Insanity

sunshinelady

I am doing an inventory of my hair-related products and it is insane:

I have 8 shampoos, 23 conditioners (that I have counted), 16 treatments (leave-in or deep), 13 styling products, and 22 miscellaneous items.

This has been really eye-opening for me since I have been breaking off or cutting all the progress I've made since joined the board.

This has got to stop. How is it that my hair doesn't like any of the products I've used in all this time?

Last edited:

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
Maybe because you're using a whole bunch of different products and your hair doesn't like that? When I was a PJ, my hair did not thrive :nono: Now that I have a set regimen, I rarely use any new products in my hair. Shampoos and conditioners are still "chemicals", so the reaction between them can be the cause of your hair issues. Simplify, and it should help :yep:

sunshinelady

Maybe because you're using a whole bunch of different products and your hair doesn't like that? When I was a PJ, my hair did not thrive :nono: Now that I have a set regimen, I rarely use any new products in my hair. Shampoos and conditioners are still "chemicals", so the reaction between them can be the cause of your hair issues. Simplify, and it should help :yep:

I go off of how my hair feels after I use them a few times. Nothing has left my hair feeling that great. Are you saying that shouldn't be the litmus test?

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
Sometimes your hair has to get used to using a certain type of moisturizer, conditioner, etc. in order for it to work properly. You also need to pay attention to what ingredients in your products make your hair feel best. When I first started using shea butter, my hair hated it! It would feel sticky and dry all the time. But when I started paying attention to my porosity and moisture / protein balance, I tried the shea butter again and now it's the only moisturizer I use.

If you do have at least one product that you feel you can call a staple, then use that only and study the ingredients so you can find all of your staple products (a good shampoo, conditioner, moisturizer) and stick with them. I discovered that my hair loves lactic acid, so I'd look for products that had lactic acid in them so the possibility of it working for me increased.

sunshinelady

Sometimes your hair has to get used to using a certain type of moisturizer, conditioner, etc. in order for it to work properly. You also need to pay attention to what ingredients in your products make your hair feel best. When I first started using shea butter, my hair hated it! It would feel sticky and dry all the time. But when I started paying attention to my porosity and moisture / protein balance, I tried the shea butter again and now it's the only moisturizer I use.

If you do have at least one product that you feel you can call a staple, then use that only and study the ingredients so you can find all of your staple products (a good shampoo, conditioner, moisturizer) and stick with them. I discovered that my hair loves lactic acid, so I'd look for products that had lactic acid in them so the possibility of it working for me increased.

Thanks. I don't even have that one product. :nono:

happylife

can you please tell us more about your hair, the products you have used, the direct result of the use of the product, and any other relative information about your experience using the product?
also, pics of your hair would be a great tool too

winnettag

Daaaang! I thought I'd been bad! :grin:
I just decided to stop looking for holy grail products and stick to products that work okay and don't have any negative effects on my hair.
I just don't think I have hair that will ever feel like "butta" without some assistance (ex: BKT or Henna...which I still haven't tried).
I hope you find something that works, but don't feel bad. I recently read about someone that still hadn't found products that work for them after they'd been looking for 7 years.

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
Thanks. I don't even have that one product. :nono:

If that's the case, then I believe it may be some underlying issue as to why nothing has been working for your hair. Have you checked your porosity? That's what was the main culprit in stopping my hair from obtaining the nutrients it needed from the products I was using. Once I corrected my porosity, I was able to understand what ingredients worked and did not work for my hair.

sunshinelady

can you please tell us more about your hair, the products you have used, the direct result of the use of the product, and any other relative information about your experience using the product?
also, pics of your hair would be a great tool too

I have 4b hair. My hair is the exact same texture as afro kinky bulk hair if you've ever seen it (just realized this), but it is very dry and the little corkscrews at the ends are what break the most. I can detangle and need to detangle again an hour later.

Here's what I currently do. I cowash with either Rusk Calm conditioner or Parital Silk Work Rinse. When I wash, once every couple of days because I use Ecostyler Gel, I use either Rusk Calm shampoo or Rusk Healthy shampoo. I use a pick followed by a Denman to detangle. I use clear Ecostyler Gel to brush my hair back into a ponytail with a boar bristle brush with an oil or a grease under the gel, so that it doesn't get too hard. Currently, I wear a phony ponytail.

I don't really have a night regimen. I am usually so eager to get my hair out of the ponytail that I just put a satin cap on let it go. So, then I have to repeat in the morning. :nono: I've been trying to get second day hair, so I've been sleeping with the ponytail in, which I hate.

I added HairVeda Strinillah conditioner as a moisturizing co-wash and my hair seemed to really like it the first time, but the second time, not as great.

I've been watching to see which ingredients my hair likes, but I'm no closer than I was 2 years ago.

Thanks for your interest and help. I really appreciate it.

sunshinelady

If that's the case, then I believe it may be some underlying issue as to why nothing has been working for your hair. Have you checked your porosity? That's what was the main culprit in stopping my hair from obtaining the nutrients it needed from the products I was using. Once I corrected my porosity, I was able to understand what ingredients worked and did not work for my hair.

I have checked my porosity before and used the Roux Porosity Control, no help there.

30something

I'm sorry your not having much success with the products you have. :sad:

Altho I don't have as much products as you do, it took me awhile to find what works for me. Then when I did, I got the gallon and Liter sizes that way, I am not tempted to buy anything else (Giovanni smooth as silk, Nexxus Humectress) :lachen: .. I say to my self I have too muchof the good stuff at home.. to get more

I believe with what you have, you can surely make do. There has to be something in there that works prefect/decent for you hair. Maybe you should change how much stuff you use at a time. I know when i first started I was doing way too much. I hope your problem gets resolved soon goodluck :yep:

happylife

i am sorry i dont have much help to offer you....i have never used any of the products you spoke of.

but i bet some other the ladies chime in with some good input to help you reach your highest hair potential! good luck!