Ideas For Voluminous Protective Styles

GraceJones

I'm a 4 b/c. I had my last relaxer like 4 years ago. I'm APL stretched. I don't really like to wear my hair "out" without extensions because I don't like dealing with it. Right now I have box braids at shoulder length

I want to do a protective styles that have some sort of volume and bang because those fit my face better.

I was thinking about getting longer braids and then setting the braids in flexi rods to make it curly/wavy?

I used to wear a wig but it cost like $300 for the hair, and another $300 to get it made, plus styling every week. I'm like... nah. So no wig suggestions please.

Pygmy_puff

Have you tried crochet styles? I like the freetress water wave hair because it lasts long and looks natural. It’s easy enough to install yourself, so long as you are capable of doing even the most rudimentary of cornrows lol. The more hair you use, the more voluminous the style. Did I mention that crochet hair is super duper cheap? It’s an excellent and effective protective style IMO.

GraceJones

I was thinking like this

Pygmy_puff

I was thinking like this

Yes this look is definitely achievable with crochet! You can either use kinky crochet hair and curl it on perm rods + dip in hot water, or you can buy pre-curled crochet hair like Outre Cuevana Bounce, Sensationnel Jamaican bounce, Freetress Wand Curl, etc. I also like using jumbo pre-braided or twisted hair and separating for a twist out look. I did that once with Outre 3D braid hair and I loved it! I posted a picture of it somewhere on here, I’ll see if I can find it...