“insert” 4C pics here ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

JudithO

I call myself a 4c in real life and on YT. On LHCF, I call myself a 4B because y'all don't acknowledge.

First of all, I don't know anyone in this world with a curl pattern tighter than mine. I know a lot of 4B's on here and on YT that my hair is tighter than, so I have to be something else.

If you look at this link, the last 3 types of hair will call themselves 4B, even though they are clearly different.

If you look at this link, and this one... they acknowledges that there is something called "4C".

If I need to find videos on YT of people with my texture, 4B won't do the trick... I'll find pple with looser textures that are technically 4B's, BUT if I type 4c, I can bet you that every single one will be a hit.

If there is a 1C, and a 2C, and a 3C, then there sure as heck is a 4C.

My point is... LHCF, and Andre walker may not admit that there is something called 4C... but the range of 4B's is too wide to cover us all.

There are people (like me), who

1. Have 0 curls, and 100% shrinkage... No matter how long our hair gets, it will never hang down... it grows UP.

2. No gels can ever sleek our hair down.... It dries into a hard kinky sponge.. kinda like the protein step in the aphogee two step.

3. If you braid or twist your hair... no amount of water can unravel your twists... like when pple wash your hair, and it unravels .... Doesnt happen. I can wash my hair 500 times and it will be fuzzy, but every twist will remain intact. I'll only take it out because it will dread up after like 3 or 4 months.

4. Extension braids, or anything cannot slide off my hair.

5. We cannot wash and go anywhere... Twist outs, braid outs, Kinky curly custard.... a joke!!

6. Hair will take the shape of whatever you tell it to. If I do a puff, and take the elastic out 5 hrs later, my hair will not move. It will hold that shape perfectly like the elastic is still there.... and will remain like that until I wet the hair.

If you have those characteristics, I'll call you a 4C no matter what anyone says.

(See my YT, fotki July and Aug 2011 for my texture shots).. I'm at work so I can't upload pictures.

I feel that hair typing is important, because it helps you understand what your hair can do and what it can't. I spent so much time watching 4B videos looking for hair styles that I always failed at... When I started watching 4c video's.. I understood what my hair will/will not do.

In my experience, 4C hair is meant to be stretched (with braids, twists, or blowdryer), twisted or braided, and then styled in the braids...

*wearing the bullet proof vest .. and waiting for pple to shoot me.... lol*

Last edited:

JudithO

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

Please can you reduce the font sizes and colors on your posts... lol... they are a lil much...

I think OP or a moderator should change the title of this post to say "Does 4C type exist?" and start another thread for the pictures or something like that... so we can argue on here, but post actual pictures on the other one. If you google images for 4C hair, you can definitely find some.. and can use that as a reference point in the picture thread.

*Frisky*

I call myself a 4c in real life and on YT. On LHCF, I call myself a 4B because y'all don't acknowledge.

First of all, I don't know anyone in this world with a curl pattern tighter than mine. I know a lot of 4B's on here and on YT that my hair is tighter than, so I have to be something else.

If you look at this link, the last 3 types of hair will call themselves 4B, even though they are clearly different.

If you look at this link, and this one... they acknowledges that there is something called "4C".

If I need to find videos on YT of people with my texture, 4B won't do the trick... I'll find pple with looser textures that are technically 4B's, BUT if I type 4c, I can bet you that every single one will be a hit.

My point is... LHCF, and Andre walker may not admit that there is something called 4C... but the range of 4B's is too wide to cover us all.

1. Have 0 curls, and 100% shrinkage... No matter how long our hair gets, it will never hang down... it grows UP.

2. No gels can ever sleek our hair down.... It dries into a hard kinky sponge.. kinda like the protein step in the aphogee two step.

3. If you braid or twist your hair... no amount of water can unravel your twists... like when pple wash your hair, and it unravels .... Doesnt happen. I can wash my hair 500 times and it will be fuzzy, but every twist will remain intact. I'll only take it out because it will dread up after like 3 or 4 months.

5. We cannot wash and go anywhere... Twist outs, braid outs, Kinky curly custard.... a joke!!

6. Hair will take the shape of whatever you tell it to. If I do a puff, and take the elastic out 5 hrs later, my hair will not move. It will hold that shape perfectly like the elastic is still there.... and will remain like that until I wet the hair.

If you have those characteristics, I'll call you a 4C no matter what anyone says.

(See my YT, fotki July and Aug 2011 for my texture shots).. I'm at work so I can't upload pictures.

I feel that hair typing is important, because it helps you understand what your hair can do and what it can't. I spent so much time watching 4B videos looking for hair styles that I always failed at... When I started watching 4c video's.. I understood what my hair will/will not do.

In my experience, 4C hair is meant to be stretched (with braids, twists, or blowdryer), twisted or braided, and then styled in the braids...

hahaha hopefully no one will pull their guns on you sista...

I think 4C exists too from looking at several people on youtube. Up until recently I thought I had a good size patch of 4C hair until I was reading about scab hair so I am going to wait it out to see what happens as it grows out. And you are right, what exactly the difference between 3B and 3C? I don't get why people get all upset if folks want to say they are 4C..it's their hair so let it be whatever they believe it to be hahahahaha.

miss cosmic

Nonie please help if you can

i'm mad cos my hair does all that ( i can't keep twists in for longer than a week cos they start to mat) and here i was believing i'm 4b. i loved the pics in teh 4b thread and thought hmm...maybe my hair will do that when it gets longer. so i tried a flexi-rod curl the other day, expecting some kinda definition...can you say fail? i'm so mad at myself because up till i started stalking the 4b thread i was doing well with accepting what my hair can and cannot do. major fail. i'm mad at myself for trying and mad at myself for being disappointed with the result.

Nonie

@miss cosmic, all those characteristics @judy4all described are characteristics of my 4B hair. My twists would mat too if I did not twirl each strand before wrapping it around the other and the twirling has to be same direction for both strand but wrapping should be oppsite direction to the twirling. I think my hair would lock too if I used product and never conditioned. Any styles I do hold until I take them out.

All the photos I have seen of the many faces of @judy4all's hair are of hair that looks like mine. Just coz her coils are small doesn't put her in a different category. Incidentally @judy4all, can you show a pic of one of your coils on a ruler scale? I am curious to see how small these coils of yours are that makes you think they are not 4B.

Oh and saying one has no coils naturally but has shrinkage is an oxymoron IMO.

ETA There's no such thing as 1C, BTW. I think straight hair is just Type 1, the end.

Last edited:

JudithO

In this video.... You can see my dry vs wet texture with/without product.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSbIxE79dMk

I just uploaded a couple of picture here (my camera pictures are usually too large for LHCF hence fotki)

http://public.fotki.com/judy4all/my-hair-strands/

Nonie Of course... by no coils I really mean no obvious curl pattern. shrunken hair just looks like wool or a sponge... + I think from looking at your pictures that you and I have similar hair textures... You call it a 4B, and I call it a 4C....

I think it's subjective really... I know that not everyone is a 4B has my hair.... but I can assure you that 99% of the so-called 4C's have hair that looks exactly like mine... So that's what I'll claim.

Nonie

@judy4all, this is why typing drains me. Your definition of 4C is the definition Andre gave 4B. Also it wasn't until those of us who fitted Andre's definition realized that we really do have coils that we added that definition to 4B. Then a new group of folks showed up talmbout 4C aka CNapp...and claiming it has no pattern. Those same people have been shown to have coils and so their definition does indeed fit 4B. Then along comes the craziest chart I ever saw talmbout 4B has no pattern but 4C has coils. And then I knew the era of madness had arrived and I bowed out lest I get sucked into the loony bin.

4B hair looks like wool from far because the coils are so small for that pattern to be seen from a distance. How y'all gonna use that to decide it has no pattern, I don't know. I believe in God. I don't see Him but that doesn't mean He doesn't exist. And in the case of 4B hair if you can see the pattern when you look at it up close, you're saying the pattern disappears when you move far away? :dork:

I think some of you confuse texture with type. Coarse hair will not behave like fine hair even if they fall in the same type. Also any coils smaller that 4A coils (meaning they don't clump easily when you WNG to form visible defined coils that show from far) fall into 4B. Gosh, folks can make something that is supposed to be child's play more complicated than it needs to be. :wallbash:

Judy4all, call your hair what you will. I call mine nappy (whether others like the word or not) and I also call it kinky. A while back many of us were just happy to be 4-something and that type was enough for us.... Maybe I'm growing too old for this place. :pullhair:

Anyway I'm out. Carry on folks.

BTW I am really tired of typing discussions so anyone who mentions me in a typing discussion, consider yourself ignored. @miss cosmic, my adopted small sis, shoulda known better than to bring me into a typing thread. I handed in my pink slip on this many moons ago and she knows this, silly rabbit. :spank:

Last edited:

JudithO

lol Nonie.... you know you love us.... I see/agree with what you are saying.... we just call it different things. BTW those characteristics that I defined above are not standard by any means... just the characteristics of my hair...

Hair typing can be pointless.. a lot of things come into play e.g strand size.... The only reason I hair type (or find people that have hair that looks like mine) is to find hair styles that I can do.. nothing else really.

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

@judy4all, this is why typing drains me. Your definition of 4C is the definition Andre gave 4B. Also it wasn't until those of us who fitted Andre's definition realized that we really do have coils that we added that definition to 4B. Then a new group of folks showed up talmbout 4C aka CNapp...and claiming it has no pattern. Those same people have been shown to have coils and so their definition does indeed fit 4B. Then along comes the craziest chart I ever saw talmbout 4B has no pattern but 4C has coils. And then I knew the era of madness had arrived and I bowed out lest I get sucked into the loony bin.

4B hair looks like wool from far because the coils are so small for that pattern to be seen from a distance. How y'all gonna use that to decide it has no pattern, I don't know. I believe in God. I don't see Him but that doesn't mean He doesn't exist. And in the case of 4B hair if you can see the pattern when you look at it up close, you're saying the pattern disappears when you move far away? :dork:

I think some of you confuse texture with type. Coarse hair will not behave like fine hair even if they fall in the same type. Also any coils smaller that 4A coils (meaning they don't clump easily when you WNG to form visible defined coils that show from far) fall into 4B. Gosh, folks can make something that is supposed to be child's play more complicated than it needs to be. :wallbash:

Judy4all, call your hair what you will. I call mine nappy (whether others like the word or not) and I also call it kinky. A while back many of us were just happy to be 4-something and that type was enough for us.... Maybe I'm growing too old for this place. :pullhair:

Anyway I'm out. Carry on folks.

BTW I am really tired of typing discussions so anyone who mentions me in a typing discussion, consider yourself ignored. @miss cosmic, my adopted small sis, shoulda known better than to bring me into a typing thread. I handed in my pink slip on this many moons ago and she knows this, silly rabbit. :spank:
thanks SIS!!!! we see you're already on it! :drunk: totally was about to say girl check my avi for best and future reference

Nonie i can't send you a PM!!! help.... where u @???

u block me? lol

Last edited:

Ann0804

judy4all
This is definitely my 4c hair. My sister who has type 3b hair says all the time to me- just put some water, and gel on your hair and pull it back. lol

tiffanyoneal

I will def be coming back to check for more pictures! Here are my pictures with a lil leave in conditioner. BTW...I went natural on 02 Jan 2014.
I have more on my blog: http://www.4c-haircare.com

More are attached. :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-02-19 at 1.24.52 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-02-19 at 1.24.52 PM.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 73
  • Screen Shot 2014-02-19 at 1.29.09 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-02-19 at 1.29.09 PM.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 91

loved

Also check out this yt video of Dawnyele who is 4c like I am for visual aids.

http://youtu.be/owBPb2Iw_Ak

Awww. She passed away during childbirth. [ETA: The baby survived & the "virtual natural hair community" held a baby shower for the child. I think she worked at Babies R Us IRL.]

I am 4c but I don't want to participate in a debate thread & it seems like that's what every 4c thread turns into on LHCF. I go to other sites for discussions of 4c that stay on topic.

Last edited:

Adiatasha

Awww. She passed away during childbirth. I am 4c but I don't want to participate in a debate thread & it seems like that's what every 4c thread turns into on LHCF. I go to other sites for discussions of 4c that stay on topic.

Oh wow... I just wanted to know how others take care of their hair so maybe I could learn some new techniques. I think I'm 4c. Well I'm a 4b wet 4c dry.
What sites do you go to?
I'm very interested.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
This is an old pic from when I was relaxed. 6 weeks post 4c new growth. No shine, no definition, high shrinkage and tightly kinked

Second pic is my hair now. (Color treated, heat trained natural) ive learned the importance of moisturizing and now my texture appears to be 4b

Attachments

• myng-vi.jpg
    myng-vi.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 20140213_122558.jpg
    20140213_122558.jpg
    455.2 KB · Views: 131

Keen

@JudithO

:clap::clap::clap: Because Thank you is not enough. This is totally my hair. I have a friend who used to always tell me to gel down my edges (I'm relaxed but I complain about not being able to manage my edges). One day I brought her some gel and ask her to gel it down. Make it lay all flat like she tells me to do. Years later she has never utter those words to me again. Different hair textures just don't get it.

Adiatasha

I can not figure out how to take some of these photos down so y'all got one of my vacation pics :)

Attachments

• image-3773410430.jpg
    image-3773410430.jpg
    430.9 KB · Views: 101
  • image-1191140581.jpg
    image-1191140581.jpg
    473 KB · Views: 81
  • image-1258538660.jpg
    image-1258538660.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 80
  • image-83485267.jpg
    image-83485267.jpg