“insert” 4C pics here ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

BEAUTYU2U

PLEEEEEEEZ NO NEGATIVE COMMENTS----> IF YOU THINK SOMEONE HAIR IS "MIS"TYPED...PLEASE send them a PRIVATE MESG w/ your opinion of correct type
perhaps they will decide to move the pics

thanks ladies!!! god bless

I apologize. My comment wasn't directed at any particular member. I'll edit.

Tiye

Post edited at request of OP because she wants this to be a pics only thread.

Last edited:

She-Ra

i'm honestly praying it clears things up for a few people.....
i bounce from many forums and my god!!!! :lachen::lachen::lachen: the hair typing
questions are like GEESH! and so many are simply interested in "what is my hair type" so i was hoping if there was a solid thread.....of JUST PICS everyone would have a reference point

b/c between you & me?:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin: i think 3c & 4a are crazy confusing..... tons of people with hair textures/patterns that look "nothing alike" R all within this range

so i'm no expert.... simply hoping for clarification at it's best :yep::yep:

(only if Nonie get's in here!!!!):perplexed:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Very interesting topic. I'd always assumed that 4c meant damaged/moisture hungry hair. Ah well I'm learning.

Kurlee

I don't get the opposition to the idea of 4C. I grew up around natural hair and I know the different types of afro hair. I know what 4B hair is. I'm well familiar with e.g. Nonie's type of hair. But there are those with hair that isn't like Nonie's - and I don't mean questions of manipulation, yadda, yadda. I mean it is just different. It is not a cotton cloud. It is very kinky. It has an irregular pattern hence lack of definition when loose. Maybe this is a more unusual type of hair but trust me it exists.

Last edited:

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

PLEEEEEEEZ NO NEGATIVE ENERGY or COMMENTS----> IF YOU THINK TYPE C DOES NOT INCLUDED IN THE TYPING SYSTEM...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: ....PLEASE send a PRIVATE MESG w/ your opinion

"I AGREE WITH YOU ALL! ":yawn::yep:

BUT PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ EDIT YOUR COMMENTS SO "THESE" THREADS MAY REMAIN A PICTORIAL REFERENCE ONLY

AS NEWBIES JOIN.....THEY'LL END UP BEING MORE CONFUSED WITH 50 PAGES OF DISPUTE.....AND 10 PAGES OF PICTURES

PLEASE HELP?:grin::grin::grin: i don't run LHCF....BUT I'M ASKING FOR HELP "only 1 clean thread":wallbash:

thanks ladies!!! god bless
:bouncegre:bouncegre:bouncegre:bouncegre:bouncegre:bouncegre:bouncegre:bouncegre:bouncegre:bouncegre:bouncegre:bouncegre:bouncegre:bouncegre

Last edited:

Nonie

I don't get the opposition to the idea of 4C. I grew up around natural hair and I know the different types of afro hair. I know what 4B hair is. I'm well familiar with e.g. Nonie's type of hair. But there are those with hair that isn't like Nonie's - and I don't mean questions of manipulation, yadda, yadda. I mean it is just different. It is not a cotton cloud. It is very kinky. It has an irregular pattern hence lack of definition when loose. Maybe this is a more unusual type of hair but trust me it exists.

Kinky = Tightly coiled.

I think the objection is because it is not different from my hair or any other 4B I have seen. And no one has been able to show a photo of hair that differs from 4B.

I think one thing people aren't realizing is how you treat hair affects how it looks. I know people who never DC but just use vinegar and Shea butter on their hair. That's it. Obviously that will have a different effect on the appearance of the hair from that of one using water, shampoo, conditioner, ACV.

I remember a while back when we were discussing 4B having coils, and someone said Sera's hair had no pattern. W/o ever having seen her hair in its unmanipulated state, I suggested that if she clarified her hair and then followed my regimen, I bet you you'd see her coils. I had no idea there was a video of her using Bentonite Clay to clarify, but recognizing how similar it was to mine, I was darn sure of what her hair was capable of. And sure enough, when that vid of the Bentonite Clay finally showed up, there was her hair behaving as I suspected it would: forming cute little coils that were stretched into waves by the weight of the clay...uniform all along her hair's length.

If you want to know what someone's true pattern is, look at the hair before it's long enough to be manipulated, and when it's clean and free of product, and you'll see its true design.

Last edited:

Boujoichic

Fia's Hairtyping System (not andre's)

FIRST CLASSIFIER - Your curliness (or lack thereof)

The straight ones
1a - stick straight
1b - straight but with a slight body wave, just enough to add some volume, doesn't look wavy
1c - straight with body wave and one or two visible S-waves (e.g. nape of neck or temples)

The wavy ones
2a - loose, stretched out S-waves throughout the hair
2b - shorter, more distinct S-waves (similar to waves from braiding damp hair)
2c - distinct S-waves and the odd spiral curl forming here and there

The curly ones
3a - big, loose spiral curls
3b - bouncy ringlets
3c - tight corkscrews

This typing system would make the hair at my crown which is a defined S wave with the odd curl "2C" which I cant agree with. Hmm I was leaning more toward 3c for that section and 4a for the sides and nape that have tight corkscrews around the size of a #2 pencil. I find the typing systems confusing I will just try posting pics when I take my install down.

shai_butta

.:~*deleted. dont know how to delete pictures though*~:.

Attachments

• IMG00151-20100219-2000.jpg
    IMG00151-20100219-2000.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG00152-20100219-2001.jpg
    IMG00152-20100219-2001.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:

AvaSpeaks

LOIS HAIR TYPING which takes away the need for a strict hierarchical hair system that separates good hair from bad hair.

Before you begin, please keep in mind that a healthy, undamaged, virgin hair strand, meaning one that is not processed, relaxed or colored, is needed. The hair should be freshly washed without products applied to it and rinsed in cold water. Allow the hair to dry on a bit of paper towel so that you can look at the pattern without touching it.

Find Your Pattern:

L - If the hair has all bends, right angles and folds with little to no curve then you are daughter L.

O - If the strand is rolled up into the shape of 1 or several zeros like a spiral, you are daughter O.

I - If the hair lies mostly flat with no distinctive curve or bend you are daughter I.

S - If the strand looks like a wavy line with hills and valleys then you are daughter S.

You may have a combination of the LOIS letters, possibly with one dominant. If you cannot see one letter over the others, then combine the letters. Example: LO or IL or OS..

Find Your Strand size:
A strand of frayed thread is about the thickness of a medium sized strand of human hair. If your strand is larger than this, then your hair is thick. If your strand is smaller than this, hair is thin, or fine..

Find Your Texture:
Shine is a sharp reflection of light while Sheen is a dull reflection of light.

Thready - Hair as a low sheen, with high shine if the hair is held taut (as in a braid), with low frizz. Wets easily but water dries out quickly.

Wiry - Hair has a sparkly sheen, with low shine and low frizz. Water beads up or bounces off the hair strands. Hair never seems to get fully wet.

Cottony - Hair has a low sheen, a high shine if the hair is held taunt and has high frizz. Absorbs water quickly but does not get thoroughly wet very fast.

Spongy - Hair has a high sheen with low shine with a compacted looking frizz. Absorbs water before it gets thoroughly wet.

Silky - Hair has low sheen, a very high shine, with a lot or low frizz. Easily wets in water.

Heck the LOIS system sounds more complicated than Andre's system :perplexed

Nonie

No such thing as 4c? I always thought my mothers hair (and mine most likely were I natural) was 4c.. It doesn't coil and there doesn't appear to be a pattern to it at all. Each strand of the hair will zig, zig, and zag but in no order to it. It creates a dense matte tight moss-like fro unstretched. It's pretty healthy hair I think and shes been natural for about 6 years now. I don't know if the pics are clear enough to tell but this is her hair after being kept in 4 braids. Other than combing no other manipulation. Is this still considered 4b?

Note- I always thought 4c referred to hair that is very kinky (zigs and zags) but not coilly.

EDIT: nvm, after checking the 4b thread id prolly just file her on over to 4b:yep:

It most certainly is. I am going to undo two or three braids so I have a chunky mass and you'll see it looks like you mother's. Hair that is stretched by braids is manipulated hair. If you were to braid pen springs, they too would lose their shape due to the bending back and forth of the braiding pattern.

Take a look at Afrokinks stretched hair in the 4B thread; it looks a lot like your mom's hair.

ETA: My hair out of braids look like it has no pattern whatsoever:

Attachments

• 4B Fronting as CNapp.jpg
    4B Fronting as CNapp.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

GOT HAIR TWIN??? (get it? got milk.......?) ok sorry, not funny :ohwell::ohwell:

please look thru the threads for your hair twins....yank them in....send them a PRIVATE MESG.....unite!!!!

i've been PM'd tons about heads that are IDENTICAL on opposite threads!!! You guys know i'm no expert .....

SO PLEASE BUNDLE UP!!! SO MANY BEAUTIFUL "IDENTICAL TRESSES ON DIFFERENT THREADS"

black women unite!!!!! :bouncegre:bouncegre:bouncegre:bouncegre:bouncegre:dance7: :dance7: :dance7: :dance7: :dance7: :dance7: :dance7: :dance7:

from the bottom of my heart....
THANK YOU FOR SUCH A POSITIVE ATMOSPHERE

softblackcotton

It most certainly is. I am going to undo two or three braids so I have a chunky mass and you'll see it looks like you mother's. Hair that is stretched by braids is manipulated hair. If you were to braid pen springs, they too would lose their shape due to the bending back and forth of the braiding pattern.

Take a look at Afrokinks stretched hair in the 4B thread; it looks a lot like your mom's hair.

ETA: My hair out of braids look like it has no pattern whatsoever:

Nonie where can I find your regimen? you are my hair twin.

HauteHippie

I'm so confused (and lazy). That's why I only used hair typing initially to get an idea of which direction to go in when I went natural. It was helpful, but I've let it go. I do love these threads; I love all of the beautiful pictures! As nonchalant as I feel, I'd still have to say that the only differences between 3c hair and 4c hair are time and recognition. Keep in mind that I'm the person who just makes up words. I'm a person; Webster was a person. We're all on equal footing.

LadyRaider

I have decided to personally call bs on the difference between 3c and 4a. Like someone said in this thread: the difference might be attributable to texture differences.

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

i really don't care much either way about "labeling" as much as i love the beautiful pics
you ladies have dedicated to the many threads!!!

kinda feel like andre, lois and whoever else have developed "typing" systems .... many more will develop & revise these types in years to come! I think it can be fun if it's kept positive

HOWEVER.... WOULD LOVE FOR NONIE TO DEVELOP A NEW SYSTEM!!!!<<-- subliminal messaging here
:yep:

Last edited:

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

Detangling My 4c hair - <-- i'm trying to learn detangling geez the slip knots i'm getting :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

anyone know any other great detangling demo's pleeeeeez post

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓ thank you NONIE!!! geez i wish you had a forum of your own
you are the best!!!!! (DJ Khale style)

Last edited:

islanchile

They made it up. The original system only has 4a and 4b. 3c wasn't a part of the system either but the ladies over at naturallycurly.com felt there was too big of a gap between 3B and 4a so 3c was created and later officially added to the system.

Exactly.

Before discovering LHCF I was certain I had the smallest coils imaginable so I typed my hair as 4b. After seeing pictures of a lot of sisters with tighter, smaller coils than mine, I no longer felt it was appropriate to claim the last category on the scale. However, I was not 4a either. My sister and my aunt are 4a and I am not. As such, if I'm not 4a, I have to claim 4b. But because I know that there are women out there with tighter coils, I think there should be a 4c category. That the category doesn't officially exist in the hair typing system doesn't mean it doesn't exist in reality. In fact, I find it somewhat frustrating that people see tightly coiled afro textured hair and assume it's all the same. I'm still fairly new to this site but it seems as though a lot of people think there is some kind of value judgment that goes into typing hair. There isn't. It's simply descriptive and I think that having only two categories for describing type 4 hair isn't descriptive enough.

I'm not willing to give up on the hair typing system because I find it extremely helpful, particularly when it comes to styling products and techniques. I now know that there are some styling products and styling tricks which will work for my sister's hair but will not work for me and vice versa. I have to assume the same is true for 4c sisters. I've wasted a lot of time and money trying products and techniques that simply weren't meant for my hair texture.

Also, and I know this will be an unpopular sentiment, but I don't like the LOIS system. I could type my hair as cottony or wiry or L-shaped or O-shaped depending on the day, the weather or the conditioner I use. I personally find Andre's system a lot more straight forward.

Rei

deleted post..............................................

Last edited:

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

please
please please please
please please please
please please please
please please please
please please please
pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze ladies EDIT all comments and keep the thread positive
i agree with all of you.... i agree

pleeeeeeeeeze keep the thread positive

the system is made up.... others will be in the future