Indian Powders = Hard Hair???

FeelinIt

I have only been using the Ayurvedic method using the Indian hair powders for two weeks. For the first week I really messed up using 1 tbls of 4 different powders and making a paste to put on my hair. I realized after that I should have used less powder.

Initially I had been itching like crazy all over. I adjusted my powders to teaspoons and adjusted the ratio and the itchies stopped BUT my hair texture has....well hardened.

I wet my hair daily. It is one of the only ways to keep it soft and moisturized. As of yesterday my hair feels like I did nothing to it with regards to conditioner, oil and moisturizing. If feels hella dry, extremely dense and hard.

Natural before but I used a texturizer (lusters men in that blue box) a few months back. My texture was a little looser. I only left the texturizer in for 5 minutes though, including application time.

But looking at my hair now, you would never know I had a texturizer. Just the night before I pre-oiled, rinsed my hair with warm water, applied the powder mixture, seran wrapped my head and covered it with my shower cap to keep the moisture in. Then an 1 hour later I rinsed. It def felt thicker but also harder.

Right now my hair is soo dense and hard. I oiled my scalp right after. I always leave in conditioner in my hair after I wash and then use glycerine/water mix and then oil the ends a bit. Usually this makes my hair really soft. Now it's like I did absolutely nothing to it.

Please offer your advice as to what the prob may be. The powder mix i used this time was watery as opposed to the last time when I used it in paste consistency.

HotRibena

Do you use a moisturizing conditioner afterwards? I don't leave the rinse in my hair...I use the rinse then condition. Also, do you have the correct proportion of shikakai to the other powders?

PassionFruit

for the past week I havent been rinsing my tea rinses out and my hair isnt hard... it is drier than before but nothing a leave-in didnt handle

FeelinIt

Do you use a moisturizing conditioner afterwards? I don't leave the rinse in my hair...I use the rinse then condition. Also, do you have the correct proportion of shikakai to the other powders?

I do nothing but conditioner washes afterward. I don't understand.

tld723

You also may be using to many differnet kinds of powders. start out with just 2. Shikakai (sp) is cleansing and can be drying, never use it alone Try mixing 1 teaspoon shikakai and 2 teaspoons amla, either making a paste or tea. My hair is kind of dry, and I use a tea. , mixing with 1 cup hot water. I pre oil (Amla), rinse for quite a while, pour tea on and rinse, leaving it on for a minute, maybe two, and rinse, and follow with a DEEP CONDITIONER.:grin: try doing a search and reading the posts. there is a lot of info to help you find the right balance for your hair

leleepop

You also may be using to many differnet kinds of powders. start out with just 2. Shikakai (sp) is cleansing and can be drying, never use it alone Try mixing 1 teaspoon shikakai and 2 teaspoons amla, either making a paste or tea. My hair is kind of dry, and I use a tea. , mixing with 1 cup hot water. I pre oil (Amla), rinse for quite a while, pour tea on and rinse, leaving it on for a minute, maybe two, and rinse, and follow with a DEEP CONDITIONER.:grin: try doing a search and reading the posts. there is a lot of info to help you find the right balance for your hair
I agree with this. Your need to deep condition w/heat for at least 15 min. under a plastic cap. I dont thick your should make a paste either.imho

The Girl

I am not being funny but are you rinsing really good? I have had the problem when I don't rinse really well. HTH

FeelinIt

Thanks for the reply. The search feature is kinda of special right now. I tried it first. I think you are right, i'm using to many things all at once. I'll ease up on the powders all at once. I knew I messed up at first but now..it's like my texture is totally different.

Like this morning, I washed my hair again and did a deep condition and followed up with oil on my hair and glycerine. This usually does the trick. I can't describe the feeling but it felt like dry hair even while soaking wet. It's strange.

FeelinIt

I am not being funny but are you rinsing really good? I have had the problem when I don't rinse really well. HTH

You know I thought about that too. But I rinsed for a looong time and then followed up with a CD wash and combed that through and then another long rinse. IDK.

I washed it with actual shampoo today and followed up with a DC. Still feels the same.

guudhair

I'm having the same problem also...hard/dry/stiff...I rinse well and I con wash afterwards too before I deep con w/heat and plastic cap...so I'm not sure what else to do...I mix 2 tsp amla, 1 tsp shikakai and 1 tsp bhringraj...I use tea bags also so I know there's not much, if any, residue in my tea.

Chameleonchick

I have only been using the Ayurvedic method using the Indian hair powders for two weeks. For the first week I really messed up using 1 tbls of 4 different powders and making a paste to put on my hair. I realized after that I should have used less powder.

Initially I had been itching like crazy all over. I adjusted my powders to teaspoons and adjusted the ratio and the itchies stopped BUT my hair texture has....well hardened.

I wet my hair daily. It is one of the only ways to keep it soft and moisturized. As of yesterday my hair feels like I did nothing to it with regards to conditioner, oil and moisturizing. If feels hella dry, extremely dense and hard.

Natural before but I used a texturizer (lusters men in that blue box) a few months back. My texture was a little looser. I only left the texturizer in for 5 minutes though, including application time.

But looking at my hair now, you would never know I had a texturizer. Just the night before I pre-oiled, rinsed my hair with warm water, applied the powder mixture, seran wrapped my head and covered it with my shower cap to keep the moisture in. Then an 1 hour later I rinsed. It def felt thicker but also harder.

Right now my hair is soo dense and hard. I oiled my scalp right after. I always leave in conditioner in my hair after I wash and then use glycerine/water mix and then oil the ends a bit. Usually this makes my hair really soft. Now it's like I did absolutely nothing to it.

Please offer your advice as to what the prob may be. The powder mix i used this time was watery as opposed to the last time when I used it in paste consistency.

You have to use a deep conditioner afterwards, I usually use a light conditioner(suave) and then follow with Lekairs cholesterol or silk element mega cholesterol. Then I detangle braid it and let it airdry in the braids.