I wanted to hate on Castor Oil until....

luxe.li.

So alot of people love Castor Oil and swear by it, and personally I think it's too thick and leaves my hair oily and greasy. I hate when my hair is oily and greasy.

So I washed my hair yesterday, well conditioner washed it, then deep conditioned it, and I baggy with alot, when I mean alot, I mean alot of product. Almost too much, I'm just experimenting.

I used so much Castor Oil, Coconut Oil, Shea Butter, that it disgusted me and I grabbed my bottle of Biotin shampoo and washed my hair. My hair felt a bit stiff after that, so I applied some leave in detangler, and I left that in to soften my hair. Then I washed that out, and I kept rinsing my hair to get the leave in conditioner out, because I really do not like a lot of product on my hair.

See I knew that the next morning I was going to blow dry my hair out and flat iron it. So I baggied for the night, without any product.

I THOUGHT I washed all the product out of my head. I thought I did, but the next day when I went to blow dry my almost all dry, but a little damp, hair, my hair began oiling up.

So I'm hating it I'm flat ironing my head and its just oily and grease substance on my hands and comb and flat iron. I'm thinking okay it held the curl nice, and it straighten quicker than usual, but just as a personal preference, I do not like oily and greasy hair.

So I finish my hair style. I'm about to curse castor oil, because I'm just thinking some how my hair must of absorbed it, and when I thought I washed it out, it really wasn't gone, when I look down at my sink and the only hair I see, are the ends that I clipped off.

I had NO STRAY HAIRS, NO BREAKAGE, NO SHEDDING...well just like 2 or 3 strands, but for me?? I can fill the sink with shedding or broken pieces of hair. Which I considered normal, until today.

Wow is all I have to say......:lachen:

RNmom

I just bought some today - I'm not even sure why I bought it. I read about it somewhere on here when I was lurking, (I think someone had really beautiful hair and mentioned it.) I'm not really sure how I'm supposed to use it. I'm a newbie so I was going to use it to seal my ends. So you suggest baggying with it? What do I do with this jojoba oil I just bought? Wow - I'm becoming a product junkie fast :grin:

luxe.li.

Honestly I say experiment. I do not like greasy hair so I think I put too much Castor Oil on my head. And I didn't even think of the idea of just using it to seal my ends, but all I know is a mixture of Castor Oil, Coconut Oil, and Shea Butter (which had Jojoba Oil and Tea Tree Oil in it) kept my hair from breaking off and shedding this morning when I flat ironed.

But you should just experiment with it.

MrJohnsonsRib

I may have to go buy some castor oil now and try it out. I don't feel bad cause the stuff is particularly cheap and I have grown acustomed to lil hairs in my sink to the point where its expected and I just sorta dealt with it,but this gives me hope.:yep:

ShaniKeys

I'm new to Castor Oil too (I bought the Jamaican Black castor oil from honeyfig.com), but I must say I understand what the rave is about.:grin:

SuchMagnificent

Taking a Break from Posting
How about we all try it and come back and report our end results.. I went to my local store and they showed me a bottle that I just KNEW was the wrong thing. Where can I get it locally?

isawstars

I was the same way!!! til yesterday when i gave it another try. I moistrized my hair and used it to seal my ends. I must have just used too much the first time or my curls like it better than when i had bone straight hair. I only used maybe 3 drops on my ends and my curls felt soooo soft!

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Glad it worked out! See, you were about to curse poor little innocent castor oil for no reason! :grin:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
well ill hate on it then. i dont like it. i used the black one, the light one and the one mixed w/ other oils. its too greasy for me and does nothing for moisture!plus i dont like the way it smells. maybe this will make my try it again.

ajacks

I only use it mixed with conditioners. Other than that it is way too thick for my fine tresses. I do love it though.

tgrowe

I recently learned the truth about that dang castor oil. I thought it was rather thick when I poured from the bottle a small amount into my palm. And it felt kind of sticky or very stiff as I put it on my hair. The next day after I used my hot rollers, I was pleasantly pleased with the softness of my hair. That castor oil is the ish!

camilla

I am relaxed i use castor oil for twistouts or when i am going to bun the next day i only use a few drops throughout my hair after i co wash i use hawian silky 14 in 1 thanks tiffers:grin::lick: then i seal with a little castor VERY LITTLE .... result SILKY SHINY goodness

isawstars

well ill hate on it then. i dont like it. i used the black one, the light one and the one mixed w/ other oils. its too greasy for me and does nothing for moisture!plus i dont like the way it smells. maybe this will make my try it again.

HAHAHA, danggg girl! :lachen: I think you should try it again like I did. I learned that I was putting too much on my hair.

jeabai

I started sealing at nite with it and my hair is so soft in the morning when I take my scarf off! Too thick for daytime use but I love it for prepoos and sealing at nite!

ShiShiPooPoo

Honestly I say experiment. I do not like greasy hair so I think I put too much Castor Oil on my head. And I didn't even think of the idea of just using it to seal my ends, but all I know is a mixture of Castor Oil, Coconut Oil, and Shea Butter (which had Jojoba Oil and Tea Tree Oil in it) kept my hair from breaking off and shedding this morning when I flat ironed.

But you should just experiment with it.

I hate greasy hair too and that has kept me away from most oils.:ohwell:

Fhrizzball

How is BJCO different from the regular one? The castor I have is way to thick to distribute through my hair. I tried ti then with Coconut oil and EVOO and that didn't work either. Maybe I'll put it in my conditioner or a creamy leave in and see how it goes. I haven't been noticing my hair thickening up but then I'm not consistent with it for it to be effective I suppose.

PGirl

I am having a love affair with castor oil. I have never tried the Jamaica Black kind but I get the regular kind at Whole Foods. I use it on my hair in deep conditioners always, I seal with a few drops and it is an absolute must for me if I need to airdry. I have never known softness like this before. All I will say is if you have had a bad experience, which is easy to do if you are heavy handed, try try try again. This is a wonderful growth oil and it is at the top of my list of moisturizers for hair and skin. Got rough heels, knees or elbows? Castor oil after your shower and it will take care of it. Castor oil does not clog pores. I use a few drops of it with my facial moisturizer. This may sound crazy but I don't get oily skin at the end of the day anymore and I attribute that to Castor. Oily skin is just a response to dryness. The castor oil kills the dryness and so my face doesn't over-produce oil which causes the breakouts.

Again, experiment more than once people because you may miss out on a wonderful oil. :grin::grin::grin:

HTH!!!