Immersion Baptism

VimiJn

Let the truth set you free!
When I was growing up we attended an episcopalian church they had something called confirmation and you were sprinkled but not immersed. I've really been thinking a lot lately that I should go ahead and get baptized by immersion.
Have you been baptized by immersion in water?
Ps. I have been a believer for over 25 years but recently rededicated my heart to the Lord.

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
When I was growing up we attended an episcopalian church they had something called confirmation and you were sprinkled but not immersed. I've really been thinking a lot lately that I should go ahead and get baptized by immersion.
Have you been baptized by immersion in water?
Ps. I have been a believer for over 25 years but recently rededicated my heart to the Lord.

I was immersed.

I sometimes get weary of scriptural/biblical minutiae, but I'll just share because you've really been thinking about this. :smile:
Some churches or Christian belief systems make a big deal about the difference between sprinkling and immersion, insisting that baptism is supposed to be a metaphorical burial of the old self after which you arise up to become alive anew. They insist that based on scripture, baptism is to be like Christ's burial and resurrection, and thus the need for immersion and resulting lifting up out of the water.

I can't say how important all of that is because I'm no theologian or biblical expert. I do know that I have complete and utter peace of mind about my baptism because I was immersed and don't ever need to have the thought, "Should I have been immersed? Was I actually baptized when I was simply sprinkled?"

Whatever you decide, I hope you have peace about it and feel it is scriptural and how things should be. :sneakyhug:

Belle Du Jour

I was baptized by pouring over the head. I would have preferred immersion more for the symbolism but all forms of baptism (immersion, pouring or sprinkling) are valid. This dates back to the writings of the earliest Christians (Didache). When the apostles were baptizing thousands of people, it is unlikely that all were being immersed.

Belle Du Jour

What examples are provided in the bible? You know you can't go wrong if you follow that example. :smile:

If found one, and it's very descriptive. It's clearly immersion: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts+8:26-40&version=ESV

Any other biblical examples?

I believe that oral tradition as well as sacred writings also support what is in the Bible, since I don't believe in "sola scriptura." I trust what the apostles who lived at the time of Jesus said :yep:

But since you asked :)

Psalm 51:7
Sprinkle me with water and I will be pure; wash me and I will be whiter than snow.

Ezekiel 36:25
Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.

Acts 9:17–18
And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost. And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized. (This seems to have occurred in his household.)

From the Didache:
But concerning baptism, thus baptize ye: having first recited all these precepts [i.e., all that is included in the Rite of Baptism], baptize in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, in running water; but if thou hast not running water, baptize in some other water, and if thou canst not baptize in cold, in warm water; but if thou hast neither, pour water three times on the head, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. But before the baptism, let him who baptizeth and him who is baptized fast previously, and any others who may be able. And thou shalt command him who is baptized to fast one or two days before.

Last edited:

kanozas

se ven las caras pero nunca el corazón
What examples are provided in the bible? You know you can't go wrong if you follow that example. :smile:

If found one, and it's very descriptive. It's clearly immersion: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts+8:26-40&version=ESV

Any other biblical examples?

ETA: Once people post all the examples the bible has, I'm sure you'll feel at peace with any of those options. The Word is very peace-providing.

Baptism is a sacrament involving holy water and chrism. We are transformed by the water. Jesus transformed the water. Baptism also mean drowning. There is more than one meaning of it.

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/baptism-immersion-only