I'm Back and a Little Disappointed...

Amarech

Not in LHCF, of course! Just my hair goal progress.

First let me say, it is sooo good to be back!!! I haven't really posted since May or June of this year and I haven't visited since Aug. I just renewed my membership so I am able to participate again. There was so much going on in my life that LHCF was the last thing on my mind for a while.

But now things have settled down a bit and I neeeed my LHCF sistas!!!

I'm going through a mini hair crisis and I don't know what to do.

I switched to Vitale Lye Relaxer. It was a good decision. My hair is definately a lot less dry then when I was on No Lye. The difference is amazing. However I ran across a problem that I didn't for see. My hair seems to be weaker. I always thought that there was no difference between lye and no lye but using the no lye is the only way to explain this weakness. I didn't realize it until my hair started breaking off really bad. But it didn't all break off evenly. The weaker hair in the middle broke off but the hair on my nape and crown are doing just fine.

I've been treating it with Paul Mitchel's line of strengthening but i'm still seeing breakage. I'm thinking of switching to K-Pak but I'm not sure. I'm soo loyal to Paul but I may have to give him up.

Help!!!!

Hi Amarech. I just wanted to say welcome back. I wish I had some advice but I really don't for relaxed hair. I'm sure someone around here will help you out though.

Not in LHCF, of course! Just my hair goal progress.

First let me say, it is sooo good to be back!!! I haven't really posted since May or June of this year and I haven't visited since Aug. I just renewed my membership so I am able to participate again. There was so much going on in my life that LHCF was the last thing on my mind for a while.

But now things have settled down a bit and I neeeed my LHCF sistas!!!

I'm going through a mini hair crisis and I don't know what to do.

I switched to Vitale Lye Relaxer. It was a good decision. My hair is definately a lot less dry then when I was on No Lye. The difference is amazing. However I ran across a problem that I didn't for see. My hair seems to be weaker. I always thought that there was no difference between lye and no lye but using the no lye is the only way to explain this weakness. I didn't realize it until my hair started breaking off really bad. But it didn't all break off evenly. The weaker hair in the middle broke off but the hair on my nape and crown are doing just fine.

I've been treating it with Paul Mitchel's line of strengthening but i'm still seeing breakage. I'm thinking of switching to K-Pak but I'm not sure. I'm soo loyal to Paul but I may have to give him up.

Help!!!!

Hi. :wave:
In order for us to really get down to the root of your problem(s), please post your regimen. That will give the hair gurus more info to base their diagnosis. :lol:
Welcome back!

Hi.
In order for us to really get down to the root of your problem(s), please post your regimen. That will give the hair gurus more info to base their diagnosis.
Welcome back!

Thanks!

Here it is:

I wash daily with Garnier Fructis Long and Strong Shampoo
Condition with Herbal Essence Strengthening Conditioner
Leave in consists of a combination of Almond Oil , Paul Mitchell "The Conditioner" and a drop (literally) of the Herbal Essence (as a detangler)

I use Paul Mitchell Strength Treatment (the one for weekly use) every week

In between when I straighten my hair, I blow dry and flat iron. I use the same products listed above but I finish off with BioSilk silk Therapy (its like a smoothing serum).

I'm currently 1 week past due for my relaxer touch up. I'm trying to hold off until I figure out this breakage problem and also because I moved and they don't sell the foundation pre conditioner that I need!! They sell everything else in the Vitale line but that!
I don't plan on waiting too long though. I figured out that 2.5 months is pushing it and I'm almost there.
HTH

Last edited:
Welcome back!

Was one of your past relaxer t-ups under processed at one time? If so maybe where the 2 textures meet is where the breakage is, unless there was some overlapping causing breakage. I would do a protein treatment follow by a moisturizing DC, or try Vitale Pro Triple Blend Reconstructor.

You are using too much protien. From my observations anything with "strength" or "strong" in it's title has some type of protien in it even if it's a little bit. Bump up the moisture in your regimen.

Thanks!

I wash daily with Garnier Fructis Long and Strong Shampoo

I use Paul Mitchell Strength Treatment (the one for weekly use) every week

In between when I straighten my hair, I blow dry and flat iron. I use the same products listed above but I finish off with BioSilk silk Therapy (its like a smoothing serum).

Also, you use shampoo on a daily basis. The harsh detergents in the shampoo may be stripping your hair's natural oils, causing dryness, and eventual breakage. If you must wash daily, try doing more conditioner washes instead. Your hair will still be clean, but not as stripped.

I do not know what ingredients are in the Paul Mitchell Strength treatment, but if you are using it weekly, something in it is too strong...maybe too much protein. Use this less and replace it with a more moisturizing treatment.

Also, I am not quite sure how often you are using heat, but you may want to try airdrying or rollersets, to see if that makes a difference, because the constant direct heat can also be causing breakage as well.

HTH. Hopefully more ladies chime in with other opinions.

See, I knew y'all would come through for me!!!!:yep:

Was one of your past relaxer t-ups under processed at one time? If so maybe where the 2 textures meet is where the breakage is, unless there was some overlapping causing breakage.

Yes. About 2 touchup's before I switched to lye, I underprocessed. I was thinking the exact same thing, about the two textures.

You are using too much protien. From my observations anything with "strength" or "strong" in it's title has some type of protien in it even if it's a little bit. Bump up the moisture in your regimen.

OK. I thought I might be overdoing it but I wasn't sure. Moisture was in the back of my mind but it made sense. Thanks!

Also, you use shampoo on a daily basis. The harsh detergents in the shampoo may be stripping your hair's natural oils, causing dryness, and eventual breakage. If you must wash daily, try doing more conditioner washes instead. Your hair will still be clean, but not as stripped.... also, I am not quite sure how often you are using heat, but you may want to try airdrying or rollersets, to see if that makes a difference, because the constant direct heat can also be causing breakage as well.

And I should know better. I used to be the Qween of CoWashes. But that was back when my hair was dry from the no lye. I've been spoiled by how much that dryness has dissappeared. I'll go back to conditioner washes. As for heat, I've got that down good. This summer I purchased a new blow dryer that cut my drying time in half. I flat iron when I first straighten and then that's it. If I need a " touch up " I do it with the setting on low.

It is not good for me or my hair to be away from LHCF for too long!!! Shame on me!:blush: Thank you all soo much for the advice. I'm going to start following all of it immediately. I'lll be giving updates as soon as I see improvement.

Last edited:
Back