I'm balding and thinning..

trinidarkie1

I\'m balding and thinning..

My hair is growing, but growing thinner and thinner, it's not breaking as much, but it's thin as all hell..
Esp in the center.. I mean, I tried to set my hair today and there was no hair for the roller!

Anyway, so I began conditioning washes about a month ago, and those have been really good, but not everyday I can do that because of my schedule..
So I would conditioning wash and then wrap.. It seems like the center that I use to wrap from is where the hair is falling out from..
What do I do?
My hair is not long enough to put into a pony to wear a piece.
So I am considering two things..
Braiding.. u know those braids that you can style the ends.. not the heavy full ones
OR
Weaving the entire thing..
Any advice?

DahomeyAhosi

Re: I\'m balding and thinning..

Since you dont' seem to indicate that you want to wear your natural hair (which I think is best) I would consider a wig. That's only because braids and weaves can pull on the scalp and lead to even worse thinning. Also start taking some b5 and surging! Good luck.

blkbeauty

Hey Trini,

I am so sorry to hear about your hair. Believe me I know the feeling, that is one reason why I decided to go natural, my hair had thinned out to the point of being bald.

But when I transitioned I wore cornrolls, bcause it was not too stressful on the perm that I had left. So I recommend cornrolls or weave that aren't done too tight. Make sure that you continue to deep condition and moisturize while your hair is in the braids. And give yourself a good trim or it will continue to thin out. But nevertheless I think braids and weave that aren't too stressful on the hair such as micro-braids are good styles when you are working to make your hair healthier

ShortyDooWhop

also try to incorporate flax seed into your diet. Not flax seed oil, I mean the regulare seeds. They are 1.99 at whole foods, and one of the benefits associated with the consumption of flax seed is that it helps to improve the overall health of your hair

Ipanema

I agree with the wig idea. Braids and weave might be too much stress on your hair & scalp, and probably make the problem worse.

inthepink

I would advise against braids b/c they could put too much pressure on your hair. I do think the wig idea might be a good one until you gain some length. Good luck.

trinidarkie1

Ok ladies, thanks so much.
It's not that I dont want to go natural, but my hair doesnt seem to be growing at all.
I am doing the conditioning washes and hoping my hair will grow out naturally, healthy.

Bklynqueen

Hello! The same thing happened to a friend of mine. In her case, she over- wrapped her hair. She would always wrap her hair wet and this caused her once thick hair to get real thin and balding in the middle, back and front of her hair. Do you roller set your hair and then wrap it or do you just "wet" wrap it? The only suggestion I could thing of is to start wearing a protective style ( like a bun)and put some beeswax on your hairline to make it grow in. I would also try wild growth oil for the part thinning in the middle. Also, hair mousse makes your hair thicker.
For added growth and thickness, use Biotin shampoo and conditioner. Your hair should start inmproving within 2 weeks. And don't forget to sleep w/ a satin scarf!! No cotton pillowcases!

Carlie

Are you using a lot of heat? If so, I think cutting back on that would help. I hope you find something that works for you.

trinidarkie1

Okay Ladies..
I dont use any heat..
I wet wrap though
But of late I allow my hair to air dry after I have co washed, and applied an ample amount of leave in and moisturizer/Grease..
What I did yesterday was wash with CPR Motions and conditioner, applied leave in (parvenu), then a spray leave in, Roller set my hair, hood dryer with Medium heat for about 25 mins and then I allowed it to air dry completely and then wrapped my hair
I dont use any cotton to wrap my hair, I use a silk scarf always for the last year or so.

Shawnee66

My hair was also balding and thinning, but since I found this board about 8 months about my hair is doing a 360 degree turn. I can honestly tell you it's from wrapping your hair either wet or dry. Both my SIL have the same problem but they refuse to believe it the wrapping of the hair. I want to thank the wonderful ladies at this site for all the advice I have gotten from them. I would suggest you air dry it without any kind of roller or wrapping for a few months. Use Surge mixed with some kind of oil twice a day on the balding spots. I found that this worked for me.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made

braids and weaves could add to the balding and thinning if you're not careful...

i agree with the wig idea...i personally wouldn't wear one but if you're fine with it, go ahead...

OR you could wear scarfs or bands around your edges or something and leave the back of your hair out in some sort of way...

Also try not to manipulate your hair as much as possible...no heat, avoid excessive combing, etc.

HTH!

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie

[ QUOTE ]
JetBlack said:
Try Nioxin. You can get it at Trade Secret.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I've been using this for a few weeks now. My hair is starting to thin a bit in front and sides....maybe because I have it in a bun or pony all of the time. It is definitely slowing down my shedding when I alternate it with my conditioner washes.