If I just relax my new growth and not roots will I still get growth?

Blue_Berry

I am going to go get a relaxer tomorrow. It is going to be a kids relaxer. My hair is starting to frizz up like crazy and I can't handle it. I want to relax my new growth, but nothing on my scalp. Will I still get growth if I relax only my new growth and not my scalp? Oh, should I use a kids regular relaxer or coarse or should I get a mild adult?

Poranges

Positive Vibrations
You should not even be relaxing the scalp in the first place...that can cause severe chemical burns which could lead to further complications. Only relax the NG and not the scalp or previously relaxed hair. Base your scalp and put something on your relaxed hair to prevent overlapping. :) HTH

Keen

I don't understand what do you mean by will you still get growth. The reason relaxers are not suppose to touch your scalp is because your body heat will activate the relaxer and make the hair closer to your scalp process quicker than the rest of your new growth.

It's my personal belief that when you leave the relaxer on your scalp for too long it stunt your hair growth because of damage to the scalp. The scalp has to heal before it resume it's normal growing process.

hurricane

I think your new growth is your roots. I dunno. I don't think what your asking is possible. You have to comb the relaxer through.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
I guess I don't understand the difference between "roots" and "new growth". As long as you don't rub relaxer into your scalp, you should be straight! :yep:

shunemite

I don't understand what do you mean by will you still get growth. The reason relaxers are not suppose to touch your scalp is because your body heat will activate the relaxer and make the hair closer to your scalp process quicker than the rest of your new growth.

It's my personal belief that when you leave the relaxer on your scalp for too long it stunt your hair growth because of damage to the scalp. The scalp has to heal before it resume it's normal growing process.
She said it to a T. Check out the "Self relaxers" sticky thread. There's a wealth of info there :)

knt1229

Am I misunderstanding something because relaxing the NG is what a touch up is. I have never known anyone who relaxed the scalp. Putting relaxer on your scalp sounds potentially painful, harmful, and unhealthy for the hair. As far as getting growth I'm not sure I follow you. Obviously, you are getting growth because you have NG and if you are getting growth while putting relaxer on your scalp then I don't see why you wouldn't get growth by applying relaxer on the NG only which is the correct way to do a touch up.

Blue_Berry

Yeah, I am use to getting the relaxer in my scalp then smooth down through out my hair afterwards. I don't really do my relaxers. I usually let my mom do my relaxers. I just want to know if my hair would grow out better if I don't put the relaxer to close to my scalp. Thanks ladies, now I know the dangers.

Last edited:

Katt73

You should definitely check out the Self-Relaxers thread before you purchase a relaxer and apply it. Be safe! And good luck!

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
:burning: :burning: :burning: :burning:

She puts it on your scalp?! Like, on the actual skin of your scalp?!?! Are you sure? If she's not putting the relaxer on the skin of your head, then it's not the scalp.
If she really is relaxing your scalp, please don't do let her do that anymore...how is your hair still alive?! :shocked:

Blue_Berry

:burning: :burning: :burning: :burning:

She puts it on your scalp?! Like, on the actual skin of your scalp?!?! Are you sure? If she's not putting the relaxer on the skin of your head, then it's not the scalp.
If she really is relaxing your scalp, please don't do let her do that anymore...how is your hair still alive?! :shocked:

Yeah she put it own my scalp, but I do a lot of hot oil treatments to get my scalp back in shape.Cause afterward it is very dry and in it starts to flake up.But my hair is in good condition after 3 weeks to maybe a month then I start stretching again. I didn't know it was a bad thing though.

MarieB

Yep, the ladies are right. Do NOT put relaxer on your scalp!!! Base your scalp before you even start applying the relaxer. If you keep giving yourself chemical burns, you are not going to have any hair, never mind slow growth. Read that sticky before you proceed, and good luck. Ask as many questions as you need to, too. We're all here to help.

imaccami

The goal is to get the relaxer as close to the scalp as possible without touching it. You don't want any relaxer creme on your scalp. And kiddie relaxers aren't that great imo. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of threads that show that they're stronger than a normal no-lye relaxer. So, it you want something gentle your best bet is to get a no-lye in mild instead of regular.

angenoir

Yeah she put it own my scalp, but I do a lot of hot oil treatments to get my scalp back in shape.Cause afterward it is very dry and in it starts to flake up.But my hair is in good condition after 3 weeks to maybe a month then I start stretching again. I didn't know it was a bad thing though.

Blueberry

You scalp is probably flaking due to relaxer burns. As the ladies have said do not allow the relaxer to touch your scalp and base your scalp very well with something eg oil to protect your scalp.

BUT Please clarify the bolded statement. Do you mean stretching as per LHCF terms?

Stretching is actually spacing out your touch-ups a bit further than normal eg to 12+weeks. This allows your scalp and hair time to get back into good condition. And if relaxer applications are done too often it may lead to overprocessing of the hair.