I'm thinking of giving up expensive hair products...

KhandiB

MizaniMami said:
I *think* (no evidence though) EQP Mango Butter is being discontinued. It is on clearance everywhere!

Yall better stock up

Maybe not, they have clearance sales when they are changing packaging too..
that might be it :)

Lemme go investigate..

Too many people buy that for it to be discontinued...

KhandiB

The only suave that used to do good by me besides the clarifying is the Awaphui and it was discontinued.. so

Ive never used V05 though...

JCoily said:
I have tried to incorporate the cheap products into my regimen and my hair gets an attitude every time. More power to the folks that can get the VO5's and Suave's to work for them.

HoneyDew

JCoily said:
I have tried to incorporate the cheap products into my regimen and my hair gets an attitude every time. More power to the folks that can get the VO5's and Suave's to work for them.

I with you on this one. My hair just does not like it. Icannot even use the Suave clarifying. It was "okay" I guess, but it just did not give me what my higher end one gives me.

krissyprissy

kandegirl said:
I know my coarse hair loves moisture and CON works well for me and so does Sauve Clarifying Shampoo. But that's about where my love of cheaper products stops as far as shampoos. As far as conditioner, cholesterols and hot oils have never done me wrong. But I am exploring Kenra products right now. I got them on sale at Trade Secret for 2 for $28.00 and so far so good. I think the key is to use an entire line for your shampooes and conditioners to get good results.

I also go to Trade Secrets for high end products, but will only purchase sale items or clearance stuff. I like cheaper products such as Optimun, Jasons, Profective, Surge, and Kids Organics. Suave and Vo5 are just ok.

Kalani

I have found that products like NTM and Herbal Essence work just as well on my hair, if not better, than the expensive brands.

The only product that is in a class of its own is Aubrey GBP conditioner. Nothing can substitute it!

KhandiB

When I tried the Suave Daily Clarifying Poo.. Ugh I did not like it , its made my hair feel so stripped...

But the Suave Clarifying the Rusk Knockoff is so nice :)

HoneyDew said:
I with you on this one. My hair just does not like it. Icannot even use the Suave clarifying. It was "okay" I guess, but it just did not give me what my higher end one gives me.

Syrah

Another poster hit it on the head - and I use some "Expensive brands" and some drug-store stuff.

Expensive brands are usually a lot more concentrated. While I love Suave's Milk and Honey Conditioner and I'm impressed with the ingredients (lots of oils) - that mess is SOOOOO thin compared to conditioners that I'm used to... which makes it GREAT for con-washing and detangling, not so great for deep conditioning. It'd take half a bottle of Suave to do what a 1/10th of a bottle of my Sage Conditioner will do.

And when you do the math - they probably come out about event. I buy my $18 conditioner once every 3 months, and a new bottle of suave every other week.

Mix and match. I'd say cheaper shampoos can be covered by more expensive conditioners. Leave-ins are leave-ins as they all tend to have the same ingredients, to varying degrees. I get my 1 Liter bottle of Abba Nourishing from the Drug Store for $15. LOVE it.

jasmin

Nothing wrong with cheap. I love NTM, ORS, Motions and a few other products. Sally's has quantum and other good cheap shampoo and conditioners.

Suave and V05 is another story...don't like what they do to my hair.

joyous

JCoily said:

I feel ya on this one. My hair ain't having it, so if higher end products give me the results that's what I'm sticking with.

LovelyLionessa

I am all about using cheap products, I just never really got into the whole salon thing. Fortunately, I have found plenty of products that work for me from Sally's, drugstores and discount chains like Wal-Mart and Target. CON is a great line that I can't really go wrong with, the poo I use consistently and I keep coming back to their Nourishing Conditioner. NTM is my staple line, all their products work really well. ORS RP paks are a great supplement for deep conditioning. I find cheapie conditioners like Suave Milk & Honey are ideal for pre poos when mixed with oil, co-washes, and as a detangling cream rinse. Right now I am madly in love with Wonder 8 oil and Africa's Best oil, they work wonders on my hair. :drunk:

The more expensive products I use at the moment are WGO, Rusk Smoother, and QB Alma & Olive Heavy Cream and they are worth every penny. :yep:

LovelyLionessa

caribeandiva said:
I KNOW!! that's what i was looking at walmart for but they were out. Target has it though.

My Wal-Mart doesn't carry it either. So I either get mine at Target or better yet when it goes on sale at Brooks or Walgreens for $3.99. :D

caribeandiva

Human being
pink_n_green_iz_me said:
I am reading "Beautiful Black Hair" by Shamboosie and she recommends that we use high quality products for our hair.

I know. That book is my hair bible. i love it! Shamboosie is right and without his expert advice i wouldn't have made any progress at all. His recommendations do work but if NTM is a high quality line (only cheaper than Nexxus) why not consider it? i might not switch permanently or at all. I'm thinking about it.

shunta

Lately, I have just been using my CON, and my hair is doing great. I like Elucence, too, but I get tired of having to order it offline and paying shipping, etc. I think Im gonna try this Neutrogena Triple Moisture line, so I can rotate my products so my hair wont get used to one thing. I hope I like it, wish me luck, Ladies!!!:grin:

LovelyLionessa

I love my cheapies!! They work so well. The majority of my products cost around $5 or less. Plus I have discovered a lot of "food" items that work really well in the hair. Honey, molasses, coffee, yogurt, mayo, evoo, coconut oil and I'm all set to try ACV next. :D

scribblescrabble2

I can't say completely agree with Paula, but some of high end products are probably overpriced. Miss Jessie's is a good example because all of the ingredients in their products are relatively inexpensive, but the price of the product itself is ridiculous. I remember reading an article years ago where a businesswoman admitted that some companies raise the price of their products because alot of people think that high price = quality.

I don't buy cheap products, mainly because they don't work for me, period.:( But if they did, I would probably use them. I use mid priced products from small companies for the most part.

Last edited:

sylver2

caribeandiva said:
i just read the book: "Don't go hair product shopping without me", and apparently cheap products are just as good as the expensive ones. so why am i wasting my money? true, i love the Nexxus line but it's hella expensive! i'm thinking of trying the NTM line next.

I LOVE that book. I bought it years ago.
Thats how I found out about NTM.
Before that I was wasting crazy money on Philip B, Phyto, Nexxus, Terax traveling all over to exclusive salons that carry this stuff. They weren't really doing anything for my hair. (nexxus was ok)
I bought the book and I started using Loreals Colorvive line because it had the same ingredients as the expensive Kerastase. It was doing my hair very good, then I read about NTM and that did my hair even better. Most of my staples I found from Paula's books.
John Frieda frizz ease serum, NTM Line, prescriptives makeup etc etc. Somone on the board recommended Rusk Smoother, I looked it up in Paulas book and she gave it a thumbs up and thats been another staple of mine.