Ideas To Help A *black Owned* Beauty Supply Store??

greenbees

I didn't know where else to put this thread but I figured that this forum was the best place to get some ideas.

So today, I went to my local shopping plaza and noticed a new hair supply store. I went in and noticed that it was really cute but pretty small. I was the only customer in the store and the attendant came up to help me. She also thanked me for coming in and supporting the store. She said it's good seeing others supporting black owned businesses. The other hair stores in my area are owned either by Arabs or Koreans.

The daughter of the store came in and also thanked me. She told that business has been slow for them. I gave her the name of some natural hair products and suggested that maybe they could contact them and see if they will allow them to carry their products in stores. I also suggested social media and they told me that they just opened their Facebook today.

As I walked out, I realized that this was really saying with me. I want to see their business succeed. As many know, the black hair business is a billion dollar industry, with mainly black shut out of it.

I don't want to be a meddler in someone else's business but I would like to provide any input that I can to help. Does anyone have any suggestions that I could pass on?? The daughter seemed interested in receiving feedback.

CodeRed

Where are you and what's the name of the business? I know that Healthy Hair Dimensions has a website where you can view the brands they sell and it helps that people can see what you sell beforehand. Then there's Sage Naturalceuticals that has the brick and mortar store but also sells stuff through their website and they have (or had?) sales. I think an online presence would help a lot and go into salons of all kinds and see if she can leave a few flyers. I've seen a lot of women other than AA in the Asian beauty supply stores that usually sell primarily to Black customers. Don't ask me what they were doing in there or how they found out about it but it's always good to look and advertise to everyone to see who you reel in. And to always make everything look very clean, professional, easily accessible and user friendly. There are some places that I'd never shop because it's frustrating being cramped with a bunch of stuff to wade through or on a website that's confusing to order from.

Hope this helps a little bit.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Marketing - To the Local Beauty/Barber Shops letting them know they are "Open For Business"
Also Marketing to the Black Churches in the Area as well as Restaurants, Nightclubs, College Campuses etc.........
Marketing is Key to the success of any Small Business
Have a Customer Appreciation Day
Maybe run some small ads in the Neighborhood News and/or other Minority Publications or Local Black Radio Station (if applicable)

Make sure their Shelves are Stocked
Products are "Fresh"
They are Knowledgeable about the Products they Carry
They are Pleasant, Friendly, Helpful
Price-Points are Competitive

prettybyrd

I would think that they could have a grand re-opening once they begin stocking more of the products that you mentioned to them.

They could invite some local Youtube hosts to come out and perhaps meet and greet one day. Also invite local stylists to the salon to give demonstrations on products. If the place is small, then this could be spread out over a week or so. Do they have instagram? They could take pics of new products as they come in and provide information about them.

greenbees

Where are you and what's the name of the business?

I'm in South Florida. The name of the business is Glam Girl Beauty Supply Store.

The prices did seem very competitive but one thing I noticed is that many of the products didn't really stand out. Some items could be bought basically anywhere (Dax's hair grease, Aunt Jackie's). Since the store itself was small, I was thinking that quality and/or hard to find products would stand out more.

theRaven

I'm in South Florida. The name of the business is Glam Girl Beauty Supply Store.

The prices did seem very competitive but one thing I noticed is that many of the products didn't really stand out. Some items could be bought basically anywhere (Dax's hair grease, Aunt Jackie's). Since the store itself was small, I was thinking that quality and/or hard to find products would stand out more.

Gurrrlll where in South Florida are you? Because I have been boycotting non Black owned beauty supply stores since I started college and signed up for LHCF. I would love to come out and check out this beauty supply store. Can they compete with Target's hair are section. I say this because that is the only store I go to for hair care products.

krissyhair

Support with your dollas.

Like in an election, people can campaign to show their support, but in the end, the only thing that matters is the vote.

naturalmanenyc

Social media should have been the first thing on the list, not an after thought well after business was slow. Once they have products in stock that can compete with other similar stores/Target, then they need to advertise and get a write up in their local paper and invite in some local hair bloggers.

They need to make sure customer service is priority one, which is sounds like they are already handling. And they need to be open during posted hours, always, no exceptions.

There is a Black owned beauty supply store in Brooklyn that got a write up in the NY Times. Of course we went by to check it out, even though it was far as hell from us, and they were closed during posted business hours. They did later open and we bought something to support but haven't been back. They just didn't stock things I wanted or needed enough to drive that far out. However, that could be due to Koreans shutting them out or requiring minimums that don't make sense for a single store owner.

Found the article about Black Girls Divine Beauty Supply and Salon in Brooklyn.
https://longhaircareforum.com/threa...-opened-up-stores-in-your-communities.739791/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Black-Girls-Divine-Beauty-Supply-and-Salon/301956076580239

Last edited:

greenbees

Gurrrlll where in South Florida are you? Because I have been boycotting non Black owned beauty supply stores since I started college and signed up for LHCF. I would love to come out and check out this beauty supply store. Can they compete with Target's hair are section. I say this because that is the only store I go to for hair care products.

I'll PM you. :yep:

Thanks for all the good info, ladies. I'll be sure to pass it on to the daughter.

lux10023

i understand where you are coming from but i will say this, give them some time they just opened..its trial and error as with everything else

also on a not so nice note. not everyone who open a business is business savy..ppl usually want to open a business and dont know all the time and energy and knowledge it entails...so they will either sink or swim but supporting them is a good start and mentioning what products you would buy from them also works

if they have a contact us email address i would utilize that as well to send a friendly but substantial message that would be helpful

happy that we all want our own to win........:)