Interesting info on conditioning treatments

Spicee1t

I don't know if this info has already been posted but I thought that it would be really helpful (it was for me) for those of you that are not sure about the different types of conditioners.
______

The Different Types of Conditioning Treatments
By Michelle M.

Healthy hair is best maintained from the inside out beginning with proper nutrition and sufficient daily intake of water. Hair can only be as healthy as the body that produces it! However, conditioners play a great role in maintaining a healthy head of hair and scalp. Proper nutrition always comes first.

Conditioners fall into several different categories. The type of conditioner you need depends on several factors. Hair texture: soft, fine or coarse. The overall state of the hair: dry, brittle or over processed. Do you have permed, relaxed or colored hair? All of these factors must be taken into account when choosing a conditioner. If your hair is dry and brittle, use a liquid protein conditioner. Protein conditioners are designed to strengthen the hair but if your hair lacks moisture, the protein will harden the hair and cause breakage.

There are basically 6 different types of conditioners. They are:

Moisturizers
Moisturizers prevent the hair from becoming dry and brittle. Moisturizers are also called humectants. If your hair is chemically processed or naturally coarse, you will need to use a moisturizing conditioner with each shampoo.

Reconstructors
Reconstructors are designed to repair the internal structure of the hair that chemical processing damages. Reconstructors should be used approximately once per month.

Acidifiers
Acidifiers are designed to close the cuticle layer of the hair. The cuticle is the last layer of the hair strand. It overlaps like fish scales. When hair is chemically processed, the cuticle opens and stands out. This causes the internal structure of the hair to become exposed and unprotected. A raised cuticle causes the hair to feel dry and look dull. When an acidifier conditioner is properly applied to the hair, the cuticle closes and the hair becomes shinier and more vibrant. Vinegar and lemon water rinses are natural acidifiers and should be used with each shampoo.

Detanglers
Detanglers are generally considered to be deep conditioners. However, they do not deep condition the hair. For this reason, they should be used as hair softeners. This is this reason women say: “I condition my hair all the time but it doesn’t seem to help!”. Detanglers are needed on hair that is extremely damaged because of over-processing, or for hair that has not been trimmed regularly.

Liquid Proteins
Liquid proteins are designed to strengthen weak hair. Proteins should never be used on dry or brittle hair because it may cause breakage. African American hair generally requires moisturizing treatments because of it’s susceptibility to dryness. If liquid proteins are applied to dry or damaged hair, it will become brittle and break.

Liquid proteins can be used on fine or limp hair that has not been depleted of moisture. Add proteins to a small amount of moisturizing conditioner, for better absorption. If your hair is chemically processed, you will require moisturizing, acidifying and reconstructive treatments, as part of your regular conditioning regimen.

Oils (Essential Fatty Acids)
Essential Fatty Acids are oils rich in nutrients and natural emollients that keep hair soft and pliable. The body produces essential fatty acids. Unfortunately, the extent of chemical processing and poor diets prevent our bodies from producing the amounts of EFA’s that processed hair requires. Keep in mind that all hair types require EFA’s. When you get a permanent wave, relaxer or color and your hair frizzes or becomes dull or brittle; it is because the Essential Fatty Acids have been stripped by the chemicals.

Karonica

[ QUOTE ]
Proteins should never be used on dry or brittle hair because it may cause breakage.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always held this to be true.

MissB

Thanks for the information....

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Okay, now this has me wondering if Elucence MB conditioner is just a detangler b/c it detanlges like a dream--even at 11 weeks post-R
But that would be an expensive detangler then so I'm gonna go with NO!

Spicee1t

Girl, I know what you mean about the Elucence MB. I'm sitting under the dryer and I have some in my hair right now. The stuff is amazing! I didn't know that it was a good detangler, though, but I guess I will when I rinse it out of my hair in a few minutes.

Britt

[ QUOTE ]
Laginappe said:
So does anyone have a good rec for a Reconstructor??

[/ QUOTE ]

SEBASTIANS PENETRAITT DOES WONDERS !

sithembile

Any recommendations for acidifiers? I can't do acv rinses as I have psoriasis and it irritates my scalp, and I can't get Elucence here.

JenJen2721

[ QUOTE ]
sithembile said:
Any recommendations for acidifiers? I can't do acv rinses as I have psoriasis and it irritates my scalp, and I can't get Elucence here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nexxus Ensure.

Spicee1t

Well, Supergirl, I finally rinsed the Elucence out and I must say that my hair was not tangled at all and like I said earlier I am 10 weeks post relaxer! But I don't know if it's because my hair is short (bottom of neck length) or if the Elucence has anything to do with it. I do remember the last time I went this long without relaxing my hair would be pretty tangled after every wash so maybe the Elucence does have something to do with it. Hmmm...

Wow! Good info. I agree about the liquid protein conditioners. I had to get a cut because my ends became dry & bushy.

Babygurl

[ QUOTE ]
Laginappe said:
So does anyone have a good rec for a Reconstructor??

[/ QUOTE ]

Affirm 5n1 is GREAT!