I Was So Hoping .....and Then %$#@

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
The three who raped a 12 year old there in 1995 were black too.
I'm not a conspiracy theorist but considering that Okinawa has been trying to build a case as to why the U.S. needs to leave I thought they wouldn't be above creating controversy.
After reading about the 3 black dudes in 1995 and the aftermath of them mf's I can only shake my head and wonder what exactly the hell is wrong with these dudes.

I know anybody can edit wiki but I saw some of the same info elsewhere.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gill pleaded guilty to the rape, and the other two men pleaded guilty to conspiracy. The trial concluded in March 1996.

Prosecutors had asked for the maximum sentences for the men, 10 years each. The judge sentenced Gill and Harp to seven years imprisonment; Ledet received six and a half years. Their families also paid "reparation money" to the family of the victim, a common practice in Japan.

Ledet, who had claimed he did not rape the girl, died in 2006 in an apparent murder–suicide in the United States. He was found in the third-floor apartment of Lauren Cooper, a junior Kennesaw State University student and acquaintance whom he had apparently sexually assaulted and then murdered (by strangulation). It appears that he then took his own life by slashing his wrists.[9]

U.S. Navy Admiral Richard C. Macke was the commander of United States Pacific Command at the time of the attack. At a press conference in November 1995, Macke said of the men's actions: "I think it was absolutely stupid. I have said several times: for the price they paid to rent the car [used in the crime], they could have had a girl [prostitute]." These remarks were condemned as insensitive, and Macke was removed from his post and forced into early retirement

andromeda

I find it interesting that a lot of names considered 'black' here are actually French. Is there a reason that's the case?

Eg: Chantelle, Andre, Monique, Leroy (last name), Antoine, Jerome, Terrence, etc.
yes French and latinate (nayvidius, thelonious, Lavernia). basically names/styles of names that were popular with the mainstream/all Americans at one point . or that were forced on us (esp in the case of the latinate grand-sounding names. wypipo derived a sick pleasure for naming slaves in extremes e. g. Caesar Augustus vs. mop). we either held onto them with such fervor that others abandoned them (bc they became too associated with blackness) or we brought new visibility to less popular southern names as we migrated north and west. there's good (but old) research by newbile Puckett that digs deeper into aa naming trends (like other groups in America and elsewhere, our names have always been influenced by region and socio economic status).

andromeda

Wtf?! That's the strangest thing I've read in a while!
Mmhmm. I pulled out my copy of Puckett's black names in America. Peep this:
- Caesar was the 6th most popular male slave name. Also popular were Prince (titular) and Cato. (nickname forms of popular Christian names dominate: Jack, Tom, Sam, will. ) Pompey and Jupiter are two classical slave names in particular that don't appear in the names of free blacks in the south.
-For women, popular "shortened and patronizing" slave names gin, gen, Amy, peg are not seen among free blacks of the same period. Dianna, Dido, Phoebe, Venus were among popular classical female slave names. But less popular overall. (6% of male slaves in sample had classical names vs. 1.5% of female)

According to probate records from lowdnes county Mississippi, 84% of mule names also occurred as slave names, including common names (jack, Tom , peg, gin) and classical names (Cato, pompey).

"tool" [my term] names found among the enslaved: male - strap, tie, tower, oxfoot, scrub (this must've been what I was thinking of re: mop) female - floor, chat, paddle, lies, present. These were names "given" to human beings.

Of course, many property/slave records didn't entail names, so the sampling of names the book uses isn't perfectly representative as far as stats but does give a feel for the extremes

doriannc

Because of the U.S. military base in Okinawa. Marines and other people have raped local women and Okinawans were holding protests saying they want the U.S. out. This has been going on for a while.

Yeah, my sister lives right outside of Tokyo and said there is an alert out by the state department for expats living in Japan. They are having daily protest everywhere over this.

fasika

Mmhmm. I pulled out my copy of Puckett's black names in America. Peep this:
- Caesar was the 6th most popular male slave name. Also popular were Prince (titular) and Cato. (nickname forms of popular Christian names dominate: Jack, Tom, Sam, will. ) Pompey and Jupiter are two classical slave names in particular that don't appear in the names of free blacks in the south.
-For women, popular "shortened and patronizing" slave names gin, gen, Amy, peg are not seen among free blacks of the same period. Dianna, Dido, Phoebe, Venus were among popular classical female slave names. But less popular overall. (6% of male slaves in sample had classical names vs. 1.5% of female)

According to probate records from lowdnes county Mississippi, 84% of mule names also occurred as slave names, including common names (jack, Tom , peg, gin) and classical names (Cato, pompey).

"tool" [my term] names found among the enslaved: male - strap, tie, tower, oxfoot, scrub (this must've been what I was thinking of re: mop) female - floor, chat, paddle, lies, present. These were names "given" to human beings.

Of course, many property/slave records didn't entail names, so the sampling of names the book uses isn't perfectly representative as far as stats but does give a feel for the extremes
o_O Wow. I'm literally speechless.

Thanks for sharing the knowledge!

metro_qt

Jerome and Dwayne are tired for third place. I'm trying to think if I have encountered any white guys named Terrence.
I know a lot of white Jeromes in Montreal and Quebec...in fact, there's a community called "place Jerome" in Montreal....
Actually...I just googled... There's a Gare St Jerome, which is the St Jerome Train Station...

So Jerome was a white Saint, before he was a black man...:giggle:

metro_qt

Only Leroy I know is white :lol:
It's funny, because I know a lot of people in Ottawa and Montreal with the surname LeRoi, which means the king.....which is where Leroy came from....

A lot of these "newer black" name come from French, with some added flair...

André= DeAndre....
Monique and Michelle = Mo'Nique and Michel'e

Antoine =Auntwan etc...

Chantal =Shauntelle

thatscuteright

I know a lot of white Jeromes in Montreal and Quebec...in fact, there's a community called "place Jerome" in Montreal....
Actually...I just googled... There's a Gare St Jerome, which is the St Jerome Train Station...

So Jerome was a white Saint, before he was a black man...:giggle:

I went to a catholic school named St.Jeromes

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
High court upholds life term handed to former U.S. base worker in Okinawa over woman's 2016 murder

NAHA, OKINAWA PREF. – A high court Thursday upheld a lower court’s ruling that sentenced a former U.S. military base worker to life in prison for the 2016 rape and murder of a 20-year-old woman in Okinawa.

The Naha branch of the Fukuoka High Court dismissed the appeal of 34-year-old Kenneth Franklin Shinzato, who admitted to the charges of rape resulting in death and abandoning the victim’s body.

The defense counsel claimed he had no intent to kill and denied the murder charge.

According to the ruling, Shinzato attacked the woman on a road in Uruma, in central Okinawa, for the purpose of raping her on the night of April 28, 2016. He stabbed her in the neck with a knife and struck her on the head with a bar so she would not resist, resulting in her death.

The Naha District Court handed down the life sentence last December in line with prosecutors’ demands.

In July, the Japanese and U.S. governments paid condolence money to the family of the woman instead of Shinzato, who said he lacked the means to pay, after the family sought compensation from Washington in March under the Japan-U.S. Status of Forces Agreement.

The United States has said the payment was made on a “voluntary and humanitarian” basis because the man was not an employee of the U.S. armed forces as defined by the agreement, according to the Defense Ministry in Tokyo.

Shinzato was a civilian working for an internet company on the Kadena Air Base in Okinawa Prefecture at the time of the crime, after serving as a U.S. Marine, according to his lawyer and the U.S. Defense Department.

UmSumayyah

I'm not a conspiracy theorist but considering that Okinawa has been trying to build a case as to why the U.S. needs to leave I thought they wouldn't be above creating controversy.
After reading about the 3 black dudes in 1995 and the aftermath of them mf's I can only shake my head and wonder what exactly the hell is wrong with these dudes.

I know anybody can edit wiki but I saw some of the same info elsewhere.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gill pleaded guilty to the rape, and the other two men pleaded guilty to conspiracy. The trial concluded in March 1996.

Prosecutors had asked for the maximum sentences for the men, 10 years each. The judge sentenced Gill and Harp to seven years imprisonment; Ledet received six and a half years. Their families also paid "reparation money" to the family of the victim, a common practice in Japan.

Ledet, who had claimed he did not rape the girl, died in 2006 in an apparent murder–suicide in the United States. He was found in the third-floor apartment of Lauren Cooper, a junior Kennesaw State University student and acquaintance whom he had apparently sexually assaulted and then murdered (by strangulation). It appears that he then took his own life by slashing his wrists.[9]

U.S. Navy Admiral Richard C. Macke was the commander of United States Pacific Command at the time of the attack. At a press conference in November 1995, Macke said of the men's actions: "I think it was absolutely stupid. I have said several times: for the price they paid to rent the car [used in the crime], they could have had a girl [prostitute]." These remarks were condemned as insensitive, and Macke was removed from his post and forced into early retirement
I never knew at the time that they were black.

chocolat79

I know a white Jerome (who goes by Jerry) and a white Terrence (who goes by Terry). And I know OF a Mexican Leroy :lachen: