Ingredients in Herbal Essence Conditioner Part 1

Zeal

This is a very informative site on the dangers of ingrdients in Herbal Essence Products.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Ingredients-in-Herbal-Essences-Conditioner

Ingredients in Herbal Essence Conditioner

1. Body Envy

Body Envy was created to give hair a soft, luscious feel without weighing it down
Ingredients: water, cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone, stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, coral flower (russelia equisetiformis) extract, prunus persica nectarina extract, fragrance, cetyl alcohol, quaternium-18, stearyl alcohol, peg-2m, cetearyl alcohol, polysorbate-60, benzyl alcohol, hydroxyethylcellulose, glyceryl stearate, oleyl alcohol, citric acid, edta, propylene glycol, methylchloroisothiazolinone, methylisothiazolinone, yellow 10, yellow 5.
Cyclopentasiloxane: Also known as CPS, it is a silicone based product that adds lubrication, shine, and waterproofs the hair. It is often used in a combination with dimethicone to provide extra strength, shine, and waterproofing. However, CPS clinical studies that when tested on animals, this product produced tumors, endocrine disruption, neurotoxicity (damage to the brain and peripheral nervous system), organ toxicity (non-reproductive), and skin irritation.
Dimethicone: Attaches to the hair strand and fills in holes and weak spots to give strength to the hair. However, when dimethicone is used in shampoos it fills up the wholes and prevents conditioner from repairing the hair strand.
Stearamidopropyl dimethylamine: It is an emulsifier that is made from vegetable based components and is safe for the enviroment and for your hair. However, little to know studies have been done on the toxicity of this product.
Coral flower (russelia equisetiformis) extract, prunus persica nectarina extract, fragrance: Botanicals are great to add fragrance to the conditioner, but they do nothing to enhance or detract from the product.
Cetyl Alcohol: Unlike many alcohols, Cetyl Alcohol does not dry out the skin and hair. This is a moisturizing component that adds softness to the hair and helps retain moisture.
Quaternium-18: It is used as an anti-static agent in conditioners and to also keep the product from separating from oil and dry counterparts. The FDA has approved this substance as safe in its current doses and quantities.
Stearyl alcohol: It also keeps the product from separating into dry and oily parts and to keep the foam down when the product is shaken. It is a strong irritant for the skin and eyes. Studies on animals have shown tumor formation when in contact with high doses.
Peg-2m: Not much data on what peg-2m does, but accodring to Skin Deep database, it is not safe for damaged or irritated skin. There is evidence of sense organ toxicity.
Cetearyl alcohol: It is also used to keep products from separating and from foaming up.
Polysorbate-60: It helps other ingredients dissolve in mixtures that would not normally dissolve. Studies show that in high doses, it does cause cancer and reproductive problems on animals. In moderate doses, studies show that animals have organ toxicity.
Benzyl alcohol: An external anaglesics, Benzyl alcohol is applied to the skin to help relive pain. There is strong evidence that Benzyl alcohol causes neurotoxicity in humans and is toxic to the organs.
Hydroxyethylcellulose: These are plant derivative products and are also known as gum. They are used in cosmetics because they have the ability to swell in water and to take up space in products such as shampoo, conditioner, foundation, etc.
Glyceryl stearate: It is widely used in hair care products and cosmetics (even mascara) and is a skin lubricant. It gives the soft feel and touch to the skin when applied. By forming a barrier on the skin's surface, it slows the loss of water and prevents the skin from drying out easily.
Oleyl alcohol: Oleyl alcohol is an emulsion, which helps keep products from separating into liquid and oily parts. It also keeps the product from generating foam when shaken.
Citric acid: It is used as a preserving agent for the product and to keep the pH balance where required. However, animal studies show brain, nervous system, respiratory, gastrointestinal, and sense organ in very low doses. In moderate doses, studies show that animals had skin irritation.
Edta: They bond to metal ions and deactivate them, which prevents the deterioration of the product. It shows positive mutation for cancer cells. In animal studies there were systemic side effects at low doses, neurotoxicity at moderate doses, reproductive effects at high doses, and is a penetration enhancer. As a penetration enhancer it allows the skin to absorb more easily other products and chemicals into the blood stream.
Propylene glycol: It is a petroleum derivative that acts as a solvent, surfactant, and wetting agent. It easily penetrates skin and weakens cellular structure and protein structure. It can cause liver, brain, and kidney abnormalities. It is used in anti-freeze and hydraulic fluids. It is one of the primary irritants of skin, even in low concentrations. Propylene glycol is even found in some processed foods!!!
Methylchloroisothiazolinone: It is used to protect against bacteria, fungi, and yeasts. Not only is it used in shampoos and detergents, but also used in paints and fuels. The International Agency for Research on Cancer has not found any carcinogens in it. However, it is found to be an allergen.
Methylisothiazolinone: MIT has been found to affect the nervous system by restricting growth of axon and dendrites in immature nervous cells in rat brains. Also, long term exposure to this chemical showed in studies that it affected the way neurons communicate with each other. It is used in shampoos to prevent bacterial growth, but has been found to be a skin irritant. MIT can only affect the cells it comes in contact with. There would be no way for it to get into the bloodstream and to the brain unless you had an open wound.
Yellow 10: It is a product dye.
Yellow 5: Yellow #5, Coal tar, is used to control dandruff; however, it is a known cancer causing agent.
Dangerous Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Stearyl alcohol, Peg-2m, Polysorbate-60, Benzyl alcohol, Citric acid, Edta, Propylene glycol, Methylisothiazolinone, Yellow 5.

2. Dangerously Straight

Dangerously Straight was created to keep the smooth smoother and the fly aways landed.
Ingredients: water, stearyl alcohol, cyclopentasiloxane, cetyl alcohol, stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, dimethicone, honey extract, pyrus pyrifolia/pyrus bretschneideri blend (pear) juice, hydrolyzed silk, fragrance, glutamic acid, benzyl alcohol, edta, methylchloroisothiazolinone, methylisothiazolinone, red 33.
Hydrolyzed silk: A protein added to cosmetics to give a soft and smooth feel to skin and hair.
Glutamic Acid: It is a skin and hair conditioning agent. Animal studies show that at very low doses animals experienced cardiovascular effects and respiratory effects. At moderate doses animals experienced brain and nervous system effects.
Red 33: Red 33 is a color additive that is not approved by the FDA for use around the eyes.
Dangerous Ingredients: Stearyl alcohol, Glutamic acid, Benzyl alcohol, Edta, Methylisothiazolinone.

3. Hello Hydration

Hello Hydration was created to give dry and thirsty hair a drink of "water".
Ingredients: water, stearyl alcohol, cetyl alcohol, stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, vanilla planifolia fruit extract, cocos nucifera (coconut) fruit extract, glutamic acid, fragrance, bisaminopropyl dimethicone, benzyl alcohol, edta, propylene glycol, methylchloroisothiazolinone, methylisothiazolinone, citric acid, blue 1
Bisaminopropyl dimethicone: It is a silicone based polymere that is known for its conditioning agent.
Blue 1: It gives a blue color to cosmetics and personal care items. Has been shown to cause cancer in animal studies and immune toxicity in high doses.
Dangerous Ingredients: Stearyl alcohol, glutamic acid, Benzyl alcohol, Edta, propylene glycol, methylisothiazolinone, citric acid, and blue 1.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
bump -- for those that understand ingredients and use HE....do you find the ingredients listed as "dangerous" in the post to be a problem for our hair and total body health?

Vashti

I don't. I use Hello Hydration and I've found it to be very effective for moisturizing my hair. I only use it once a week to co-wash. Just speaking for myself.

L.Brown1114

dont a lot of condioners from other brands have these ingredients?? some have been around for years and iv never seen anyone say your conditioner is the reason you got cancer. hmmm we all gotta die someday but ill have moisturized hair when i do lol my casket pillows going to be sopin wet!!

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
dont a lot of condioners from other brands have these ingredients?? some have been around for years and iv never seen anyone say your conditioner is the reason you got cancer. hmmm we all gotta die someday but ill have moisturized hair when i do lol my casket pillows going to be sopin wet!!

Not sure what other prods include as I'm a newbie and still learning....ITA we must die someday but I'm really not trying to rush it. My hubs (32 at the time) had cancer in 2008 (praises he's now healed) and lived life relatively healthy with no drinking/smoking....so of course I'm just leery. If I was like 100, then this wouldn't concern me, but since my hubs and I have some good years ahead....I'm just being cautious. :ohwell:

LadyPBC

wow - thanks for the info. I used HH exclusively this weekend. I like it but I have other options that don't include all the chemicals.