“insert” 4C pics here ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

LOIS HAIR TYPING which takes away the need for a strict hierarchical hair system that separates good hair from bad hair.

Before you begin, please keep in mind that a healthy, undamaged, virgin hair strand, meaning one that is not processed, relaxed or colored, is needed. The hair should be freshly washed without products applied to it and rinsed in cold water. Allow the hair to dry on a bit of paper towel so that you can look at the pattern without touching it.

Find Your Pattern:

L - If the hair has all bends, right angles and folds with little to no curve then you are daughter L.

O - If the strand is rolled up into the shape of 1 or several zeros like a spiral, you are daughter O.

I - If the hair lies mostly flat with no distinctive curve or bend you are daughter I.

S - If the strand looks like a wavy line with hills and valleys then you are daughter S.

You may have a combination of the LOIS letters, possibly with one dominant. If you cannot see one letter over the others, then combine the letters. Example: LO or IL or OS..

Find Your Strand size:
A strand of frayed thread is about the thickness of a medium sized strand of human hair. If your strand is larger than this, then your hair is thick. If your strand is smaller than this, hair is thin, or fine..

Find Your Texture:

Shine is a sharp reflection of light while Sheen is a dull reflection of light.

Thready
- Hair as a low sheen, with high shine if the hair is held taut (as in a braid), with low frizz. Wets easily but water dries out quickly.

Wiry - Hair has a sparkly sheen, with low shine and low frizz. Water beads up or bounces off the hair strands. Hair never seems to get fully wet.

Cottony
- Hair has a low sheen, a high shine if the hair is held taunt and has high frizz. Absorbs water quickly but does not get thoroughly wet very fast.

Spongy - Hair has a high sheen with low shine with a compacted looking frizz. Absorbs water before it gets thoroughly wet.

Silky - Hair has low sheen, a very high shine, with a lot or low frizz. Easily wets in water.

Last edited:

BGT

I'm glad you started this thread. I always thought 4C didn't have any curl definition.

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

• Type 4 is COILY, or very tightly curled, with a clearly visible curl pattern

• Circumference: Crochet needle or even smaller

• The hair is very wiry, very tightly coiled and very, very fragile

• Type 4 hair can range from fine/thin to wiry/coarse with lots and lots of strands densely packed together

• Type 4 hair has fewer cuticle layers than any other hair type, which means that it has less natural protection from the damage you inflict by combing, brushing, curling, blow-drying and straightening it

• Type 4 hair is known to shrink up to 75% of the actual hair length

• There are two ORIGINAL Type 4 subtypes:

4a: Tightly coiled hair that, when stretched, has an "S" pattern, much like curly hair. It tends to have more moisture than 4b; has a definite curl pattern

4b: Has a "Z" pattern, less of a defined curl pattern. Instead of curling or coiling, the hair bends in sharp angles like the letter "Z"; has a cotton-like feel

(looks like "c" was SIMPLY made up ....later.....MANY USE THIS SUBCATEGORY.....OTHERS DO NOT RECOGNIZE IT)

Last edited:

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
4C doesn't exist.

That's what I thought. What would be the difference between 4B and 4C? Is 4C no curl/coil-pattern at all (more cottony)? Cause there are some very tightly curled 4Bs. I've always wondered the difference. Is 4C the same as C-nap?

LaFemmeNaturelle

I only watched the first video but her hair type does not look like the so-called 4c to me. I think people are on different hair typing system but using the same number. I noticed this when I was talking to some ladies on hairlista. The post on hairlista is waaaay different than what we and naturallycurly know it as and I was confusing alot of them. They think the letters indicate texture (a is fine, b is medium, and c is coarse or thick) and the curls are the numbers. So if you have curly hair you're automatically a 3 and if you have kinky hair you are a 4, but it doesn't distinguish between the diff curl sizes; just the textures. So for all the hairlistas who are making youtube videos, that's most likely what they will be referring to which just causes alot of confusion for EVERYONE. I have no idea where Sunshyne got those hairtypes from.

ETA: I just watched the second video and she even says herself that her hair is tightly coiled...so how is that different from 4b? People are just confused and saying what they want to say.

Last edited:

Nonie

I think what people call 4C is just 4B with coarser strands, so the LOIS system might help them out.

4B hair if left shrunken can be quite a handful. That is why those who seem to have fun with it have learned that keeping it stretched is the way to go. We will wear it shrunken once in a while, but most of the time, it's stretched.

I also thinks products make a difference. Shea butter, a favorite of naturals, makes my hair as HARD AS A BRUSH. And it also leaves it looking dull and rough. My hair never shines unless it's straightened, so when I say Shea makes it dull, I mean it make it look almost grayish. And it is almost resistance to stretching when I use it.

I didn't look at all the vids but I looked at a few of the first YT-er posted and all I see is 4B. I didn't look at the other vids coz every 4C claimer I have seen has had 4B...so clicking on the other links would be like going to see if the Pope is still a Catholic.

Last edited:

glamazon386

That's what I thought. What would be the difference between 4B and 4C? Is 4C no curl/coil-pattern at all (more cottony)? Cause there are some very tightly curled 4Bs. I've always wondered the difference. Is 4C the same as C-nap?

I'm thinking 4C could be C Napp but isn't C Napp hair just 4B that's been manipulated?

deborah11

I give up. I am even more confused now. I officially give up and frankly no longer care about the whole hair typing system.

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

I give up. I am even more confused now. I officially give up and frankly no longer care about the whole hair typing system.

Fia's Hairtyping System (not andre's)

FIRST CLASSIFIER - Your curliness (or lack thereof)

The straight ones
1a - stick straight
1b - straight but with a slight body wave, just enough to add some volume, doesn't look wavy
1c - straight with body wave and one or two visible S-waves (e.g. nape of neck or temples)

The wavy ones
2a - loose, stretched out S-waves throughout the hair
2b - shorter, more distinct S-waves (similar to waves from braiding damp hair)
2c - distinct S-waves and the odd spiral curl forming here and there

The curly ones
3a - big, loose spiral curls
3b - bouncy ringlets
3c - tight corkscrews

The really curly ones
4a - tightly coiled S-curls
4b - tightly coiled hair bending in sharp angles (Z-pattern)

SECOND CLASSIFIER - What (most of) your individual strands look like

F - Fine
Thin strands that sometimes are almost translucent when held up to the light. Shed strands can be hard to see even against a contrasting background. Similar to hair found on many people of Scandinavian descent.

You can also try rolling a strand between your thumb and index finger. Fine hair is difficult to feel or it feels like an ultra-fine strand of silk

M - Medium
Strands are neither fine nor coarse. Similar to hair found on many Caucasians.

You can also try rolling a strand between your thumb and index finger. Medium hair feels like a cotton thread. You can feel it, but it isn't stiff or rough. It is neither fine or coarse.

C - Coarse
Thick strands that where shed strands usually are easily identified against most backgrounds. Similar to hair found on many people of Asian or native American descent.

You can also try rolling a strand between your thumb and index finger. Coarse hair feels hard and wiry. As you roll it back and forth, you may actually hear it.

THIRD CLASSIFIER - Your overall volume of hair

Put your hair in a ponytail with as much hair as possible in it. Don't bother with the way it looks - the goal is to have most/all of your hair in there. If it means it sits smack dab on top of your head, put it there.

Measure the circumference of the ponytail. If you have bangs and/or you can't get all of your hair in there adjust according to how much of your hair you have measured.

i - thin (less than 2 inches/5 centimeters)
ii - normal (between 2-4 inches or 5-10 centimeters)
iii - thick (more than 4 inches/10 centimeters)

Last edited:

Nonie

What is C Napp? :confused:

Manipulated 4B hair that appears to have no pattern but to be just a cottony cloud. NappyMe explains and offers examples, but all I see is 4B hair: http://nappyme.wordpress.com/cnapy-albums/

My hair in what might be called CNapp:

iaec06

Do you have any pics you can post?

I said I was 4C because when I did a youtube search on hair types only people who claim 4C popped up so that was what I went with. however after I went through the 2 pages of this thread and visited the 4B thread, I am clearly a 4B..... so unless the 4 type is broken down further I will claim 4B

song_of_serenity

Bumping for those who may be in the alleged 4c!
If there was 3c created for that in between texture, then I suspect coarser and tighterthan the "typical" 4b may fall into 4c!

RockRideTrue

I believe in 4c type hair. No curl pattern. Just look like frizz-kind of. I would take a pic of mine but I'm transitioning and don't know if that'll help any.

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

PLEEEEEEEZ NO NEGATIVE ENERGY or COMMENTS----> IF YOU THINK SOMEONE HAIR IS "MIS"TYPED...PLEASE send them a PRIVATE MESG w/ your opinion of correct type
perhaps they will decide to move the pics

thanks ladies!!! god bless
:bouncegre:bouncegre:bouncegre:bouncegre:bouncegre:bouncegre:bouncegre:bouncegre:bouncegre:bouncegre:bouncegre:bouncegre:bouncegre:bouncegre