Indigo On Henna

Lady-RuffDiamond

I henna my hair to cover my grey and use indigo to make it brown. I mix 75g henna 25g amla. Once that has developed in 7 hours, then I mix in 40g of indigo and apply to my hair.

However, the indigo fades after a week.

Does anyone have any tips to make my indigo last longer. How long should indigo last?

Aggie

In addition to what @IDareT'sHair said, you should not shampoo or deep condition nor should you add any oil to your hair within 3 days of using henna and indigo on your hair.

You really only need a light conditioner like v05, or Suave, or something like that to rinse out the henna and indigo. On the 4th day, you may proceed to shampoo, deep condition and/or add oil to your hair and scalp if you wish.

Last edited:

Lady-RuffDiamond

Thank you ladies. I have followed your advice. The greys are being covered.

However, I have new baby hair springing up within a week of dyeing it! So it looks like I either have to make it a weekly henna event or use a semi permanent dye on the very front of my head...

:cry3:

dyh080

You should use the same grams of indigo as henna. I use indigo for black hair, henna first (3hrs) and then indigo (2-3hrs) it lasts forever lol. I do it about 3 times a year.
That's what I do. And yes, it lasts forever.
If I mix indigo with henna I get an off black color that seems to fade.

frizzy

Thank you ladies. I have followed your advice. The greys are being covered.

However, I have new baby hair springing up within a week of dyeing it! So it looks like I either have to make it a weekly henna event or use a semi permanent dye on the very front of my head...

:cry3:
I have been known to henna and indigo my scalp and edges only when I didn't feel like doing the whole head treatment. It works!

icsonia22

I used henna 5 days ago. Is it too late to follow up with indigo in order to make my hair jet black?

In addition to what @IDareT'sHair said, you should not shampoo or deep condition nor should you add any oil to your hair within 3 days of using henna and indigo on your hair.

You really only need a light conditioner like v05, or Suave, or something like that to rinse out the henna and indigo. On the 4th day, you may proceed to shampoo, deep condition and/or add oil to your hair and scalp if you wish.

This is something new to me. I always deep conditioned immediately after I wash out the mix

Aggie

This is something new to me. I always deep conditioned immediately after I wash out the mix
I did too years ago and wondered why my hendigo didn't last as long as it should. Now that I have gray hairs coming in, it really matters now how I handle my hair when I henna it so that the color does not fade/wash away too quickly.