I Want To Go Natural? So Clearly I'm Losing My Mind....

brownb83

:lachen:. Y'all I haven't been natural since I was 7? I want lower maintenance hair but will that be the case?

I'm 100% sure I have 4 xyz hair however...

I'm scared.

ok so what styles do you wear? heat? No heat?

Discourage me, or encourage me tell me all about being natural :drunk:.

faithVA

:lachen:. Y'all I haven't been natural since I was 7? I want lower maintenance hair but will that be the case?

I'm scared.

Why not let your relaxer grow out for about 4 months to give you some idea of what your new growth is like. Then you can be more sure if you are a 3 or a 4. Then you can decide if you want to relax again or transition to natural.

I seriously doubt that your hair will be lower maintenance unless you can get away with wash n goes or you can wet bun. Most other styles regular some time and effort.

How do you wear your hair now? How often do you shampoo, condition, style? Do you rollerset?

Thump

Scorpio Queen
Why not let your relaxer grow out for about 4 months to give you some idea of what your new growth is like. Then you can be more sure if you are a 3 or a 4. Then you can decide if you want to relax again or transition to natural.

I seriously doubt that your hair will be lower maintenance unless you can get away with wash n goes or you can wet bun. Most other styles regular some time and effort.

How do you wear your hair now? How often do you shampoo, condition, style? Do you rollerset?

I transition for 9 months and the new growth that I grew in that time was nothing like when I finally big chopped. I don't know whose hair was on my head during that time but it was not the hair I ended up with :lachen:

brownb83

I have box braids. I wash and flay iron once a week but working out with straight hair ain't it. I was rollerset ting but I can't rollerset my hair straight.

brownb83

I transition for 9 months and the new growth that I grew in that time was nothing like when I finally big chopped. I don't know whose hair was on my head during that time but it was not the hair I ended up with :lachen:

how was it different?

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
Meh it depends on what you consider low maintenance. When I was relaxed I did not do my own hair. I would wrap at night and unwrap in the morning. I relied on a stylist for everything. Now that I'm natural I only go to a stylist for color. I wash and style my hair once a week. I consider my hair to be pretty low maintenance. It doesn't take much to do it. I really only wear wash n goes. How do you envision wearing your hair? Do you plan on straitening? What are your expectations?

Thump

Scorpio Queen

I'm scared.

Going natural was one of the best things that I did my entire life. We were relaxed at a very young age and kept doing the same thing as adults because we didn't know any better. It is a damn shame that young black girls and black women don't know anything about the hair that grows out of their own heads and are taught to despise it.

I love my naps even.:2inlove:

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
Going natural was one of the best things that I did my entire life. We were relaxed at a very young age and kept doing the same thing as adults because we didn't know any better. It is a damn shame that young black girls and black women don't know anything about the hair that grows out of their own heads and are taught to despise it.

I love my naps even.:2inlove:

The bolded gets me every time. I had this mind set that you had to straighten your hair if you were an adult. I also thought /assumed that my natural hair was just unmanageable which is the furthest thing from the truth.

von rose

So I'm going to play devil's advocate here but I don't think natural hair is easier for me. I'm very busy and pretty inept when it comes to hair styling, even knowing my porosity, curl pattern, and strand size. This made relaxed hair easier because I would get it relaxed every 6 - 8 weeks, wash and rollerset every 2 weeks, and have it in a bun/ponytail the entire time. No fuss, no mass detangling or 3 day long mini-twist session, just comb through, bun and go. Now my hair is very temperamental and requires so much upkeep that the only reason I haven't gone back to permanent straightening is because 1) I realize don't like anyone touching my hair as I'm tender-headed and as an adult no one can force me to let that happen; and 2) I don't look good with straight hair.

If you enjoy doing your hair and learning new techniques then it may be great for you but I'm not all that interested. I'd rather spend my time reading scientific articles or practicing the violin over doing my hair :/ Sorry y'all.

Thump

Scorpio Queen
how was it different?

Well I thought it was going to be super thick, soft, fluffy and easy to comb because it was before I big chopped. It is not any of those things. I have at least 3 textures and all of them are fine strands so I need to be extra delicate and ain't nobody got time for that. I would not care how nappy it was if I had the same texture everywhere. My tightest areas are the easiest for me to deal with and hold a style the longest.

brownb83

Meh it depends on what you consider low maintenance. When I was relaxed I did not do my own hair. I would wrap at night and unwrap in the morning. I relied on a stylist for everything. Now that I'm natural I only go to a stylist for color. I wash and style my hair once a week. I consider my hair to be pretty low maintenance. It doesn't take much to do it. I really only wear wash n goes. How do you envision wearing your hair? Do you plan on straitening? What are your expectations?

I don't have any expectations. I can do my own relaxed hair I just want to be able to do an easy style that fits into my active lifestyle.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@brownb83,

The concept "natural" psychologically seems like it should go along with the concept of "ease," as in "She's a NATURAL at that!" and "He's a natural singer!"

So in the back of my mind . . . as I was transitioning from wearing relaxed hair to wearing natural hair . . . I thought, "At least my hair will be NATURAL, which means it'll be in the state it wants to be in and thus probably EASIER than this breaking, thinning relaxed hair."

I was wrong. :lol: Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay wrong. My hair is not easier to care for in its natural state than with a relaxer. For others, this may not hold/apply.

And I have had a really hard time adjusting to the TIME SINK that caring for natural hair is. It is now very much worth it to have tranitioned, but I was seriously freaking out about having 4-6 hour wash days (not including styling!!!). Part of the reason for such a time sink was because I'm not really a hair handling type of gal, had a lot to learn, and was struggling. But the other part was simply that natural hair CAN require a level of detangling and styling that is so much more involved than they were for my relaxed hair.

Can you corn row? Can you flat twist?

I can't do either. If I could, often for two weeks at a time or longer, I would have corn rowed or flat twisted my hair and worn a wig, crochet braids, etc. NOW THAT would have made having natural hair "easier" than having relaxed hair that is worn out, in a sense.

If you are going natural with the express goal of having hair that is easier, I'd say that's not necessarily going to be the case. It could be for you (based on how caring for your relaxed how fares and whether your natural hair ends up being very tangle-prone or not). But I would NEVER advise someone to go natural so that their hair care will be easier. OTHERS will have the exact OPPOSITE experience as me, so maybe they can share their alternate experience/perspective! :smile:

brownb83

@brownb83,

The concept "natural" psychologically seems like it should go along with the concept of "ease," as in "She's a NATURAL at that!" and "He's a natural singer!"

So in the back of my mind . . . as I was transitioning from wearing relaxed hair to wearing natural hair . . . I thought, "At least my hair will be NATURAL, which means it'll be in the state it wants to be in and thus probably EASIER than this breaking, thinking relaxed hair."

I was wrong. :lol: Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay wrong. My hair is not easier to care for in its natural state than with a relaxer. For others, this may not hold/apply.

And I have had a really hard time adjusting to the TIME SINK that caring for natural hair is. It is now very much worth it to have tranitioned, but I was seriously freaking out about having 4-6 hour wash days (not including styling!!!). Part of the reason for such a time sink was because I'm not really a hair handling type of gal, had a lot to learn, and was struggling. But the other part was simply that natural hair CAN require a level of detangling and styling that is so much more involved than they were for my relaxed hair.

I can't do either. If I could, often for two weeks at a time or longer, I would have corn rowed or flat twisted my hair and worn a wig, crochet braids, etc. NOW THAT would have made having natural hair "easier" than having relaxed hair that is worn out, in a sense.

If you are going natural with the express goal of having hair that is easier, I'd say that's not necessarily going to be the case. It could be for you (based on how caring for your relaxed how fares and whether your natural hair ends up being very tangle-prone or not). But I would NEVER advise someone to go natural so that their hair care will be easier. OTHERS will have the exact OPPOSITE experience as me, so maybe they can share their alternate experience/perspective! :smile:

Ah thanks! That is what I think, sigh. My hair is super thick so IDK about too easy. thanks for feedback.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Ah thanks! That is what I think, sigh. My hair is super thick so IDK about too easy. thanks for feedback.

Please don't let me discourage you. I just wanted to keep it real about my experience.

I'm sure there are lots of thick-haired naturals who have figured out how to braid, up-do, etc. every two weeks and leave their hair alone in the interim. That sounds easy to me! My issue is tangling and detangling, and not having a lot of braiding/twisting skills.

CoilyFields

I say go for it.

But you will have to change your mindset from a relaxed to a natural one. Your methods and routines will have to change. If you go in expecting that then it will be easier to deal with the change (and give it time).

For example,
I had to divorce myself from the "neat" and "smooth" looks that I was used to and learn to love a different aesthetic
I had to learn my hair...which took a long time, trial and error, and a lot of products
I had to change my routine and spend long hours dedicated to detangling and styling but had to realize I had already been spending hours of my life at the salon anyways.

I think every black woman should go all the way natural at some point in her adult life. It seems wrong that we should be a stranger to our hair in it's most authentic state. And if you choose to go back, thats cool, but I say just try it.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Maintaining my natural hair is easy breezy for me. I wash weekly then braid for a braidout, to wear under a wig, or to bun.

The transition sucked and I never want to do it again. Learning my hair wasnt an easy process either. But once you get an idea of what your hair needs, it gets a lot easier.

If you want to be a straight natural and you sweat a lot, you may struggle.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I say go for it.

But you will have to change your mindset from a relaxed to a natural one. Your methods and routines will have to change. If you go in expecting that then it will be easier to deal with the change (and give it time).

For example,
I had to divorce myself from the "neat" and "smooth" looks that I was used to and learn to love a different aesthetic
I had to learn my hair...which took a long time, trial and error, and a lot of products
I had to change my routine and spend long hours dedicated to detangling and styling but had to realize I had already been spending hours of my life at the salon anyways.

I think every black woman should go all the way natural at some point in her adult life. It seems wrong that we should be a stranger to our hair in it's most authentic state. And if you choose to go back, thats cool, but I say just try it.

I agree with 100% of this post. Every word. Well said.

Theresamonet

You want to go natural for the perceived lower maintenance of natural hair?

If that's your only reason, and your hair is healthy, I think you should keep relaxing.

brownb83

I say go for it.

For example,

Thank you! Yes I want to try it once. I think I will transition under braids/ wigs/ faux locs.

Last year I wore crochet braids for a year and by the time Got to 6 months with no perm it took me 40 mins to detangle in the shower.

Thump

Scorpio Queen
@brownb83,

So in the back of my mind . . . as I was transitioning from wearing relaxed hair to wearing natural hair . . . I thought, "At least my hair will be NATURAL, which means it'll be in the state it wants to be in and thus probably EASIER than this breaking, thinning relaxed hair."

Man, the most time my hair gets is maybe 4 hrs including putting in small twist that will last at least 3wks. Other than that it gets maybe 45 mins. I wash, condition and put in 6 braids for a braid out. I can't do wash and gos anymore because its too long now and it's layered waist length so it gives me a mullet look. I am thinking about big chopping again because I love the feeling of freshly washed hair every day.

qchelle

I consider my hair very low maintenance. I'm 4a/b with fine strands and low density. It takes me a few mins to detangle (I do it soaking with condish). I wear wash and gos 80% of the time* (cuz it's easy) and do mini twists (myself, with my own hair) for 1-3months when I want to protective style.

I cowash a few times a week cuz of the gym. I love having fresh hair! I wash with bentonite clay and deep condition maybe once a month. But its ok, since I cowash so often. And I enjoy cowashing.

I do blow/twist/Bantu knotouts for very special occasions only. These are the styles that are hard on my hair (manipulation) and take a long time (setting, drying, taking out, fluffing).

*Im convinced doing regular wash and gos keeps my hair in a constantly untangled state. My hair really doesnt have a chance to get tangled.

SuchaLady

Natural hair is not low maintenance. I will not discourage you but it is not low maintenance at all so don't go into it thinking that's what you're gonna get no matter what people tell you. Pretty sure most naturals just get over or used to what it takes to take care of it and it becomes second nature.

Furthermore, the most styling I ever see done on natural hair is either here or YouTube. I don't see intricate styles with natural hair in real life :duck: So if you are planning on keeping it braided up and/or straightened then maybe but I doubt it :look:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I consider my hair very low maintenance. I'm 4a/b with fine strands and low density. It takes me a few mins to detangle (I do it soaking with condish). I wear wash and gos 80% of the time* (cuz it's easy) and do mini twists (myself, with my own hair) for 1-3months when I want to protective style.

I cowash a few times a week cuz of the gym. I love having fresh hair! I wash with bentonite clay and deep condition maybe once a month. But its ok, since I cowash so often. And I enjoy cowashing.

I do blow/twist/Bantu knotouts for very special occasions only. These are the styles that are hard on my hair (manipulation) and take a long time (setting, drying, taking out, fluffing).

*Im convinced doing regular wash and gos keeps my hair in a constantly untangled state. My hair really doesnt have a chance to get tangled.

:lol:

My hair tangles INSTANTLY with wash and go's, but I'm figuring it out! I have to: I don't have time all the time to install twists, roller sets, flexirods, etc.

qchelle

:lol:

My hair tangles INSTANTLY with wash and go's, but I'm figuring it out! I have to: I don't have time all the time to install twists, roller sets, flexirods, etc.

Aww :lol: yea I don't have time for those styles that require setting either lol.

The gel from the wash and gos makes my curls clump together and stay separated, preventing tangling even when it dries.

What do you use as your styler?

Theresamonet

:lachen:. Im really texlaxed but I will admit I'm ignorant about natural hair.

I've been going back and forth between natural, relaxed, and texlaxed for over a decade now. Lol. There are things I enjoy about all 3. There are some ways in which being natural is easier, and I love not being bound to any type of touch up schedule. But I could never say it is low maintenance. And any naturals that I've personally come across that have said different, have either had really loose textures, or wore looks and styles I dont want any parts of. Lol

Miss617

Always left of center
I got my hair relaxed at a young age, and kept getting relaxers for over 15 years. My last relaxer was almost four years ago. I didn't really plan to go natural, I was just lazy and broke LOL. I transitioned instead of BCing and had zero idea how to take care of my hair. I just started trying to style it within the past year. Is it easy? Heck no! I have no idea about porosity, hair type or anything like that. But I can figure out through trial and error what works for my hair and doesn't. Yeah, it's a learning process, and some days I get really frustrated, but the one time I really felt like going back to the creamy crack, my DH talked me out of it.

I will say though, I actually enjoy doing my hair and have fun experimenting with new styles. When I was relaxed, I either wore it out, in a bun, or in a ponytail. That was about it. Now I wear different twists, braids, the occasional wash and go. I feel like my hair is more versatile now.

All ^^ that to say, there will be learning curve, but if you pay attention to your hair, there's no reason you can't learn to love and enjoy it in its natural state! And if it seems like too much work down the road then yeah, you can always get it relaxed. Or you can wig or weave it up, or be a straight haired natural. There are so many options! You'll figure out what's best for you. :)