I want to be a blond...

MaryJane3000

I want to be a blond like Beyonce. Not when she goes crazy with the bleached wigs but just some nice blond color on the top layer of my hair and with the bottom half untouched. But as crazy as this sounds I want it to look natural. Not like someone dumped a lot of bleach on my hair. I saw a picture of my mom when she was younger and she had the prettiest sandy brown color with the top part looking almost blond because of the sun. My natural color is much darker than hers and Beyonce's but there has to be a way I can do this, right? I'm also fearful that ill get the highlights and then my hair will fall out....although for a period of almost 6 months I did color my whole head AND get a relaxer just about every month and my hair didnt completely fall out although it was very unhealthy. So maybe it can take it? But knowing my luck my hairs been too spoiled and now it'll act up if I put the bleach on it.

Suggestions?? Has anyone gone from a naturally medium/dark brown hair to blond highlights? I want something like Beyonces hair in this pic....MUSIC FAB: New Beyonce Single Drops In 3 Weeks? + Nicki Minaj Calls Into Funkmaster Flex's Show | The Young, Black, and Fabulous

I would like to know this too . I thought about doing the exact same thing earlier this year but let the thought go after I couldn't find any healthier alternatives other than to bleach .

I want to be blonde too LOL. However, I know what color can do to hair so I pass, I won't risk it. Yes there is a way you can do it. Color dries out hair and makes it weak, so I've heard extensively so if you know how to combat it, you might love it. If you think the results are worth it, go for it. As long as you love it.

I wonder if they can put a light blond color on my hair to get the desired shade instead of using bleach to do it...that would probably look more natural and be less damaging right?

Our hair requires a lot of processing for it to go blond and not have the brassy orange/yellow color.
Several members have managed to lift their colors many levels, the ones who come to mind are BlackMasterPiece and @blondbydesire
There are several threads about the topic, if you think your hair can handle it, then go for it.
But I would think long and hard if I were you. IMHO,

Honestly I dyed my whole head "Honey Blonde" color using a box dye (clairol texture & tones) and it came out really light. I think it depends on your natural hair color because if my hair was a jet black, it would probably come out as a light brown,but im a color 1b.

My friend actually dyed her hair blonde from a Loreal box dye. However, her hair was an auburn red from years of using Henna. That's probably why she got her desired blonde color. I think it's pretty hard to do it on black/dark brown hair unless you get lightening processes over time repeatedly or just straight bleach it.

i think I'm a 1B I have a dark rinse in my hair now because I wanted to see what it would be like but I want something different. Once my color fades back to normal I think I'll use the Clairol Luminize, a gentle lightening conditioner, and gradually lighen my hair and then have them deposit color highlights only on the top half of my hair so just in case it breaks off I wont have to loose all of my length.

Last edited:
sounds like an adventure! would you consider installing a few weave tracks with blonde streaks instead? i know it would be more difficult to make weave tracks look as natural as you would like, but i'm nervous for you. your hair looks great

As Conterria said, I've permanently lightened my entire head of hair starting off naturally at 1b to brown on the bottom half and auburn on top with golden blonde highlights.

Think about this decision, think about it, and think about it some more. Make sure you REALLY wanna do this. I think its a great idea that you're going to go the clairol luminize gradual route I think doing it incrementally is the way to go.

Ask as many people with long healthy beautiful colored hair as many questions as you can. I asked blondebydesire trillions of questions amung others and practically lived in the naturals with colored hair thread. I did research on caring for color treated hair for probably a good year before I finally went for it. Now that I have I'm super happy with the color and the way it compliments my complexion and features. My fro's are even more dramatic and when I straighten my hair its super striking.

On the flip-side.....be ready for HIGH MAINTENENCE HAIR. I can't be lax like I used to and I have to stay on my p's and q's. I had to re-learn my hair and its needs. Now I have to do Aphogee every month, I have to do a DC with every wash, I have to reduce my heat usage and moisturize more often. Its been an adjustment but I'm actually getting used to it. All in all I needed a change and I'd been wanting to color my hair forever, I'm glad I went for it and I'm gonna enjoy it and maintain it for as long as I want it:yep:

I want to be blonde too LOL. However, I know what color can do to hair so I pass, I won't risk it. Yes there is a way you can do it. Color dries out hair and makes it weak, so I've heard extensively so if you know how to combat it, you might love it. If you think the results are worth it, go for it. As long as you love it.

I could not have said it better myself!! See my avatar? I LOVED my "beyonce" like color! If you aren't trying to grow your hair out right now, GO FOR THAT COLOR!! Now, it took 3 different lightening processes to achieve the color that I had in the pic. You can do several alternating protein/moisture treatments prior to the color, finishing up with a hardcore aphogee prior to your color ( if you are going to do this yourself ). Then WEEKLY you must keep up with your protein/moisture reggie, along with making sure your properly moisturzing your hair on the daily...... I myself, would just get clip in color from sally's or your local beauty supply store, so you can take it out when you get sick of it, with no risk at all, or do a wig/weave. If you choose to color, I personally would do it in a salon, with a trusted professional that you have had at least 1 counseltation with so that you are both on the same page about how long the lightening process will take and the before and after care of your new tresses once the color has been completed. In the end, no matter what ANYONE said, it's YOUR hair, and you can do what you wish :) OF COURSE you already know this :):drunk:

Attachments

• 012120053-vi.jpg
    012120053-vi.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 21
  • ttonalasitlooksinthepicIloveit-vi.jpg
    ttonalasitlooksinthepicIloveit-vi.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Why am I having the same itch?

I will be reading about getting color fo the next few months so I can make an informed decision...

But it's hair, you're supposed to play with it, and if all else fails, it WILL grow back :)

i dont have pics but my hair is a honey blonde. i went to aveda to have it done. it didnt turn out exactly how i wanted so i did it myself about 2 months later. i used a dark and lovely color(dont remember the color but the girl on the box has natural hair). my hair did not dry out and i continued my normal conditioning routine.
i deep condition every time i shampoo, use a leave in and moisturizer every time i do my hair, and co wash often. this is no different than how i treated my hair before i got the color.
im natural but my hair needs more protein than moisture it seems so i try to do a light to medium protein 1-2 times a week. your hair might not need this though.
and 97% if not more, of the products i use are natural. in fact the only product that i use that is not natural is my aphogee shampoo for damaged hair.

I'm not a weave fanatic, but this sounds like an occasion where I would put in some tracks. You might get bored with the color after a while, anyway. Beyonce would probably never lighten her real hair like that. Get a sew in with some color and rock that for a while.

So I thought about it more and that bright blonde looks great on Bey but on me and at my job I dont think so....sooo I concluded i really want something like Stacey Dash, but only on the top half of my hair...i've wanted her hair color for a while but Beyonce's hair really gave me a kick in the butt and made me want it more. i think I'll ask for bronze and dark/medium honey blonde (is that a real color?) highlights???? what do you all think? I'm relaxed and I refuse to put bleach on my hair so whoever i go to will just have to comply with that.

Butterfly08 has beautiful double processed hair, and her color is lovely. you may want to ask her what she does or how often she gets it touched up.

i stay far, far away from lightening my hair, ever since a bad experience i had with the dark & lovely color back in 07, but when done in the correct skintone-flattering shades, i think it looks great on others. PLEASE make sure to keep up with the moisture though....i haaate seeing bone dry blonde highlights on AA women!

I was seriously thinking about dying my hair blonde, also. Either blonde highlights or half & half. I had to really talk myself out of it, though, since dye really dries my hair out and I am not ready for the upkeep. The decision not to dye became really difficult when I came across videos for Rhythm Hair Salon on youtube. They specialize in hair color. Unfortunately, they are in Columbus, GA and I'm in PA, but I was ready to make an appointment and drive down there. Their videos are good to use as a reference. Here are the links to a couple of their videos:

YouTube - Haircoloring with FOILS on BLACK HAIR

YouTube - IN-SALON HAIRCOLORING CLASS : PART 4

YouTube - RHYTHM HAIR STUDIO TV: "BLACK & BLONDE"

Back