I'm changing my regimen...

Fine 4s

I'm going to follow longhairdontcare's reggie.

My hair tangles too much this causes my breakage. At the begining of my journey, I twisted my hair almost every week. I don't have the patience to do that anymore but I'd pay to have it done. I only enjoy washing and deep conditioning these days. Unless I'm bunning, doing chunky twists or some other style like a frohawk, I'm simply not going to do it. I'm also going to wash once per month. In addition to my quaterly trims (I just realized I missed my January trim schedule! I thought it was for August) here is how I might proceed either:

#1. Go to DR salons:
Have them rinse out the conditioner in my hair
Do 1 cornrolls on each side of head (2 totals)
or have them blow dry on cool setting so I can style it myself.
Maybe rollersets or maybe I can show them how to use curlformers?

OR

#2. Go to hair braider that I trust (colleagues from hair school)
Blowdry hair on cool setting in preparation for...
Flat twist or regular twits
box braids
cornrolls
or other styles.
I might let her twist my hair without blowdrying before hand.

What brought this on?
I washed and steamed my hair this weekend. I tried to flat twist my hair under running water (two twists on each side). FAIL!
I kept those ugly things in my hair for a couple of days.

Last night I applied Shea Moisture 'Extra Moisture Transitioning Milk' to my ends with some coconut oil and detangled with a wide tooth comb. My ends coiled up a lot because of the water in the product > more knots.
My roots naturally tighten up a lot but I try not to apply prods on my scalp. I tried to flat twist again since the running water technique didn't help. With my YT video in front of me, I tried to make my fingers grab whatever hair section they were suppose to but that was a FAIL.
So...I went back to twisting my dry hair. After about an hour I was done. I didn't even get through 1 quarter panel.

What do you think?

Pic Descriptions:
Twisted dry hair
Texture of dry hair
broken hair pieces...there were lots more this is just a sample
Friend's picture in bandana. That's the style I attempted to do.

Attachments

• Fuzz ball.JPG
    Fuzz ball.JPG
    172.7 KB · Views: 198
  • Krinkly fine strands.JPG
    Krinkly fine strands.JPG
    190.3 KB · Views: 192
  • Twisted dry hair.JPG
    Twisted dry hair.JPG
    171.8 KB · Views: 209
  • Pieces of broken hair.JPG
    Pieces of broken hair.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
You have very very very veeeery nice texture! If i had your texture, i would go natural. What is your hair type? I would like to google more ladies w/ your texture.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Your hair is similar to mine. I'm not sure I'm understanding the problem. Are you saying you are style challenged? You basically don't know how to do anything but twists (which take forever). Can you do medium to large sized twists instead? That is what I started doing. Funny though because now I'm actually in the same two flat twists on either side going into a bun in the back.

Personally, I'd go with the 2nd option. I don't mess with Dominican salons.

Fine 4s

Sorry ladies but that's my friend with the bandana.
I was trying to style my hair like hers as a go to style but I can't do it!
If I could I'd be all set. She does have beautiful hair.
My hair type is tighter than hers. Her hair is loser in texture and doesn't tangle up as much as mine so less breakage. She's at waist lenghth...ya wanna see pics of her WL hair?

Fine 4s

Your hair is similar to mine. I'm not sure I'm understanding the problem. Are you saying you are style challenged? You basically don't know how to do anything but twists (which take forever). Can you do medium to large sized twists instead? That is what I started doing. Funny though because now I'm actually in the same two flat twists on either side going into a bun in the back.

Personally, I'd go with the 2nd option. I don't mess with Dominican salons.

Froreal3
Am I style challenged? - yes. I can't do anything like cornrows on my own head. I do not want to do twists anymore. I did that for the first 4 years with great results but I'm over it now, too much time. I can do medium size twists.

You are lucky!!!! How do you do this on your natural hair? The only way I may be able to do this is with tons of products with slip on it. Either way I can't figure out how to flat twist my own hair!

If I go to the DR salon, I'm asking them to blow dry on cool setting with my Denman. They can use their brush as well but it's not going to be the rollerbrush method because I'm not leaving my hair out. That will be explained to them clearly. I used to go there before my journey so I'm comfortable enough to tell them exactly what I want. This is the same method used when I get my trims at Supercuts. A latina woman blow drys on cool setting using a rounbrush in small sections.

virtuenow

2 french braids on the sides of your hair sounds nice. I wouldn't trust them to do much more than that. Hopefully you can find the right products/technique-- seems it would be hard for hair to thrive w/only 1 wash per month. FoxxyLocs recently changed to a blowdry regimen as well. Her hair looks like yours.

Fine 4s

OK- it's not about her darn it but I'll indulge. And after that it's back to me please. Thank you.

Here ya go....and I have more...

1st pic 2005 or 2006 twist out

2008 press n curl

2012 Summer

2011 or 2012

last is June 2012

Attachments

• 2005 or 2006 twist out.jpg
    2005 or 2006 twist out.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 121
  • Press n curl 2008 length check.jpg
    Press n curl 2008 length check.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 113
  • 2012 Twist out pre heat damage.jpg
    2012 Twist out pre heat damage.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 113
  • Puffy twist out pre heat.jpg
    Puffy twist out pre heat.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 118
  • Summer June 2012.png
    Summer June 2012.png
    137.7 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

Fine 4s

and a few more to come...

somewhere around 2012 maybe

The rest is 2013 when she suffered heat damage.

My last pic is going to be of her twists with the heat issue. Her twists are not as plump and she lost some volume in her twist outs. She doesn't plan on applying until until 2014 or beyond while she recovers from the heat damage....

now...back to me LOL

Attachments

• 2008 twist out.jpg
    2008 twist out.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 83
  • Prep blow dry for Feb flat iron.jpg
    Prep blow dry for Feb flat iron.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 86
  • February 2013 flat iron heat alteration.png
    February 2013 flat iron heat alteration.png
    160.7 KB · Views: 87
  • Twist out pony tail post heat.jpg
    Twist out pony tail post heat.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 89
  • In car- heat damage twist out.jpg
    In car- heat damage twist out.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

Fine 4s

The bandana was in the first set of pics. The one with the two cornrolls I wanted to do. We get that sometimes...

here are her twits:

Attachments

• 2013 Twists post heat.jpg
    2013 Twists post heat.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 76

Fine 4s

2 french braids on the sides of your hair sounds nice. I wouldn't trust them to do much more than that. Hopefully you can find the right products/technique-- seems it would be hard for hair to thrive w/only 1 wash per month. @FoxxyLocs recently changed to a blowdry regimen as well. Her hair looks like yours.

I'll check out her hair now...
Trust me virtuenow, after going through issues with hairstylists, I know how to give them the MINIMUM about of work that will cause the least amount of damage...at least that's what I tell myself LOL
Thanks for the reference. FOXXXYYYYYYYYY!!!!! where you at?

mshoneyfly

@fine4s
Our hair seems similar but you have a lot more of it. From what I am reading; you are having trouble with tangles and breakage from the manipulation??

I did my hair like that recently; but I didnt wear it out though. Excuse the teddy bear robe :/

image-442245747.jpg

To me it sounds like your cuticles might be raised. There are lots of things to fix that. I have been having recent success with plain aloe vera gel as a moisturizer on dry hair. Im texturized and high porosity but my hair is smooth as silk. I sealed with HBCO but it was sealed nicely with just the AVG.

Hope this helps :)

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Fine 4s My hair is lowish density, but I part in the middle, then just take two small sections of damp stretched hair from the front. I twist those sections and grab a little more hair adding it to one section. Then I grab hair to the other section and continue. I make sure the opposite side is going in the same direction. I only flat twist to a little below my crown and I leave the rest in a puff. Then I braid the puff and pin that braid up. It's easier than it sounds. It's been my go to style for the past couple weeks.

I am usually in flat twists in front with regular medium/large twists in the back. I used to do small twists as well, but like you got tired of the process. I love my medium/large twists. Part of the reason I want longer hair is so that I can make as large twists as possible and still be able to throw them into a quick bun/updo. Pure style laziness.

Last edited:

sweetvi

@fine_4's

nice pics! One thing I love about black women. Our beauty runs from dark, light, tall short, high density, low density, etc

FoxxyLocs

LOL, here I am Fine 4s. Your hair does look like mine. I had issues with tangles also. Coating my dry hair with conditioner (one with slip) really worked wonders when it came to detangling, but it didn't help single strand knots. Now I'm blow drying and flat ironing on low heat every two weeks and my ends are in good shape. My reggie is similar to LHDC, but I can't stretch my washes for a month. I just answered a bunch of questions about it in the twist/bun challenge thread.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=18784965&postcount=156

Fine 4s

Thank you FoxxyLocs for your input!

Here's what I've done so far:
I secured someone who can twist my hair (no blowdrying needed) for $30 and when I do, most likely I'll leave it in for a month.

I've also secured someone who can flat twist or cornrow my hair (she said it wouldn't be much but didn't give me a price *gulp*) when needed and that I'll do with a blowdry.

I'll blow dry but not flat iron unless I want the straight hair look which I'm not going for until sometime in 2014.

Where can I see pics of your hair or learn more about your regimen?

Ogoma

Fine 4s: I cannot do neat flat twists or twists for that matter, but I can do both French braids and Dutch braids/cornrows and rock those styles. I do side parts, middle parts, from the middle across to the other side or start part way down. I also use accessories to change up my style.

I think French and Dutch braids are more intuitive and if you take time out to practice them, you will get it right. I know how frustrating it can be and after 4 years, I understand you want something different.

I am really liking this style these days. Instead of rolling it, I french braid from behind my ear down or across.

Fine 4s

Ogoma, are you relaxed? Cuz I can't do that with my hair.
prettydarkthing, I can wash more often if and only if someone else does my hair. I don't have the desire to spend hours styling. I would only use the DR salons for washing and styling as I want with no heat so I'm not worried about them using their torches to straighten my kinks.

Ogoma

No 4a/b natural. I cannot get the swoop, but smooth my wet/damp hair in that direction with a slippy moisturizer and gel for frizz. I french or cornrow it down as opposed to the pin curls in the picture.

I am constantly surprised at what I can do with my hair once I give it a try.

Fine 4s

It takes me longer to do small to medium size twists. If I do them larger 2.5 or less might be right. I want to do them like I used to when I first started taking care of my hair.