Index of Black Owned Hair Companies & list Non-Black Owned (often mistaken for ours)

virtuenow

Re: Index of Black Owned Hair Companies & list Non-Black Owned (often mistaken for ou

@virtuenow I started a BOBSS thread a while back with a list of the stores in everyone's area but it didn't really take off. I also tried to get the BOBSS association to give me a list but I got no response. Any suggestions?

cocomama: was it in this list:
Yes, we need a sticky, more of a database of black owned hair care product companies @pebbles @Supergirl @Allandra. In that thread, we should also include a list of non-black owned hair companies. It's important to know that certain companies we assumed were black owned are far from it (e.g., Dr. Miracles, Dark n Lovely, Motions, TCB, Hawaiian Silky, As I Am Naturally, Cantu Hair Products/Shea Butter, and ORGANIC ROOT STIMULATOR or ORS = NOT BLACK OWNED).

Until then, here are some threads that list black owned hair companies:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=665547

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=423382

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=419508

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=635311

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=676897

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=581213

If not, I couldn't find your thread, but I think I've seen it before. Could you link me to it? I would like to add some of the content so its all in one place. The BOBSS may need a more profound statement from us-- and our willingness to help-- and participate in the initiative to recclaim black business. Also, for a thread, the thread title is really important. I did not know what BOBSS meant-- so I'm sure many others do not know.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Re: Index of Black Owned Hair Companies & list Non-Black Owned (often mistaken for ou

Great information.
Glad its a sticky!

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint

virtuenow Here is another one for Atlanta.They sell some of the natural/handmade lines like Darcy's Hydrathermal Naturals, Hairveda etc. BTW I pmed you.

Healthy Hair Dimensions
The Shops of Heritage Place:
4450 Hugh Howell Rd., Ste 13
Tucker, Georgia 30084

770-908-8020

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint

Another Blk owned BSS

Atlanta Beauty Depot
2388 Cobb Pkwy SE
Smyrna, GA 30080

(770) 916-1990

fiyahwerks

Independent Black Owned Hair Care Products Companies/Beauty Supply stores Part I:

Afrikan Republic: www.afrikanrepublic. com
Afroveda: www.afroveda.com

Hi virtuenow ,

I think Afrikan Republic, Afroveda and Ari Hair and Body URL links are incorrect. Reviewing the coding: it has www.lipstickalley.com URL before the merchandiser's URL. When you click on it, it takes you LipStickAlley forums and not directly to the merchandiser site. Could this be reviewed to make the necessary corrections?

Thanks.

Last edited:

NaiyaAi

There is another thread on here that says Isoplus is black-owned. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

ETA: Nevermind, I count four companies that make relaxers. Which still doesn't leave many choices. :ohwell:

Last edited:

ARSmith

Don't forget Genuine African Formula

camilla

love this so many companies are sold its hard to keep track :nono:
subed to this thread

Last edited:

chocolatethai

Thanks for this thread ladies! I want to support black businesses as much as possible from the list it looks like the bss stuff we grew up on isn't black owned at all, the brands that I use now that I'm natural are black owned and not full of mineral oil or petroleum. Just proves that black people know what black hair needs. :look: so glad curl junkie is on the good list

RUBY

I don't think Akamuti is black owned. I was going to place an order awhile back and looked in the about us section and from the info and pics I think its owned and managed by a collective.

virtuenow

** Disclaimer**:
Please note, **I will not be updating the original posts**. I do not have the time or energy to keep following every company on this voluminous list or every post. That was never my intention. I did, however, put a lot of work & time into checking the original posts (when originally posted in 1st thread); confirming the lists; adding to the lists; and locating companies/distributors.

**Members have added updates to the thread**

**Please follow the thread for the most up to date accounting of black owned businesses. Remember, this is a group project not my self project! So please CONTRIBUTE TO THE THREAD and add your updates on the list by posting info and links in the thread. Keep every up to date on the newest black owned businesses.

Thanks ladies!

NaturallyATLPCH

Add Eden Bodyworks to this list as well...:yep:

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
This BSS just opened up not too long ago. I think the owner is still getting her business together *but* I had a very pleasant shopping experience and she has a number of things that usually need to be ordered online with lengthy wait times/$$ shipping fees.

The Curl Kitchen
3428 S. King Drive
Chicago, Illinois 60616
(312) 273-3646
I believe typical hours are 11:00 am - 6:00 pm, Tuesday-Saturday, but you should call before heading to this shop because I hear hours can vary.

Subscribe

I'm starting to think SM is not black owed :nono:

blackeyes31626

anybody know any black african soap vendors, besides buttersnbars?

lenu80

APB, JAKEALA, TGIN, BEEMINE, SOULTANICALS

TheNDofUO

Curlyemporium - online bss for British girls. Find a lot if black owned American brands there

girlcherokee

Wonderful thread. Looking for good producers for our twist outs so I'll be shopping from this list! :) Thanks so much for starting this!

virtuenow

I'm starting to think SM is not black owed :nono:

Subscribe, me too. Has anyone done an updated confirmation on whether Shea Moisture is still black owned? Small black businesses get bought out-- and then still try to appear to be black owned.

ImanAdero

Can Carol's Daughter be removed from this list now? Can we do that?

greenandchic

Subscribe, me too. Has anyone done an updated confirmation on whether Shea Moisture is still black owned? Small black businesses get bought out-- and then still try to appear to be black owned.

On one of their containers Sundial Brands is listed as the company that makes Shea Moisture. http://www.sundialbrands.com/ On their "about us" page, all of the members are black but I don't know how current it is...