I want locs but....

L.Brown1114

What happens when you see a REALLY cute style you want?
What do you do when you want to go back to loose hair? Can you transition or would I have to shave everything off?

Iv been told I look better with box braids/yarn braids and I love the get up and go thing when you dont have to worry about styling your hair. I just HATE sitting down waiting for it to get braided for HOURS and then taking it down for HOURS 3 months later and rebraiding it for HOURS a week or two after that and paying $180 each time....

for those of you that have locs what are the pros and cons?? sorry if this topic has been done before i havnt been on here in awhile

mayoo

What happens when you see a REALLY cute style you want?
What do you do when you want to go back to loose hair? Can you transition or would I have to shave everything off?

Iv been told I look better with box braids/yarn braids and I love the get up and go thing when you dont have to worry about styling your hair. I just HATE sitting down waiting for it to get braided for HOURS and then taking it down for HOURS 3 months later and rebraiding it for HOURS a week or two after that and paying $180 each time....

for those of you that have locs what are the pros and cons?? sorry if this topic has been done before i havnt been on here in awhile

Hiya!
I had locs for 3 years and it was great because I literally didnt do anything to it except for when i went to get it retwisted every 6 weeks BUT....

It was really hard seeing other girls with really nice hairstyles that I couldn't do or just didn't look right on my head. :ohwell:

When enough was enough, I picked up the rat tooth comb and unravelled each and every one:grin: It took me about 2 weeks to do it but I was so happy afterwards because i now had BSL hair so no you don't have to transition or cut them off BUT...

Because my hair had been loced for so long (3 years) it was very dry and fragile :ohwell: I think it could have gotten better if i had taken care of it more... but i didn't know about healthy hair care back then

As for braiding, why don't you do it yourself? It will save you the money:grin:
That's what I used to do

L.Brown1114

Hiya!
I had locs for 3 years and it was great because I literally didnt do anything to it except for when i went to get it retwisted every 6 weeks BUT....

It was really hard seeing other girls with really nice hairstyles that I couldn't do or just didn't look right on my head. :ohwell:

When enough was enough, I picked up the rat tooth comb and unravelled each and every one:grin: It took me about 2 weeks to do it but I was so happy afterwards because i now had BSL hair so no you don't have to transition or cut them off BUT...

Because my hair had been loced for so long (3 years) it was very dry and fragile :ohwell: I think it could have gotten better if i had taken care of it more... but i didn't know about healthy hair care back then

As for braiding, why don't you do it yourself? It will save you the money:grin:
That's what I used to do

thanks so much for responding!! LOC must not me a popular topic....

OMG I have TRIED to do my own braids but I cant grip tight enough at the base or braid neat enough for it to last long and I don't have the patience especially with box braids they take FOREVER!!!

faithVA

[USER=154616 said:
L.Brown1114[/USER];17882809]thanks so much for responding!! LOC must not me a popular topic....

OMG I have TRIED to do my own braids but I cant grip tight enough at the base or braid neat enough for it to last long and I don't have the patience especially with box braids they take FOREVER!!!

You may want to do a search for LOCS. There is/was an entire thread or support group.

SimJam

Locs nowadays are much more versatile than they used to be. We have loc salons here that do really beautiful styles with locs.

HOWEVER I still prefer the options presented by loose natural hair.

Fhrizzball

I've seen pictures of girls with locs that can even get sew-ins and the like. You can always try loc extensions and see if that's for you or if you want the change of pace try that as those last a pretty good while I hear.

But yea the smaller the locs the more versatile they'll be. I can hardly handle my hair being in twists long so I know I won't have the patience of locs.