I'm So Tired Of Fake Hair

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
i think making this thread has inspired me to take this damn sew-in out of my head for the summer. i will likely go back because i need to retain every inch this winter for my wedding next year, but i need the summer free.
Since we're talking about hair, what brands and textures are you all buying? I'm a straight haired natural when I'm not donning a PS. I want it to look natural and not have issues with hair tangling. Any suggestions?
the best hair that i've ever used comes from my stylist here in Chicago. She has a kinky curly and a kinky straight that both blend very well (I'm 4a/b) with minimal tangling and shedding. I reuse those bundles at least 3-4 installs. i'm wearing some hair now that i've already worn probably 3 times before. bleached, dyed, you name it, i've done it and this hair is still holding on strong. if you're really gungho about it, send me some $$ for the hair and shipping and i wouldn't mind sending it to you. she needs to set up an online store like yesterday.

Hairesthetic (sp?) used to do a decent cheap kinky straight, but the shelf life is limited.
Most of the other kinky curly hair from online that i've tried-the memory of trying to detangle them makes me shudder. they look really cute on the Youtubers but trust me after a week, most of them will form dreadlocks.

FemmeFatale

I'm at the point where I feel kinda self concious with my 16" layered Cambodian wavy install. Don't get me wrong, it styled very well but I can't front, I kinda feel ridiculous in it now, like the pretty black girl that is only fully confident with her Cambodian weave installed.

And yeah, a curly textured weave seems less ridiculous on a bw.

GeorginaSparks

Eh I love fake hair and my goal is not to be realistic when it comes to length, fullness etc...that's the beauty of extensions imo. The majority of people I know wear weaves/wigs as protective style and their real hair underneath is very long. Im not bothered about teenagers and choppy hair. If it's not weave/wigs, it will be relaxer damage or just overall lack of taking care of their hair that will cause it to be choppy and/or damaged.
Coming from a wig head that's been wearing her real hair in a top bun for months now :drunk:

FemmeFatale

Eh I love fake hair and my goal is not to be realistic when it comes to length, fullness etc...that's the beauty of extensions imo. The majority of people I know wear weaves/wigs as protective style and their real hair underneath is very long. Im not bothered about teenagers and choppy hair. If it's not weave/wigs, it will be relaxer damage or just overall lack of taking care of their hair that will cause it to be choppy and/or damaged.
Coming from a wig head that's been wearing her real hair in a top bun for months now :drunk:

True and I have a head full of hair but I've also realized that I've become addicted. It's a protective style for me but I can also admit that it's an addiction and it's a part of my look 1o.5 months out of the year. I can see how that's problematic.

The last thing I want another non black woman to think is that I wanna be like her cause I have a long weave with her exact texture in. My negro wake up call was at work in the bathroom the other day. This new Indian associate was flipping and fixing her hair in the bathroom and suddenly everything Chrissie said clicked for me and I felt odd fixing my weave in her texture next to her.

melisandre

I go through phases. I'll wear my lacefronts for months and enjoy it. Then, I'll get tired of the wigs and I'll wear my natural hair out for months. Right now, I'm in a weave phase. It had been several years since I had a sew in, but I got one a few weeks ago for my wedding and I love it. I plan on getting it reinstalled when it's time to take it out.

I feel good whether my hair is natural, a weave or a wig. However, I do feel more glamorous with long, fake hair. Even, though my hair is a decent length, it's never as full as the fake hair. So, I definitely enjoy having the extra hair.

Misseyl

To each his own but I've never worn a weave, lace front nor do I own a wig. I love my hair too much to not look at it everyday. I just have to be in it, whether it is applying my moisturizers, combing or styling it, I just cannot go long periods without no interaction with my hair. I've worn box braids and I vowed not to install them in my head anymore because even though my hair grew, I didn't learn how to take care of it.:afro:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
there's a mix here of natural and fake.

i was out with some ppl and the wigs and weaves were ridiculous.
from apl to wl. WL--REALLY?! at least take care of them. none looked within spitting distance of real. Plastic and overshiny yet dry looking at the same time. they were women in their 20s to 50s.

i was the only natural in the bunch.

i used to do crochet but they were too hard on my strands. wigs snatched my edges. i might do crochwt again sometime but for now im just letting my hair do what it do.

im a manager in ultra conservative corporate america and have done best when not trying to fit in (promotions, awarded). its not going to be perfect everday and thats ok.

charmtreese

I use to be an avid weave wearer for yearrrrrs. I wore weaves back when they weren’t popular, so it was imperative to make sure that they blended well and looked natural or else I would have gotten reemed. For me I loved the instant fullness and length that I got with weaves, and yes, weaves became a serious crutch. I eventually had to just let all fake hair go and focus 100% on what was growing out of my scalp.

Now, you couldn’t pay me to wear fake hair. I feel that my natural hair suits me way more than any fake hair every did or could. Also, there's something empowering about being your authentic self. About knowing that what you present to the world everyday was created and designed just for you.

Last edited:

GeorginaSparks

True and I have a head full of hair but I've also realized that I've become addicted. It's a protective style for me but I can also admit that it's an addiction and it's a part of my look 1o.5 months out of the year. I can see how that's problematic.

The last thing I want another non black woman to think is that I wanna be like her cause I have a long weave with her exact texture in. My negro wake up call was at work in the bathroom the other day. This new Indian associate was flipping and fixing her hair in the bathroom and suddenly everything Chrissie said clicked for me and I felt odd fixing my weave in her texture next to her.
That sounds like some sort of insecurity.

GeorginaSparks

That's kinda the reality of it, other races know that we rock their hair and I bet they feel superior to bw because of it,

It's the same way I mentally chuckle when I see white girls with bbls and lip injections trying to emulate our black beauty.
Remember you're a carefree black girl! Honestly, I wear a lot of low luster kinky straight and kinky curly hair. It's very realistic and no one can ever tell it's not mine when i have an install or a wig. They can think what they want (which is an odd thing to think of) but that's not something one should ever worry about. And you're right, one could say the same of them inflating their lips and butt.

Bunnyhaslonghair

Ebonics Queen
I totally get where you are coming from OP. The majority of bw I see out and about are wearing noticeably fake hair. No telling how many are wearing it and I just can't tell. I think we are going to see even more in the near future now that wig technology is getting better and better. I'm mad I just now got into wigs. They are so convenient! There is a thin line between protective styling and neglect though.

Autumn~Tint~Of~Gold

Rocking the Casbah
I agree with a lot of what's written here. Just reading this thread I have in some cornrows which are easy to manage but I'd give anything to be able to wash my scalp right about now. Just a really good wash, especially because today is hot as hell outside.
This is one main reason I cannot wear a sew in as much as I would like to put my hair away into a protective style when it's hot the lack of scalp access would KILL me.
And I can't do a wig because I know there is no way I'd be able to make it look natural and I can't be walking around with a wig that looks like a hat :lol:.

Britt

This is one main reason I cannot wear a sew in as much as I would like to put my hair away into a protective style when it's hot the lack of scalp access would KILL me.
And I can't do a wig because I know there is no way I'd be able to make it look natural and I can't be walking around with a wig that looks like a hat :lol:.
Ohhhh yeahhhh a sew in feels funny with the lack of access to scalp. I've never worn a wig but something about it just looks uncomfy and miserable. Ehhhh, I just prefer the feel of my real hair. I like the look of braids, clip ins, etc but overall nothing beats the feel of my own hair.

BonBon

Im just truly lazy.

I wore a twa for years then got into braids for a long while and now wigs. I became acustomed to only needing to put my make up on and pick out an outfit in the morning. I loved the TWA days too because it was so quick.

Only really had the experience of longer hair as an adult and I cant stand it. I don't like styling, I dont like prep, I don't like weird **** like static and flyaways etc... I'm used to starting the day with a particular style and looking the same at midnight, so wind/rain/heat messing up my real hair or even human hair extensions drives me crazy. I tried somma dat indian hair back in the day and hated the feel and the way it behaves - much prefer black hair to that crap.

I know this laziness is a direct result of not having long hair previously and wearing fixed styles. Im growing my hair to a reasonable shrinkage length so I can wear twistouts etc ..

Honey Bee

I saw that Chrissie video too and recognized her point.

However :look:, as a natural, I've never straightened my hair and, due to its fineness and not wanting heat damage, I probably won't. So the only way I'll ever wear straight hair again in life is if i buy it. :lol:

Otoh, I do spend the majority of my fake hair life in kinky textured crochets. My fave is freetress Brazilian braid, very close to my day two wng texture. I'm getting ready to do an install in the next few days and its gon be long and fabulous and, most importantly, natural looking. Shoot, even my straight hair installs look like long relaxed hair, properly tapered at the ends, etc.

One thing i will say is, we have to get better with these thinning shears, like fr-fr. And please stop using eight packs of hair for one install. It looks ridiculous.

GeorginaSparks

I don't think its insecure to feel funny about wearing another races hair texture and in their company. You all kn0w they laugh at us and our weave addictions gas their heads up. No confidence can trump real facts.
The fact that one would even think about that is some sort of insecurity. Why are you worried about someone else's opinion of you or what kinda weave you wear?

Rastafarai

Rocky I know exactly what you mean and I have a weave in too. After watching Chrissie's video I really started to open my eyes.

On the real, we really do over do it with the makeup and contouring. Layer upon layer of makeup. Just give me a compact powder and I'm good. Our mamas and grannies didn't need all that to get and keep a good man. That and butt implants. The Kim K effect is making us look like brown plastic dolls.

Gin&Tonic

The fact that one would even think about that is some sort of insecurity. Why are you worried about someone else's opinion of you or what kinda weave you wear?

The poster said she was standing next to an Indian woman. Now you are both in the mirror...
Come on now. I chuckle at white ladies with their tans and big fake lips.

You call me insecure for taking that indian virgin out of my head. I call you delusional for not considering the reality of it all.

fifi134

I've been feeling the same for a long minute now. Every single woman in my family ( and I have a BIG family) except one aunt, my mom, myself, my sister (who's loc'd) and one cousin relies on wigs and weaves and crazy crochet installs. And the sad thing is their natural hair underneath is not healthy! They spend more time caring for the fake hair and buying mad wigs and spending so much on remy and they don't give their real hair half the same attention. There are those who have natural hair and boast about being natural but they NEVER wear their hair out :perplexed:

Coupled with the atrocious looking acrylics and drag makeup I see on the daily out and about, I've been over this. I'm rocking a TWA that I wish would hurry up and grow but I'm resisting the urge to get braids/twists because I aim to relearn my hair and grow it back to MBL on its own. I shared this pic before but in 3.5 months I gained a lot of growth just from oiling my scalp and washing and moisturizing consistently and properly. Protective styling should be done but we're kidding ourselves if we say weaves and wigs aren't a crutch for a large proportion of BW.

Attachments

• IMG_3350.JPG
    IMG_3350.JPG
    329 KB · Views: 97
Last edited: