I Want To Make This Product At Home. How Would You? Tia!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
:wave:

I feel like I shouldn't be paying $22.99 plus shipping for this Naturalicious 5-in-1 clay treatment/wash as frequently as I do. I really, really don't. :look:

I'm not really a mixtress, but I'm gon' learn!

How would you make this at home? Where would you suggest I buy my ingredients? What MEASUREMENTS/AMOUNTS of each ingredient you'd use would you initially try?

ANY help/tips/advice is GREATLY appreciated! :sneakyhug:

Here are the ingredients in the product:
Moroccan Lava Rhassoul Clay, Deionized Water, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Vegetable Glycerin, Theobroma cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Olea europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Vitis Vinfera (Grape) Seed Oil, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Phenoxyethanol

junipertree

With clay masks the amount of clay will determine how much of the wet ingredients you add. Since there are quite a few wet ingredients here you may just need to play around with it until you get it right. The way the ingredients list is written you know water is the wet ingredient most included.

I would add the water until almost at the same consistency of the product or some combo of the water and aloe vera juice in a ratio that suits your hair (depending on if you like AVJ or not). Then add maybe 1/4 tsp if the glycerin and oils (maybe a little more of the glycerin). Again it depends on how much clay you start with. It's really a texture thing for me when I do clay masks.

Naptural85 has a rhassoul clay mask recipe on YouTube. She uses different oils and only AVJ (no water) but that should help you measurement wise. HTH! Good luck!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Thanks so much for the links and tips so far.

Blending the original recipes, the tips from above, and the recipe here . . .

I think I might start out with this and tweak until it looks right. Then I'll trial it on my hair. I have never used glycerin before. Does that look like a good proportion of glycerin, or too much?
  • 1/2 cup (or 4oz) of Moroccan rhassoul lava clay
  • 3 tablespoons of water
  • 1 tablespoon of aloe Vera juice
  • 1 tablespoon of glycerin
  • 1 tablespoon of sweet almond oil (instead of olive oil)
  • 1 tablespoon of grapeseed oil
  • 1 tablespoon of avocado oil
  • 6 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar (unfiltered, with mother) (this was in a recipe at NaturallyCurly here: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlr...ay-mask-recipe-that-will-give-your-hair-life/)
TIA! I'm excited to get started figuring this out. If I get this down, it'll be hard to tell me ANYTHING about me not being a mixtress! :tongue:
:supergrin: :thumbsup: (those are THUMBS and not middle fingers. I had to check! LOL!)

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
My advice to you is to get some clay, add water and whatever else you want to add. The best thing about clay is that you can't mess it up. Maybe make it a little less effective, by you can't mess it up.

Rhassoul is very moisturizing so be careful. It can get your hair too soft.

Bentonite can strip your hair more than you think.

Red clay may stain.

You can use any clay. The ones I mentioned are just the most popular.

Paying $22 is a rip off when a $10-15 amount will last you much longer.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I went to my neighborhood Sprouts today to see if they carry all the needed ingredients.

All oils were available.

Regarding the clay, they only had bentonite clay (the Indian Healing brand or something or other), but the lady helping me gave me several websites from which to buy clay and other ingredients more economically. I think I like this one: https://www.newdirectionsaromatics.com/products/clays/rhassoul-clay.html.

I have every ingredient but the clay and glycerin. She said the recipe likely was referring to vegetable glycerin. Oh! :look:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
My advice to you is to get some clay, add water and whatever else you want to add. The best thing about clay is that you can't mess it up. Maybe make it a little less effective, by you can't mess it up.

Rhassoul is very moisturizing so be careful. It can get your hair too soft.

Bentonite can strip your hair more than you think.

Red clay may stain.

You can use any clay. The ones I mentioned are just the most popular.

Paying $22 is a rip off when a $10-15 amount will last you much longer.

Thanks so much!

Yes. It's expensive. I wouldn't mind ordering the more economical Ooo La La Locks box (or whatever it is) that contains the whole line if not for the SMELL of the non-clay items. Oh my goodness: I really like the way these products and the Naturalicious regimen overall do my hair. However, the SKRONG, SKRONG smell of Grape Now and Laters that never, ever, dissipates . . .

I can NOT. :nono: The best I could do was ask them to consider an unscented version of their wavy and kinky lines.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I went to my neighborhood Sprouts today to see if they carry all the needed ingredients.

All oils were available.

Regarding the clay, they only had bentonite clay (the Indian Healing brand or something or other), but the lady helping me gave me several websites from which to buy clay and other ingredients more economically. I think I like this one: https://www.newdirectionsaromatics.com/products/clays/rhassoul-clay.html.

I have every ingredient but the clay and glycerin. She said the recipe likely was referring to vegetable glycerin. Oh! :look:

That's the clay I use. Honestly, just clay and water works fine. Everything else is just for fun. And you don't need exact amounts. I've found if I mix mine to a runny consistency, I can stretch my clay and it still does the job.