't mind. I love SE because it didn't burn like other lye relaxers I've used. I'm glad you are happy with it.