***!!! ~ I'm a Survivor ~ !!! ***

Z-kitty

I just received a diagnosis of ccca from my derm yesterday. He said we caught it early and prescribed a foam for my scalp and I will start kenalog injections in 6 weeks. I have noticed the scalp changes for over 10 years so i'm not sure how learly the diagnosis is but the derm did say i didnt have much scarring. Plan to also start taking biotin, msm and visical.

Last edited:

weavesimi

Thanks @chassiecrane. I hope everything works out too!

@weavesimi

Thanks for posting. I'm all over the place with this. I try not to post about it anywhere because I feel like I'd be bringing the thread down...like a "Debbie Downer" or something. I do have some positive days but I never really get around to posting on those days. It doesn't even feel right to post in this thread since most of the posts are positive. But I figure if anyone has an inkling of how I'm feeling, it has to be the ladies in this thread. I've been trying to lurk in the Health Forum to find something else to distract me. It's been working so far. It'll probably all fall apart when I go to the dermatologist on Thursday. I'm getting my stitches removed from the biopsy and I should have my diagnosis by then. I'll update you with my diagnosis and my treatment plan, if there is one.

I would ask the dermatologist why he didn't do a biopsy and how is he certain that it isn't another type of alopecia. I'd try to ask in the most nonthreatening way possible. Does he have a treatment plan for you by the way?

He didn't detail his treatment plan for me to be honest. I am expecting at the moment and I think that is why but, the news was really discouraging for me so I know just how you feel..... He did tell me to come back after I've had my baby though...

yvette

I am by no means a survivor but I'm posting here because I don't want to be alone in my journey. I had a scalp biopsy done last week and I will most likely find out the results at the end of next week. My dermatologist thinks I have either scarring alopecia (CCCA) or androgenetic alopecia (female pattern baldness). Either way, I feel like I'm screwed. I've been reading for days and I'm seeing people grow back hair from traction alopecia, alopecia areata, and other scalp trauma but I'm just not seeing the success stories for CCCA or androgenetic alopecia. It's disheartening.

I'm going to hold on to the hair I do have and brace myself for my upcoming battle/journey. Thanks for this thread.

Daviine,

I have CCCA and have posted my about my journey in this thread. Keep in mind, the process to regrowing the hair will take some time. I have currently been in treatment for almost 3 years and the hair has grown back but I still have room for improvement. I have used the recommended shampoos, vitamins and scalp treatment ( Rogaine etc) and now have been receiving injections to my scalp to help further boost the growth ( and it has worked). So, don't feel alone or feel as if there are no success stories, cause there are, its just a very slow process.

Sade'

Daviine,

I have CCCA and have posted my about my journey in this thread. Keep in mind, the process to regrowing the hair will take some time. I have currently been in treatment for almost 3 years and the hair has grown back but I still have room for improvement. I have used the recommended shampoos, vitamins and scalp treatment ( Rogaine etc) and now have been receiving injections to my scalp to help further boost the growth ( and it has worked). So, don't feel alone or feel as if there are no success stories, cause there are, its just a very slow process.

yvette what kind of injections are you getting? And how often? What kind of vitamins are you taking?

yvette

Sade'
weavesimi

The injections are a steriod type injection. I forgot the name and I will find an old billing statement and I will get you the name. I have been doing the injections for about 6 months. I was getting them every 6 weeks but since I have had pretty good results, I am now getting them every 8 weeks. My derm said that I can get this as much as I wanted them and he has patients that get them every 3 weeks. I personally felt that was a bit much, especially since getting them are quite uncomfortable.

As far as vitamins, my derm recommended the Elon system. It is around $60.00 ( includes shipping) and includes shampoo, conditioner and vitamin.

http://www.elonhair.com/

ELON® Thinning Hair System Description
A system specifically designed to help thinning hair problems... externally and internally. A combination of oral supplements to reduce thinning, topical treatments to replace moisture and ultra-mild formulas to reduce further damage. Helps break up DHT on the scalp that causes hair loss.

1: Supplemental Nutrition
ELON® Matrix 5,000
This oral supplement provides the 3 essential building blocks:
5,000 mcg biotin, 100 mg silica and 50 mg l-cysteine to nourish the body, to aid in healthy and strong hair growth.

2: Cleanse
ELON® Moisture Therapy Shampoo
This ultra-mild formula has a low pH and eliminates sulfates to gently cleanse the hair, while repairing it to become incredibly soft, silky, and shiny. Infused with sunflower extract and jojoba oil to replenish and seal in moisture to protect against hair breakage.

3: Nourish
ELON® Moisture Therapy Conditioner
Our lightweight moisturizers hydrate and soften hair while reviving shine and color. Protects and conditions to restore balance for healthy, manageable hair. Jojoba and olive oil nourishes hair to become incredibly soft, silky, and shinier

I have been using the Elon system for about 2 years. I alternate this shampoo with Nizoral shampoo. When my derm recommended I use this, he wanted me to use it at least 3 days a week for maximum results and I did as I was told. Now, since it is cold and I catch a head cold pretty easily, I only use the shampoo and conditioner once a week.

weavesimi

Sade'
weavesimi

The injections are a steriod type injection. I forgot the name and I will find an old billing statement and I will get you the name. I have been doing the injections for about 6 months. I was getting them every 6 weeks but since I have had pretty good results, I am now getting them every 8 weeks. My derm said that I can get this as much as I wanted them and he has patients that get them every 3 weeks. I personally felt that was a bit much, especially since getting them are quite uncomfortable.

As far as vitamins, my derm recommended the Elon system. It is around $60.00 ( includes shipping) and includes shampoo, conditioner and vitamin.

http://www.elonhair.com/

ELON® Thinning Hair System Description
A system specifically designed to help thinning hair problems... externally and internally. A combination of oral supplements to reduce thinning, topical treatments to replace moisture and ultra-mild formulas to reduce further damage. Helps break up DHT on the scalp that causes hair loss.

1: Supplemental Nutrition
ELON® Matrix 5,000
This oral supplement provides the 3 essential building blocks:
5,000 mcg biotin, 100 mg silica and 50 mg l-cysteine to nourish the body, to aid in healthy and strong hair growth.

2: Cleanse
ELON® Moisture Therapy Shampoo
This ultra-mild formula has a low pH and eliminates sulfates to gently cleanse the hair, while repairing it to become incredibly soft, silky, and shiny. Infused with sunflower extract and jojoba oil to replenish and seal in moisture to protect against hair breakage.

3: Nourish
ELON® Moisture Therapy Conditioner
Our lightweight moisturizers hydrate and soften hair while reviving shine and color. Protects and conditions to restore balance for healthy, manageable hair. Jojoba and olive oil nourishes hair to become incredibly soft, silky, and shinier

I have been using the Elon system for about 2 years. I alternate this shampoo with Nizoral shampoo. When my derm recommended I use this, he wanted me to use it at least 3 days a week for maximum results and I did as I was told. Now, since it is cold and I catch a head cold pretty easily, I only use the shampoo and conditioner once a week.

Thanks for this Yvette I am going to try the Elon now and then maybe the steroid shots after I give birth. You have given me hope!

Sade'

Hey guys, my Elon Hair Vitamins arrived yesterday and I began taking them yesterday. I will update on my progress. Thanks again yvette

Sade'

Are you going to use the shampoo and conditioner too or just the vitamins? I'm going to order it soon too :yep:

I only ordered the pills right now bc I have a full sew in w/ a net. I can't really get to my scalp. I'll def order the full set when I take hair out.

weavesimi

I posted this in my own thread but decided to bring it here. I know I will survive but starting this journey has been really horrific and I'm about ready to cut it all off...

Have any of you ladies ever had long-term scalp damage and were able to get a healthy scalp? Here's some background on my issue:

I've been an extremely slow grower since childhood but I think that is the result of getting my first perm at age 1 . My aunt (who at the time was 16) was an "aspiring cosmetologist" and decided that she couldn't resist perming an available head of hair. My parents said that before she permed my hair, it was full and thick (even at that young age my twa is thicker and longer than my hair has been at most periods in my life!). My mum tried many methods to get my hair to grow but nothing worked well and my hair was always short, fragile and fine. Eventually she just started perming it to make it easier on herself (at around age 8 probably) and that made breakage and scalp burns a problem.

Once I started taking care of my own hair, I put in a series of braids that further damaged my already temperamental scalp, meaning that my edges were (and still sort of are) gone. Finally, I decided back in 2008 that since perms didn't seem to be working out for my hair, why not go natural? And I was for about 8 months before I decided to follow my mother's advice and do a short "Halle Berry" style. This was the worst possible decision I'd ever made for my hair. This short style meant that I permed my hair every month and got it styled every two weeks on the dot to maintain it. I also made the foolish mistake of getting color rinses on the same day as the perms. I never let a permanent color touch my head because I knew that my scalp just couldn't take it and my stylist assured me that a rinse and perm on the same day would be ok (all pre-LHCF) Talk about breakage! I would have probably noticed it more if my stylist wasn't trimming every month to maintain a style. What I did notice was that my scalp was JACKED UP! My edges, which were starting to grow back after the time I was natural, are just about gone and my scalp is still recovering . I had my last perm in Dec. '11 and I'm pretty sure that after joining LHCF, I'm never going back.

I'm trying to be patient because I know that everything takes time but I just don't know what to do now to get my scalp healthy. I'm not even sure I can say "back to normal" because given my scalp's history, I don't think it's ever really been healthy. I'm putting a lot of work into finding some kind of solution because I'm getting married next year and would like to at least be able to wear my own hair in some kind of style instead of the wig I've been using for the past few months. I'm trying twists now under the wig and daily spritzing with a mixture of nettle tea, 6'n1 moisturizer (anyone else used this?), aloe vera gel, and castor oil mixed with some essential oils and sealing with shea butter. I've also been washing with an all natural aloe and vitamin e soap bar to avoid sulfates. I also tried cowashing but I got the worst buildup ever. So far I can't really tell if it's truly helping with the condition of my scalp because it still itches frequently and the hair on my edges sometimes drops out with a white bulb still attached.
Can anyone offer advice? And sorry the post is so long lol . Thanks ladies!
If you need me to post my "regiment" or anything else let me know!

Hi Sheanu how is your haircare journey coming along? Are you seeing a lot of progress?

daviine

How is everyone doing and feeling? I'm hanging in there. I have these days where I'm like, "Wow, my hair is so pretty. I can't wait to be fully natural." And then other days where I just feel like I'm on follicle death row :lol:. (That was someone's username on a hair loss forum).

I was wondering if there was anyone else in this thread or lurking in this thread that was diagnosed with androgenic alopecia?

If you're lurking feel free to PM me if you don't want to post on here.

I still haven't started the minoxidil/finasteride compound I was prescribed even though its sitting in my medicine cabinet. I just can't make a decision about what I should do.

I believe my options are
-take the Rogaine,
-hair transplant, or
-do nothing (and rock wigs).

I had almost convinced myself to start the medication and I read a few posts where people were claiming Rogaine gave them wrinkles. :nono: It's not a listed side effect, but I don't expect any drug company to admit to something like that. So I feel like I can't really make an informed decision regarding the Rogaine.

For now, I'm doing nothing but I would love to hear from others who have androgenic alopecia and what they are doing. Also, if anyone is using Rogaine, I'd love to hear how you incorporate it into your regimen.

Take care.

Shadiyah

I really would like to hear more on how is everyone doing? Also what do you think about someone that has smooth bald head? have any of you deal with this and regrew their hair?

Nonie

[USER=64295]Shadiyah[/USER];18154823 said:
I really would like to hear more on how is everyone doing? Also what do you think about someone that has smooth bald head? have any of you deal with this and regrew their hair?

My bald patches were smooth and my hair grew back with the essential oil blend for hair growth and a diet change.

discodumpling

Like Nonie I grew my smooth bald spots back using what I call the Hayes essential oil blend. Named after dr Elizabeth Hayes.
There is no one way to grow your hair back pick a method and stick with it..consistency is key.

I have a Bff diagnosed with alopecia. Her hair started shedding when we were in jr high....she's a phenominal woman and has made it her mission to educate others.yall might have heard of her she's the bald beauty queen aka the former mrs sc.

Shadiyah

My bald patches were smooth and my hair grew back with the essential oil blend for hair growth and a diet change.

Thanks Nonie I am helping someone and it is most of her head and I have started the massages but I have not added the essential oils yet to the bottle. I am really hoping the oils and supplements will help her.

Kb3auty

Your stories are so inspirational. Thank you everyone for sharing. If it wasn't for the courage you all had to share your stories I would probably be completely bald. I was balding about 1.5 yrs ago and started applying mixed oils. to my hair as you all recommended and within weeks my bald spots started filling in. I am now APL and have hope for more growth. And now I am able to help someone else that is having similar problems with her hair.

LovelyDelight

Thank you ladies for sharing your stories on this thread. It's nice to know women that are getting through this have a support system. I'm wondering if I should try some of these remedies myself. I don't have alopecia, but have been experiencing thinning from nutritional problems...

lizzyb168

Hi ladies.

I was just looking back through the thread and reading everybody's story and then i came across my own.

Looking at the hair pictures i posted then and how my hair is now i had to take some quick snaps and update everyone.

Now to recap I was told by my doctor i had traction alopecia which i was told was irreversible. Well my patch has got smaller. it hasn't disappeared totally but it very manageable and im very happy with my progress.

These are the things that I believe have helped me:

-going natural
-using all natural products e.g shea moisture, coconut oil, aloe vera gel
-eating a vegetarian/vegan based diet
-juicing
-cutting out shampoo
-massaging my scalp every couple of days
-castor oil applied every other day

From 2011 i can't say that i have been doing these things consistently week in week out because if I did i know that patch would have been long gone by now but these past couple of months i have been committing and im already seeing a difference.

Please understand that there is a natural cure for everything. Steroid creams IMO are not worth it. Your progress will not happen overnight and it can take years and years for you to see some significant changes but when you do see them you will know thats its been worth it.

I hope my update inspires some if not all of you to continue your journey. Happy hair growing :grin::grin::grin:

Attachments

• hair 1.jpg
    hair 1.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 152
  • oldphoto3.jpg
    oldphoto3.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 139
  • newphoto2.jpg
    newphoto2.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 135
  • newhair1.jpg
    newhair1.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 128
  • oldphoto1.jpg
    oldphoto1.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 141

sugarbaybie

PRAYER! PRAYER AND

VITAMIN D
! GET YOUR VITAMIN D CHECKED LADIES OR JUST START TAKING THE 1000MG A DAY THAT MOST FORMULAS HAVE AND SEE IF YOUR HAIR FALL DOESNT CEASE AFTER A WEEK. BUT STILL GET YOUR LEVELS CHECKED! I SUFFERED FOR YEARS UNTIL PRAYER AND VITAMIN D DELIVERED ME!

smores

Hi Ladies!!

Has anyone had luck with aloe vera and emu oil? I've tried lots for my traction alopecia which has resulted in long healthy hair overall. One of my alopecia spots filled in but now I need to concentrate on the other two spots.

smores

Hi Ladies!! Has anyone had luck with aloe vera and emu oil? I've tried lots for my traction alopecia which has resulted in long healthy hair overall. One of my alopecia spots filled in but now I need to concentrate on the other two spots.

Bump bump bump bump

Evolving78

I had a bad chemical reaction from some box color. I had a bald patch and serious crown breakage. I also had a rash there as well. I started using jbco and trimmed off the damaged ends. I have seen a lot of progress. I'm going to try to stretch my relaxers and not relax bone straight either. I wish I took some pics. I do have pics of the breakage, but not of the bald spot. I had that happened to me before in 2011. I have learned my lesson now! I found a pic of when it first started growing back image-206983741.jpg
I have another progress pic, but it's taking too long to load.

Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
My crown makes me sad. I don't know if it's due to age, genetics, postpartum shedding (4 kids), stress or rough handling. I first noticed it last October. Since then I have been doing scalp massages a few times a week and I am super gentle when I comb my hair. My grandpa had that horseshoe balding pattern. My mom's crown is also quite thin. My brother's crown started falling out at age 18. Now he barely has any hair in the middle. I refuse to accept this fate. I will do everything in my power to stop the hair loss and get some regrowth.

ajoke

I have been natural for 6 years now and that has not helped my edges at all. I just had my Vit D levels checked and apparently, I have a severe Vit D3 deficiency and a zinc deficiency. Just started taking supplements today and I will let you know if any thing changes.