I want to stop RELAXING my Daughters Hair.........

bleau

Hello Ladies,I was wondering is it possible for me to stop
Relaxing my daughters hair,for the simple fact it does not
last on her hair it doesn't even last 3wks.before it is
newgrowth again and I don't relax it often,but she does get
a press once a week and it is healthy,but I have heard that
once you get chemicals in your hair that you have to continue or cut your hair off and statr over,I don't want to
do that to my daughters hair,it is very healthy and full but I just need some tips/advice,she can't do braids because for some reason her hair falls out bad no matter how much I keep it oiled,so just help me out ladies with
some advice,and Please don't judge me about chemicals in my
daughters hair,it is just that the relaxer don't last!!

Thanks Ladies

karezone

My sisters hair is like that also. What we did was stop relaxing but you have to keep it clean, conditioned and in a protecitve style. I kept her hair cornrowed so that her hair can gorw with out breaking. Now she is completely natural.

She gets a wash, condition and press weekly courtesy of my aunt.

As long as the hair is healthy before you began trying to grow it out, you should be fine.

soulchild

[ QUOTE ]
I have heard that
once you get chemicals in your hair that you have to continue or cut your hair off and statr over

[/ QUOTE ]

That's definately not true. I know of several ladies who have succesfully transitioned their hair to natural without having to do the big chop. You can just gradually cut or trim until there are no more relaxed ends left. You just have to take special care in keeping the new growth and the point where the natural hair and relaxed hair meet very moisturized to prevent breakage. Off the top of my head I know Peachtree and Hairlove are transitioning so maybe you can PM them. Also try doing searches on transitioning and extending relaxers.

Peachtree

U DO NOT HAVE TO CUT OFF YOUR DAUGHTER'S HAIR

U can "transition" the hair from relaxed to natural, just as Soulchild has already mentioned.

U will be dealing with 2 textures of hair...both having their own special needs. Basically just keep the new growth & demarcation line moisturized (water based moisturizer followed by oil based moisturizer). Then moisturize the relaxed strands & ends... (although ur gonna be chopping away slowly at the ends).

Condition, condition, condition! Oh yeah, u'll DEFINITELY need to condition

This will keep both textures from those very aggrevating tangles. Yep, that's gonna happen, especially on the relaxed section of hair. But don't worry, after a while of dealing with the 2 textures, u'll become a pro at avoiding tangles before they even start.

I know that I didn't give u much concrete/detailed/product specific advice... didn't want to overwhelm u.

If u want more specific info, let me know

By the way, how old is your daughter? (( I'm not judging u
... I'm just curious...we have sumthin' in common... I have a young daughter too
))

bleau

I am sorry ya'll I don't mean to sound harsh when I say don't judge me for the relaxer it is just I went to another
hair board and they gave me the 3rd degree about relaxers in
my daughter's hair,but she has nice hair but I am so sick of
relaxing when it don't last but I want to stop and just let
it grow,she is 8yrs.old her hair has been relaxed for about
1year,so not very long,but I will keep it moisturized,so tell me how to keep the new growth soft?? I have tried wild growth but the smell is to strong for her at school,but I will do some research and keep photos of her hair as the transition goes by,Thanks Ladies,You all are so real and I
like that!!!!

Crysdon

She'll be fine. Just like Peachtree said, you will have to continue to condition the newgrowth and make sure you use lots of moisturizing products (shampoo, conditioners, cremes, leave-ins, etc.)

[ QUOTE ]
I went to another hair board and they gave me the 3rd degree about relaxers in my daughter's hair,

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me guess, it was a "napptural" hair board.

Peachtree

[ QUOTE ]
but I will keep it moisturized,so tell me how to keep the new growth soft?? I have tried wild growth but the smell is to strong for her at school,but I will do some research and keep photos of her hair as the transition goes by,Thanks Ladies,You all are so real and I
like that!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I use to keep my new growth soft & manageable...
-Just as Crysdon mentioned, use moisturizing poo's (CON, Motions Lavish are my favs
)

- Use moisturizing conditioners (Motions Moisture Plus, Pantene Hydrating Curls, Lustrasilk Aloe Enriched Creme Cholesterol Conditioner )

- Hot Six Oil (pour bottle w/Olive oil as the 1st ingredient). Has a blunt fruity aroma, kinda oily when applied to wet hair, but not so oily when the hair is dry. Penetrates very well.
- Avocado Oil... a bit thinner than hot 6 oil. Penetrates very well.
- Castor Oil...thick as what! Appears to sit ontop of the hair (cuz of the thickness), but will eventually penetrate. Once fully penetrated, the new growth is tremendously soft
. U can also dilute this oil with other thinner oils. This will allow for quicker absorption.

Sample wkly regime...
-Hot oil treatment (u can use Hot 6 oil, but I really like VO5 Moisturizing)
-Wash with CON or Motions Lavish (lather once is sufficient)
-Condition with Motions Moisture Plus (u can sit ur baby under a hooded dryer if she'll have it. If not, then cover with a plastic cap & let her play around the house for a few hrs, then rinse).
-Apply a leave in (I love Motions Nourishing & VO5 Detangle & Shine. If tangles become too overwhelming, then u may want to try Biolage Leave in Tonic. I've never used it, but I've read wonderful reviews of it. ** I'm buying some today!! ** )
-Apply Hot 6 oil through out (from new growth to ends)
-Style in either plaits, cornrows, buns, etc.

** Depending upon the climate, u may wanna sit ur baby under a hooded dry to speed up the drying time. Don't want little precious to catch a cold while the hair is airdrying **

Oh, another thing, are u familiar with CO washes? Basically u'll apply the conditioner as though it was a poo, rinse, then apply more conditioner (cover with plastic cap, sit under a hooded dryer), rinse. THIS IS AN EXCELLENT MOISTURE ENHANCER TO THE HAIR! Based on ur daughters hair needs, u may wanna add this mid week.

Another thing, If her hair gets really stubborn & unmanageable, try adding Lustrasilk conditioner (I'm naming this conditioner cuz it works for me), cover with a plastic conditioning cap, leave on for 8 hrs, then rinse. (Do this on a Sat
)
Please keep in mind that 8 hrs may be toooo long for your daughter's hair needs... I leave it on overnight... I have very, very thick strands... this is why I choose to leave it on so long. If ur daughters hair is thin, then only a couple hrs will do

For more tips & advice, I invite u read my regime under the "Feature of the Month". I have a "MOPS" section that has helped me tremendously with my overall hair health

Sorry for the long post.... I'll try to shorten them next time

I feel like I'm leaving something out...
U may wanna send Hairlove a pm... she raves on Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair Butter on the new growth. She can tell u more about it. I'm waiting on my shipment now... so once I get it, I'll report back to ya'

Ok, I'm outta here.

Best wishes luv,
Tana

Ipanema

Bleau, a product called Sta Sof Fro is very good for softening the natural hair. It comes in a brown tube and has a drawing of a man & woman both with afros. Also, it does not have a strong odor.

Britt

Peachtree ur pics in your album are beautiful, I must tell u ! Your little gilr looks like a doll in your avatar.

amoor

bleau
I have an 8 year old that has never had any chemicals on her hair. It is about 5 inches from being waist length. All the above suggestions are great. I would also suggest that you handle the her hair as little as possible. Find styles that last a week or longer. I do two strand twist which last about 2 to 3 weeks. Do deep conditioning and hot oil treatments to help keep the hair soft. good luck

Ginn1

Bleau, I have 2 daughters I have been transitioning since may with no problems. Please listen to the other ladies when they say condition and moisturize, this is what has allowed my daughters to maintain healthy relaxed hair while transitioning. I am currently CON washing with Sauve Tropical Coconut Conditioner 2x weekly. I follow with Keracare Moisturizing Conditioner. Then I spray on Infusium 23 and follow that with S-curl activator. I seal ther ends with QP mando butter and use protective hair styles. I use a clarifying shampoo 1x monthly followd by Creme of Nature Shampoo I then use a reconstructor like Aubrey Organics GPB or if their is more breakage than usual we use Aphogee protien treatment. Then follow with the keracare, etc. I have been trimming about 1/4 inch off every 2 months to maintain their ends and slowly cut out the relaxed hair. I Flat iron their hair for special occassions and am always suprised by the growth. Their hair has become so much thicker and fuller. Since finding this board in Feb. their hair has grown so much I am so impressed with the knowledge of the women on this board.

Peachtree

[ QUOTE ]
Britt said:
Peachtree ur pics in your album are beautiful, I must tell u ! Your little gilr looks like a doll in your avatar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Britt

I have some pics of her hair in my album... (the album is private that's why they can't be seen). Once I finish adding my daughter's pics & my mom's pics, then I'll change the album to public

bleau

Thank you Ladies so muchhhh!! I have took down notes and
made a shopping list but I have a couple more questions
for you experts,Would I have to spay a mixture on her hair
daily like water and a conditioner? and what kind of activator you all talk about? like the ones they make for
jerry curls? if so is it a gel or spray? but I have wrote
down every product that you ladies have named,Well about a
year ago I had decided to get her hair braided since it was
summer and school was out and her hair was relaxed so I took
her to get it done she had the afro puff hair,now I oiled it
and her scalp and I thought I had done everything right,so
when time to take the braids down my daughters hair came out
with it,I mean the afro puff was gone the texture she had was gone and it was so thin I could see through it,and the
length was gone,and it took forever to get some lenght back
but the afro puff texture never came back and it seems hard
for her hair to grow and I chewed the lady out for the simple fact she did not apply any oils or a leave in and on top of that my daughters hair was wet,and I did not know this,I thought she knew what she was doing,My daughter is
very tender headed and her hair is fragile,so the only way for her hair to come back to the way it was is to start fresh because at the newgrowth you see the waves so I know
her puff will come back it is just waiting to come out,also
how do I keep the edges smooth? But I will make a photo album from start to finish and when done I will show you all
the progress,but is it okay to press it everyonce in a while? She use to get it pressed before I put a relaxer in it and it was healthy that way,but hey you live and learn,and she has not had braids since then,I am so scared because I can't afford to lose her hair again but I am gonna follow the advice of ya'll and keep you all posted,and thank you ladies for not being mean about my daughters hair being relaxed,Thank you!!