Increase Your Hydration/moisture Levels Challenge 3/15 - 6/15

faithVA

I went to pick up 1 conditioner and I came home with 5 bottles of conditioner, 1 jar of gel and 1 shampoo bar :look:

I picked up the Kirkland brand of conditioner while I was at Costco. Then I said I would just go to TJ Maxx and see what they had since I was right there. So I picked up 2 conditioners, the gel and the shampoo bar. And since Vitamin Shoppe was right there I wanted to try the Aubrey Organics conditioner again. Well they had the conditioner 70% off so I had to get 2 bottles :yep:

And I used every single one of those products tonight except the gel :lol: I tried the shampoo bar which is SM Rhassoul clay shampoo bar. It lathers so easy so I may have used too much. It was more lather than my hair needs but it wasn't too, too stripping. I definitely would have to condition after it which I don't have to do when I use actual rhassoul clay.

I tried each of the conditioners on a different section of my hair. Some are heavier than others. Some are better for finger detangling. Some work better on dry hair. The Kirkland brand really calms my hair and makes it easy to finger detangle. The jury is still out on the Aubrey Organics. It is really thick but I'm not sure I can finger detangle my hair with it. I may have to mix it with one of the other ones to be able to use it.

I just bought the gel because it was the SM curl souffle. They had a small jar for $5 and I figured that was a good price to try it. It will just go in my stash for now until one day I'm ready to try another wash n go.

Tonight was a longer rinse day than most. I used the shampoo bar. I put a different conditioner on each of the 4 sections and let the conditioner sit for 30 minutes because the bar was a bit stripping for my hair. I rinsed. Then I put the Kirkland conditioner on 1/2 of my head and the Amiva conditioner on the other half. I rinsed and both sides were soft. I then put the diluted Giovanni on all sections and twisted it up. My hair won't be dry in the morning so won't be wearing it out. I will probably take out these 2 strands and put in some flat twists to get me through the weekend.

CurlyWhoCrux

Finally washed and deep conditioned my hair.
I need to pick up some more of the TXTR mask because that’s what I’ve been using to cowash with.

I’m not necessarily sure of its healthy hair benefits as working on my hair. But, it gives me a lot of slip to detangle and work through and that makes the whole cowashing process easier and therefore makes me more likely to do it because I know it’s not gonna be tiring.

Last edited:

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
I made the mistake of water rinsing my hair without conditioning or M&S yesterday. I woke up with the driest hair ever!
I wet my hair, then soaked it in conditioner. I did a full detangle, slathered my hair in Shea butter, then gel for wash n go. My hair feels so much better. Tomorrow is wash day, but I may skip it.

faithVA

I made the mistake of water rinsing my hair without conditioning or M&S yesterday. I woke up with the driest hair ever!
I wet my hair, then soaked it in conditioner. I did a full detangle, slathered my hair in Shea butter, then gel for wash n go. My hair feels so much better. Tomorrow is wash day, but I may skip it.

:eek: Glad you saved the day.

CurlyWhoCrux

So yesterday did you not detangle your hair then?

CurlyWhoCrux

Part of my goal with this challenge is to think more critically about how my hair responds to products and methods.

So today when I applied my deep conditioner, I twisted my hair up. But then I untwisted my hair to bun it for the day. My hair was really big after I untwisted and applied Shea butter before bunning.

I’m wondering should the volume of my hair be really decreased when I apply a deep conditioner. I feel like decreased volume is an indicator of product absorption.

So then because my hair had so much volume as if I hadn’t applied any deep conditioner, is that an indicator that the deep conditioner isn’t gonna work for me or that I need more. I’m not sure.

faithVA

Part of my goal with this challenge is to think more critically about how my hair responds to products and methods.

So today when I applied my deep conditioner, I twisted my hair up. But then I untwisted my hair to bun it for the day. My hair was really big after I untwisted and applied Shea butter before bunning.

I’m wondering should the volume of my hair be really decreased when I apply a deep conditioner. I feel like decreased volume is an indicator of product absorption.

So then because my hair had so much volume as if I hadn’t applied any deep conditioner, is that an indicator that the deep conditioner isn’t gonna work for me or that I need more. I’m not sure.
This is an interesting thought. The volume of my hair increases as the water evaporates even with product. If initially the volume decreases as time goes by the volume would increase after a few minutes. I think the deep conditioner still worked but the water that was weighing the hair down is starting to evaporate.

CurlyWhoCrux

This is an interesting thought. The volume of my hair increases as the water evaporates even with product. If initially the volume decreases as time goes by the volume would increase after a few minutes. I think the deep conditioner still worked but the water that was weighing the hair down is starting to evaporate.

I think my hair is the same way. So that’s why in my initial post I think I said I want to have decreased volume because that would mean an increase in water retention.

faithVA

I tried the Acure conditioner tonight to see if its something I can take on vacation. I think it will work just fine. I did my regular rinse, conditioned with the Acure, rinsed and put in diluted conditioner. Twisted up in flat twist towards the crown. I will sport this same style for April.

faithVA

I took my twist out after 3 days and my hair felt pretty good. I'm trying the Acure again. Just did my regular rinse and put in flat twist.

I may henna tomorrow if I can make it in the morning before work.

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
I drenched my hair in Sirod Fermented Rice Leave-in Conditioner, then layered with the following:
APB Ayurvedic Mist
BoBeam conditioner
Shea butter concoction.

I will report back on how my hair feels later on today. Currently having a bout with insomnia.

CurlyWhoCrux

Have started taking baths every couple of days and making sure my hair gets submerged in water and I run it under running water in the tub as well. I can feel a difference better than I can see one. My hair, under running water, is very smooth once detangled.

My hair is still frizzy and not very defined. But knowing that my hair has changed in at least one way gives me hope that it will continue to change in other ways.

Baths take a long time, but showers do too and I’m having more improvement with baths so I’ll keep this up.

CurlyWhoCrux

Still committed to increasing moisture levels.

I sometimes think that if I were doing this same method that I’m doing but instead of having majority coarse strands I had majority fine strands, I feel like I would see results quicker. But instead I have thick strands that individually most require A LOT of water to feel smooth, soft, behave itself, etc...and so I feel like my progress is slow. But there is progress. I can see the deep waves when I run water on sections of my hair. I can feel vague definition once I’ve put my hair up and it starts to dry. And maybe there is just a little more shine too.

I’m off from school for the next several days so I’ll try to take a bath every day. If not, well showers are actually becoming easier and shorter..the easier this all becomes the more likely I’m going to continue to do it which will continue to improve my hair which will continue to make it easier etc...

It’s a good thing I find haircare to be a very therapeutic outlet.

faithVA

I sometimes think that if I were doing this same method that I’m doing but instead of having majority coarse strands I had majority fine strands, I feel like I would see results quicker. But instead I have thick strands that individually most require A LOT of water to feel smooth, soft, behave itself, etc...and so I feel like my progress is slow. But there is progress. I can see the deep waves when I run water on sections of my hair. I can feel vague definition once I’ve put my hair up and it starts to dry. And maybe there is just a little more shine too.

I’m off from school for the next several days so I’ll try to take a bath every day. If not, well showers are actually becoming easier and shorter..the easier this all becomes the more likely I’m going to continue to do it which will continue to improve my hair which will continue to make it easier etc...

Thank you for such detailed updates.

water_n_oil

You legit just described my hair in describing yours. Definitely easier to see with finer strands. My oldest daughter has super fine hair and her waves come out so easily.

water_n_oil

Late to the party but I'm in!

What problems are you currently having?
Main issue really is not sticking to the same things. My crown gets the driest but maintaining moisture elsewhere isn't so bad. Oh, and defining my hair without using 50lbs of gel.
What is your hair history?
Dryness was definitely a major issue in the past but I've gotten better at moisturizing. Buildup is often an issue as well depending on my product choices.
What have you tried before?
I've bounced back and forth between store bought products and diys quite frequently. I find hair milks are nice but my hair seems to dry faster with using different things.
What steps do you plan to take/What is your challenge regimen?
Rinsing 2-3 times a week, sticking with mostly DIYs, heavy shea butter and oil usage. I generally just do puffs and wngs. May do 2 braids here and there.
What would you like to see/be able to do at the end of the 90 days?
Smoother hair, moisture retention in my crown, deeper waves with my puffs.
Anything else you would like to share?
I had already started getting more heavy handed with shea and applying an oil even after that. Shea alone was good but with the oil as well, my puffs over the last week have felt really good.

faithVA

Late to the party but I'm in!

What problems are you currently having?
Main issue really is not sticking to the same things. My crown gets the driest but maintaining moisture elsewhere isn't so bad. Oh, and defining my hair without using 50lbs of gel.
What is your hair history?
Dryness was definitely a major issue in the past but I've gotten better at moisturizing. Buildup is often an issue as well depending on my product choices.
What have you tried before?
I've bounced back and forth between store bought products and diys quite frequently. I find hair milks are nice but my hair seems to dry faster with using different things.
What steps do you plan to take/What is your challenge regimen?
Rinsing 2-3 times a week, sticking with mostly DIYs, heavy shea butter and oil usage. I generally just do puffs and wngs. May do 2 braids here and there.
What would you like to see/be able to do at the end of the 90 days?
Smoother hair, moisture retention in my crown, deeper waves with my puffs.
Anything else you would like to share?
I had already started getting more heavy handed with shea and applying an oil even after that. Shea alone was good but with the oil as well, my puffs over the last week have felt really good.
Welcome to the thread. Do you just rinse and reapply the butter and oil? How often do you shampoo?

water_n_oil

Welcome to the thread. Do you just rinse and reapply the butter and oil? How often do you shampoo?
Yes. I shampoo once a week typically. In the past I used to wet my hair every 5 days alternating between a full wash and just rinsing. That seemed to work well.

faithVA

Just getting back from vacation. While on vacation I didn't stick to the very other day rinse but I did get 2 rinses in during my vacation. I got an hot oil treatment while on the cruise. The stylist looked at my hair and said Your hair is so dry. I was sad and disappointed because I was hoping that I had at least made some progress.

I got over it though. Because I know my hair is at least better than it was in January. So even if it is still dry it isn't nearly as bad as it was in January. Hopefully sticking to the rinsing will shoe me more progress by the end of the summer.

This weekend I am doing a deep condition, blow dry and dusting my ends. Hopefully getting rid of some bad ends will help a bit. Then I will do a protein treatment just in case I am having any issues with protein.

In another thread they were talking about Squish to Condition. I plan on trying this next week some time. http://www.thereoncewasacurl.com/blog/squish-to-condish

blazingbeauty

Just purchased a handheld fabric steamer (one that *shouldn’t* get as hot as more expensive ones).

For the duration of this hydration challenge, I will use it when I am fully re-moisturizing which happens once every other week:
Wk 1: m&s (LCB) at the end of the week Wk 2: wash day at the end of the week.
In between I spritz my hair, and sometimes seal w/oil or butter.

M&S rehydration mini experiment:
- Steam hair (low heat) prior to applying
product until damp/wet and products are
reactivated
- Reapply Leave In, Cream, and Seal with
my shea butter mix
- Keep on top of my Aphogee treatments because my hair is normal to high porosity

CurlyWhoCrux

Just getting back from vacation. While on vacation I didn't stick to the very other day rinse but I did get 2 rinses in during my vacation. I got an hot oil treatment while on the cruise. The stylist looked at my hair and said Your hair is so dry. I was sad and disappointed because I was hoping that I had at least made some progress.

I got over it though. Because I know my hair is at least better than it was in January. So even if it is still dry it isn't nearly as bad as it was in January. Hopefully sticking to the rinsing will shoe me more progress by the end of the summer.

This weekend I am doing a deep condition, blow dry and dusting my ends. Hopefully getting rid of some bad ends will help a bit. Then I will do a protein treatment just in case I am having any issues with protein.

In another thread they were talking about Squish to Condition. I plan on trying this next week some time. http://www.thereoncewasacurl.com/blog/squish-to-condish

Years ago when I first started my hair journey, I went to get my hair done for graduation I think, and the stylist told me “Your hair is sooooooooo dry.” To this day I still here her voice and remember the exact moment she said it while she was shampooing my hair.

It’s not dry for lack of trying tho...we’ll get there.

faithVA

Years ago when I first started my hair journey, I went to get my hair done for graduation I think, and the stylist told me “Your hair is sooooooooo dry.” To this day I still here her voice and remember the exact moment she said it while she was shampooing my hair.

Many of my stylists have told me this as far back as I can remember. Its definitely not for lack of trying.

I'm definitely not giving up. I feel like I am making a little progress.

I blow dried and dusted over the weekend. My hair feels decent today.

faithVA

I think I have gone as far as I can go with the rinsing every other day method. I'm trying out the oil rinsing method they are talking about in the Wolfgang Lisborg thread. I tried it tonight for the first. I will update tomorrow on how my hair held up.

My hair does prefer to be rinsed every other day versus trying to LOC and do my hair every week. So I will be sticking with some type of rinsing every other day.