I'm new & need some advice!

Rose1

Hi Everyone :wave:

I'm new to LHC and am looking for advise on strengthening and growing my hair.

My hair history - My hair was natural for about 15 years (it seem to stop growing when it reached shoulder length). Anyway in June this year I decided to take the plunge and relax it using Doo Gro relaxer as I was getting fed up with kinky twists (either my own hair or extensions), braided extensions or pressing. My hair needed re-touching every 6-8 weeks as it was growing out too quickly and as a result started to break. I tried to use minimal heat and wrapped my hair. I then had a sew in weave in early October to give my hair a break, and just relaxed the front and sides which were left out this time using Vitale Olive Oil relaxer. After about one month the hair which was left out started to break so I had a full weave. Yesterday I had my hair relaxed using Vitale Olive Oil relaxer and am hoping to prevent breakage. Another thing, the hair in the middle is very thin (more noticable now that my hair is relaxed) and I'm hoping to thicken it, but don't know how. It was thin before relaxing. Maybe this is because of too much braiding and kinky twists using extensions. It use to be really thick until a couple years ago.

BTW here are the hair products I have in my bathroom, some of which I no longer use:

Dr Miracle's Temple & Nape Gro Balm
Aphoghee Shampoo for damaged hair - Bought this yesterday, never used before.
Aphogee Pro Vitaming leave in conditioner
Aphogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor - Bought this yesterday, never used before.
Doo Gro Mega Thich Intensive Repair Conditioner
Doo Gro Growth Oil - Easy to apply when wearing a weave.
Doo Gro Leave in Conditioner Treatment
Doo Gro Medicate Hair Vitalizer
Aveda Brilliant Shampoo
Aveda Damage Remedy Intensive Reconstructing Treatment (Great but expensive!)
Black & Sassy Wrap Creme
Black & Sassy Wrap Sheen
IC Hair Polisher
Elasta QP Glaze
Africare Silk Spray - Bought this yesterday, used for the first time today.
ORS Olive Oil Hair Moisturizing Lotion
Africa's Best Organics Horsetail & Rosemary Hair Revitilizer - Does not contain mineral oil or petroleum. Used for the first time yesterday after relaxing.
Africa's Best Organics Carrot Oil Cream - Does not contain mineral oil or petroleum. Bought this a while ago but not yet used.
Africa's Best Organic Olive Oil Deep Therapy - Bought this yesterday, never used before.
Motions Marula Natural Hair Therapy Hair & Scalp Oil. I used this when I had the weave.

I'm going to Jamaica for christmas and new year (I'm so excited about seeing my JA family) and hope to buy a few bottles of JBCO as it seems to be highly recommended here.

Sorry for the long post, but any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

Last edited:

BlaqBella

You should probably start using castor oil in that thin crown area asap....some gurus should chime in soon w/more help.HHG!

PPGbubbles

Welcome!

I have nothing to add as I know nothing about relaxers BUT there are some trully knowlegeable women here. I hope you find the help you are looking for :)

best of luck and happy growing!

hairmaster

WELCOME What have you been doing before the weave? Shampoo how often? deep condition. you know the basics..... is weave a sew in or glue?

Last edited:

Rose1

Hi hairmaster

Before the sew in weave my hair was relaxed (relaxed in June this year for the first time in 15 years). I shampoo with Aveda Brilliant about once a week and then deep condition with Aveda Damage Remedy Intensive Reconstructing Treatment. I also have steam treatments at the hairdresser. I have noticed quite a bit of growth now that the weave has been taken out.

lusciousladie07

My suggestion would be to stop the weaves for a while. It sounds like your hair needs moisture and if not done before the install, the synthetic hair or added hair can draw moisture out of your hair and make it more dry=breakage.

I think you should look into some protective styles that don't require install. Your could use wigs that you remove nightly if your not comfortable with your hair yet. I would start a weekly routine with a protien and moisture dc regi until your hair recovers. The protien/moisture balance is key to healthy hair, whether relaxed or natural.

From you list, it looks like you have a ton of protien dc conditioners but no moisture replenishing conditions. I would suggest lekair cholesterol or silicon mix if your hair can stand cones.

I would do a low/no heat styling options. Roller sets and loose bunning, Wigging it up while keeping it moisturized underneath, or pinned up braid-outs/twist outs.

Apply a moistuizer to your ends every night/every other night and seal with a oil (castor or coconut) or a butter (shea or any other you like) until you feel a difference.

HTH!! Good luck and cant wait to see your hair turn around for the better!

Last edited:

LiberianGirl

Welcome to LHCF. I strongly encourage you to get JBCO. It has really helped my hair stay moist and thicken up. I use it for scalp massages and deep conditioning.

hairmaster

Sounds like you're on to some thing now what about a leave in or light oil to add strength
and finale how do you protect your hair at night?

Rose1

My suggestion would be to stop the weaves for a while. It sounds like your hair needs moisture and if not done before the install, the synthetic hair or added hair can draw moisture out of your hair and make it more dry=breakage.

I think you should look into some protective styles that don't require install. Your could use wigs that you remove nightly if your not comfortable with your hair yet. I would start a weekly routine with a protien and moisture dc regi until your hair recovers. The protien/moisture balance is key to healthy hair, whether relaxed or natural.

From you list, it looks like you have a ton of protien dc conditioners but no moisture replenishing conditions. I would suggest lekair cholesterol or silicon mix if your hair can stand cones.

I would do a low/no heat styling options. Roller sets and loose bunning, Wigging it up while keeping it moisturized underneath, or pinned up braid-outs/twist outs.

Apply a moistuizer to your ends every night/every other night and seal with a oil (castor or coconut) or a butter (shea or any other you like) until you feel a difference.

HTH!! Good luck and cant wait to see your hair turn around for the better!

Hi lusciousladie07

Thanks for responding. I plan to do a dc moisturizing treatment in a few days using Africa's Best Olive Oil DC and also their herbal oil. I don't use that much heat on my hair. I blow dry after washing using a heat protector and as I wrap my hair at night, I rarely use my straightners. I can't sleep in rollers as I find them really uncomfortable. I tried pin curling last night for the first time ever after watching a tutorial on You Tube. They came out ok for a first try but the curls did not stay in for very long so this evening I will try again using a setting lotion. I also want to try bantu knots out.

I'm not a big weave wearer and have only ever had 4 weaves the first being about 2 years ago. If I do have another weave, it will be to stretch out this relaxer if my hair starts to break again. It will also be a full sew in as the first and only time I left some of my hair out at the front and sides, it started breaking after a few weeks, and I am now left with short lengths in some areas. :sad:

Rose1

Sounds like you're on to some thing now what about a leave in or light oil to add strength
and finale how do you protect your hair at night?

I have recently started using the Aphogee leave in. I wrap my hair at night, but I'm also giving pin curls a go as I fancy a few curls for a change.

Salsarisma

Hi Rose 1. I'm new here to, and I've only been on my HHJ for two months. My best suggestion for you is to really search this site and learn everything you can. There is already a ton of info on the site that could help you.

Start with the favorite stickies post. There is a sticky for beginners with great info. Also if you are curious about a product, enter the name of the product in the search field and look at Archives regarding that product. Once you are "armed" with information, you have to develop a reggie that works for you! Good luck!

Rose1

So, yesterday I decided to start a new regime to sort out my hair. This is what I did:

Washed with Aphogee Deep Moisture Shampoo (bought this on Friday)
DC with Aphogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor. I then wrapped my head in cling film for a few hours (just sat watching TV). Rinses out.
Applied Africa's Best Organic Olive Oil Deep Therapy to add some moisture. Wrapped in cling film again and left overnight.

When I rinsed my hair this morning, my hair was so soft.

I then used Aveda Damage Control Spray and ORS Olive Oil Moisturizing Lotion to protect my hair while blow drying. Followed by pure refined shea butter to seal and also moisturize my scalp as my scalp can get very dry at times.

When I go to Jamaica next week, I will buy some JBCO to mix with the shea butter.

What do people think of my new regime? Is there anything anyone can think of that I may haved missed out which would improve the condition of my hair?

Thanks

Nya33

Welcome!!! You will find a lot of information on here to help.

Weaves can be a good way to give your hair a break I think you just need to find a good regimen to look after your hair and scalp underneath it. Ediese has a good thread on looking after your hair with a weave.

If you don't want to go down the weav route how about wigs/half wigs as some posters have said so at least you can protect your hair during the day and whip it off at night and do what you need to do with it!

Have you tried co-washing? I think the shampoo may be stripping your hair and drying your scalp. Try just using conditioner for your washes for added moisture and maybe washing with shampoo every two weeks or longer if you can /or wish. I wash with shampoo once every 3 weeks but if i have a lot of product buildup I may use it sooner.

I recommend reading Sistaslicks article on breakage and shedding. I notice you have quite a bit of protein in your regimen and too much of that will cause breakage. Is your hair breaking where the new growth meets the relaxed hair?

Have you got a leave in? There is the debate on whether oils provide moisture or not but i would find a good leave in then seal with your Africa's Best Organic Olive Oil Deep Therapy. Try doing this in the morning/before bed or both you should definately notice an improvement.

I know its cold right now in London but try and lay off the heat if you can.

Lastly try and stretch out your relaxers past 6-8 weeks that should help, also when you have it relaxed the previous relaxed hair isn't being relaxed is it? Before I go for a touch up i coat my previous relaxed hair with glycerin or conditioner (then my stylist does the same :yep:) to prevent run off as this can thin the hair too.

HTH

So, yesterday I decided to start a new regime to sort out my hair. This is what I did:

Washed with Aphogee Deep Moisture Shampoo (bought this on Friday)
DC with Aphogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor. I then wrapped my head in cling film for a few hours (just sat watching TV). Rinses out.
Applied Africa's Best Organic Olive Oil Deep Therapy to add some moisture. Wrapped in cling film again and left overnight.

When I rinsed my hair this morning, my hair was so soft.

I then used Aveda Damage Control Spray and ORS Olive Oil Moisturizing Lotion to protect my hair while blow drying. Followed by pure refined shea butter to seal and also moisturize my scalp as my scalp can get very dry at times.

When I go to Jamaica next week, I will buy some JBCO to mix with the shea butter.

What do people think of my new regime? Is there anything anyone can think of that I may haved missed out which would improve the condition of my hair?

Thanks