In Praise of Shrinkage

sonce

So, winter is here and as I try to make it through bouts of pneumonia, hypothermia, and snow-shoveling, I try to remember the little things for which I am grateful. Shrinkage is one of them. I style my hair in such a way as to maximize the shrinkage in winter because it is a protective mechanism: My hair is drawn tightly towards my head so that it cannot be damaged by the wind and cold. Anyone else use shrinkage for protection sometimes?

sonce

I would love to see the pics of your style. Do you have any?
I am finishing up a set of twists right now (the process is very slow b/c I have to first do some serious section-by-section detangling thanks to my Giovanni Direct fiasco). When I have finished, I will post pics. :) They are seriously shrunken and I love that right now.

Windsy

I do. My hair shrinks at least 40-50% so I do twist outs a lot in the winter and It's a wonderful protective style for me.

Mook's hair

Hmmm, I never looked at it that way before.

I hate being cold! I live in NJ...It's cold.

Cornrows are one of my favorite protective styles but I usually avoid them during the winter months because They leave my scalp (the parts) exposed and therefore make my head cold.

I have 8 months worth of new growth right now.

Do you have any suggestions for how a transitioning person can maximize shrinkage?

I'm weary of air-drying because is seems to make more problems and damage than I can handle. But if there's atrick to it, I'd love to hear about it.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I sometimes wear two shrunken puffs when I don't feel like blowdrying my hair out into a fluffy fro after washing.

discodumpling

IA shrinkage is the ultimate protection for my nappy strands. The 1st thing I do after completing plaits, twists etc is rinse my hair with cold water so that shrinkage kicks in.:grin: