If a friend is staying over do they have to attend church with you?

janiebaby

If a friend is staying with you for the weekend, and you would normally let them stay in your house alone, do you make them attend church with you if they choose to stay at your home during your church meeting times?

LifeafterLHCF

It would be nice but I don't let folks stay in my place by themselves so either they go to church or I make arrangements to go to a later service after they are gone or something.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Do they know you attend church on a regular basis and if so, did you tell the guest you expect for them to attend church with you? I think that's fair to make the demand AFTER they're already in your home.

A good hostess would express wishes prior to the guest arriving so there is an understanding and agreement. Since you didn't, and they don't want to go to service (not sure if they practice your faith or not), you stay home until your guests leave.

Since we don't have the full story, I'm just generalizing. For me, I wouldn't make a guest go to church and I would have an alternative for them if I didn't trust to leave them in my house for several hours, i.e. arrange for a visit for them at another friend or relative's house if there is one.

auparavant

No, if someone wants to attend mass with me, the person is more than welcomed to but I'm not in the business of forcing religion upon anybody. Grown people should not do such. Most people would love to go with you if they are visiting you, though.

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
When I stay with friends or family, I get up and go to church with them if they go. It's rude not too unless you're an atheist.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
When I stay with friends or family, I get up and go to church with them if they go. It's rude not too unless you're an atheist.
That's what most people would do (I would too), but I think it's thoughtless to assume that a guest wants to go to church. Matters like this should be discussed, understood and agreed upon beforehand the guest arrived.

Scenario (in my mind)

OP: Hey, Guest, I know you're coming to stay on (weekend whatever), I'm attending service on Sunday and want you to come with me. Is that a date?

GUEST: Oh, thanks for the invite, but I would rather stay in and watch the Sunday talk shows on TV and drink some coffee until you get home. Do you mind?

OP: If that's what you want, but I prefer that you go to church with me; I don't want you to be alone.

GUEST: Oh, well, then, if you're busy and need to go to church, I'll visit with you another time.

faithVA

If there is an expectation that they go to church that should be clearly stated beforehand, so they can make other arrangements if they do not wish to go to church.

If I found out after I arrived, I would politely pack my things and go stay at a hotel if it were an issue. If I knew the person was a consistent church goer, I would ask before I arrived to make sure we had an understanding.

intellectualuva

It would be nice but I don't let folks stay in my place by themselves so either they go to church or I make arrangements to go to a later service after they are gone or something.

THis is me. But usually, I just don't go that particular Sunday depending on who is visiting. I certainly don't like to leave people alone in my house. I have made several strides giving a relative a backup key to my place and even then all inner doors are locked and all papers are put away in a safe.

Sorry, but Ive seen far too many videos of people snooping in stuff that isnt their business.

HeChangedMyName

I'm thankful that anyone who would even be staying with me would be excited to go to church. It took a while, but God answered my prayers of giving me friends who share my faith. Whooooohoooo

LiftedUp

If they want to go fine, if not, other options will be to go to another service and have someone stay with them or plan an activity for them or lock my bedroom/personal items and leave them home alone.

auparavant

That's what most people would do (I would too), but I think it's thoughtless to assume that a guest wants to go to church. Matters like this should be discussed, understood and agreed upon beforehand the guest arrived.

Scenario (in my mind)

OP: Hey, Guest, I know you're coming to stay on (weekend whatever), I'm attending service on Sunday and want you to come with me. Is that a date?

GUEST: Oh, thanks for the invite, but I would rather stay in and watch the Sunday talk shows on TV and drink some coffee until you get home. Do you mind?

OP: If that's what you want, but I prefer that you go to church with me; I don't want you to be alone.

GUEST: Oh, well, then, if you're busy and need to go to church, I'll visit with you another time.

I don't comprehend the logic here. Is this about forcing another to be in your religion? Why offer the invitation if you know beforehand that person is not religious or of another? "I want you to come with me..." well, many people want any of us to come to their religious beliefs but is that something that ought be forced?

If it's about fear they might steal or pry into your private life, don't extend the invitation. If you can't trust your guest, be done with them and don't invite. They could go to Starbucks or a bookstore and spend a few hours, take a walk, shop, etc. But I don't see the logic in either 1)forcing somebody to attend religious services and 2)being afraid of them staying in your house if you invited them.

Last edited:

Nice & Wavy

Yes. As for me and my house, we shall serve the Lord!

I thank God the people in my life love to go to church...even those that don't go to church often or at all. They love to come to my church when they do come to visit. They know beforehand what I stand for and they still want to come.:grin:

Praise God. That says something about my walk with God!

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!

Scenario (in my mind)

That's a funny scenario. I can't relate because as a Christian, I don't know any close friends that would be allowed to stay with me and not be into church as well. :nono:

LadyPBC

I think this is an excellent question. It's not about forcing religion down someone's throat. I can't even imagine allowing someone to stay at my home and we've never had a conversation about my faith and how important it is. First let me say that it is highly unusual for anyone besides my family to stay at my house and anyone who knows me (especially if you have the nerve to stay at my house) knows where I am on Sunday mornings.

There was a time when several friends came to stay with me for a few days. I drove them around doing everything they wanted to do and although they knew ahead of time that I was going to church and expected the same of them (they were all believers as well) one of my friends decided she was tired and didn't want to go. That irritated the heck out of me. I felt kinda used because as long as we did everything they wanted to do and I drove them here, there, and everywhere they had lots of energy but as soon as it was time to do something that I had a passion for there was a problem. That actually happened to me twice. I vowed that it would never happen again. And I am not going to stay at home just because my guests don't want to share the experience with me. I'm not sure how I'd do it (because I'd be embarassed to let them know I don't want them in my home while I'm away - is that rude - especially if its a BFF?:perplexed) but I'd find a way.

Last edited:

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
It's not a matter of forcing your religion on anyone... if anyone visits a Hindi family there is no question about their religion, so you'd know what to expect. As a visitor I would go to Christian service with my hosts, more out of courtesy, despite the denomination. I don't know any Hindi lol.. The few people who sleep over in my home know I go to church and I'm a Christian. I've never had any issues with that, though. Kind people visit me.. lol

Last edited: