Introduce Yourself Here

LovelyNaps26

Hi all! I subbed a few weeks ago after lurking for a bit. I've been natural for 5 years but haven't gotten past shoulder length. In the midst of my frustration I stumbled unto this site. I decided to throw away my old hair regimen away(which included no moisturizing, combing by thick 4a/b hair dry, no deep conditioning...basically lazy and bad :nono:) and start afresh. My hair seems to be happy and I've learned so much from the fantastic ladies on the forum. I washed my hair last night after pre-pooing (never heard of it 'til about 4 weeks ago on this forum) and dc ing and was so pleased at the few strands of hair that came out in my comb:grin:. I usually lose clumps. I'm hoping to go from SL to APL by the spring/summer of 2010 and BSL and MBL in 2011. Who knows, I might get there sooner with my new vitamin reggie and the notorious megatek. seriously, y'all the day someone asks me how i managed to grow such long natural hair i'm gonna send a pm to all of you who inspired me to keep the faith and grow this fro out.:yep:

prisytomboy

Hi ladies!!!

I am a 1 1/2 year lurker and decided to join 11/12/09. I have learned so much from you ladies!! MUCH THANKS!!!!

I am right above armpit and can't seem to get pass it because the lady @ great clips seem to keep cutting my hair back to wear it was. Don't worry after last week, she's fired and I won't be going back to her! You see, I hate long hair but promise my g-mom I would not cut it again while she's alive so if I have to have it I want it to be HEALTHY!!!

I'm relaxed, I stretch for about 8 weeks but that's about it (sometimes 7), my hair is disrespectful, hardheaded and talks back! lol I use Mizani Butter Blend, ORS replenish pak after relaxer, weekly co-wash with Aussie Moist Co, Cantu Moisturizing Co, Silk Elements MegaSilk Olive Co, and Silk Elements Mega Cholesterol Co Treatment. I really don't put a lot of oils/moisturizers on my hair. I like non-spritz, swaying, bouncy, full of body hair. My hair grows at a decent pace, I use Chi flat iron and hand blow dryer. Sometimes I use my Carel Soft Bonnet dryer. I have tried two stand twist-out (much success!), braid-out (not so good :( ), roller sets, buns (using my own hair), and pin ups. I have MANY pics of different hairstyles.

I would like to hear from other relaxed ladies about hair care tips:
-protective styling
-what worked/what didn't work
-moisture vs protein
-improving the nape (mines is horrible!!)

Things I am unclear about:
my hair type (all I know is....it's nappy! lol)
moisture vs protein
moisturerizing lotions, bagging, etc. (I don't think my hair likes to be wet)
co-washing vs prepoo
silicone mix
lye vs no lye

I've read tons and tons of reveiw information but after 1 1/2 years it all becomes a blur! lol

WOW!!! Was that an introduction or what? All help is appreciated!!!!

DaRKNLuVLy

Hey everyone! My name is Allison and I've been on my hair journey for about 2 months now and I'm very excited to learn a lot more from you ladies.

anulook

Hey Ladies!! I joined after a 1 year of lurking. Loving the support and tips giving by the members.

I'm relaxed so I need help on which products are best and what should be avoided. Open to all suggestions. Thanks!

ladybugpurple

Hi Ladies,

I have decided to subscribe after reading for months.

My hair is relaxed and has been since I was 10 years old. I never felt as if I knew how to take care of my hair properly. Because it was so thick, I usually resort to the professionals stylists who kept my hair cut to chin length. When I finally found a hair dresser that got it to grow, it started to thinning at the temples and the top. I was asked if I was taking medications, if I was going through the change, etc. The top hair is very dry and thin. The back was in good shape, but economics prompted me to stop going to the salon. My last salon relaxer was 7/29/09.

Reading the posts, I have turned to the ayyurveda products because of the falling and itchy scalp - shikaki and alma for cleansing and alternating bwtn vatika, brahmi amla oils daily. My hair appears to be stronger except in the front which continues to thin. I self- relaxed with EQ on 10/04/09.

My hair feels and looks like it needs another relaxer, but I want to wait until Jan 4, 2010, if possible.

I am looking for a tried and true routine that will repair the falling and thining, and promote thicker and longer hair.

Money is tight and so I can't waste money buying products that don't work or are not appropriate for my situation.

Any suggestions?:perplexed

yeswecan

I subscribed within 1 week of finding this site just before thanksgiving. And I couldn't be happier. My last relaxer was in august 2009 my hair type is 4c. I've grown out a relaxer on several occasions (every time my hairline began to suffer) but never knew how to care for my natural texture so I would find a new hairdresser and try again even though I always knew my natural hair was so wonderful (societal peer/hair pressure?) so read and search all the answers are here:grin:

Juliene

Hello LadiesJust introducing myself. I cut off my locs four months ago after suffering from a severe case of thinning at the roots. My locs got too heavy for my scalp and would give my headaches. I had my locs for over ten years. Cutting them was very hard for me.
So here I am big chopped rocking a twa and constantly surfing YouTube. I am a 4c and suffer from dryness after cowashing. Right now I use Shea moisture products along with castor oil. It seems to be working but not growing very fast. Any thoughts?

MizzTbone

Hi just subscribed and started posting today. I am either 4a or 4b with very fine (almost non-existent lol) strands ... To complicate that situation, I also have major thinning/balding. I have been mostly natural for the past 3 yrs, but relapsed in May 2012 due to frustrations with unseen growth due to shrinkage. Last week I b/c'd that mess off (not a "big" chop, but you know what I mean). The visible scalp due to my thinning is driving me crazy and I'm thinking about resorting to wearing wigs. Before that, though, I wanted to confer with you wise, beautiful ladies in the hopes that, just maybe, there's someone out there with my hair texture and suffering from the same frustrations as me.

I'm new at this, so please help me along the way as far as proper etiquette, etc. I've uploaded some pictures at http://public.fotki.com/MizTbone/

Thanks

hazelnut

Hello Eveyone!!! I just subscribed today and I am very excited. How do I figure out my hair type because I don't know if I am a 4a,b,c, or d... This is a wonderful website and everyone is so supportive. My current hair length is alittle bit past my shoudlers. I will post pictures soon. My goal is Mid Back Length. I also need help along way! Thank you so much!!!

FrazzledFraggle

Hey all!

I used to be on this site a long time ago (probably six years or so) but forgot my username so had to set up a new account. Glad to be back. :)

Brwnbeauti

Hey! I've been lurking for some time and joined today! I have struggled with my hair forever, my mom's solution was to braid it up and when she stopped I picked up where she left. Im now trying to attain and maintain healthy relaxed hair. I wanted to create a post with my progress but I couldn't find directions( help please anyone).
Type:4 relaxed, don't know which
Current:sl- I think
Goal:bsl
Last relaxer: July 6, 2012
Current products: NTM leave in and deep conditioner, Shea butter leave in, apogee 2min reconstruct or, organic coconut milk oil, one n only argan oil, Shea moisture shampoo, aveeno leave in (spray) generic end mender(joico Kodak), profectiv mega growth dc, and keracare humecto

I have an album up- check it out please

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
CafedeBelleza Welcome!

You can click on the Hair Care Tips & Roduct Review Discussion Link. Then underneath the Page numbers...you see a link called forum tool. Click that, and choose Post a New Thread. HTH!

reicee

Oops! Like I was saying I am so happy to find a place where so many like minded woman are to find the support and resources needed to carry out our hair journeys. Why must it be a journey?? Lol

reicee

ms.blue said:
My name is ms.blue and favorite color is blue. My goal is for me to stop cutting my hair:grin:

I feel ya Blue, and I believe you've came to the right place. There lots of inspiration here. I too was scissor happy at one time and then again at one time I had hair to the middle of my back. But this is it. I'm going all the way long!!

msjayy

Hello! I just joined this evening and most happy to have become a member. I'm hoping to grow my hair to mid back length. Currently I'm at armpit length. Also I'd like to learn tips on having healthy relaxed hair, retaining length, and stretching out relaxers. Also, I'm about 40% gray and would like to know what are my best options for keeping up with the health of my hair while trying to stay on top of coloring my grays. I'm looking forward to the good advice that I know I'll receive from LHCF. :)

Avidprayer

Hey guys I joined between 1-2 weeks ago. I am Avidprayer and I would like to get to APL and maintain at Full APL. My hair type is 4B and the layer of hair on my nape is currently about an inch below my collarbone.

Luv4hair

Hi Everyone!
I am very excited to have finally joined this forum. My hair is 4a/4b fine textured and I recently Big chopped my relaxed ends but I am still transitioning my texturized hair to natural. So I am basically neck length.

HappywithJC723

Hello Everyone!!! :wave:

I am soo excited to finally join this forum! I've been a lurker since about June, and I love all of the information I've been able to gather so far from all you beautiful ladies here! I have relaxed hair that is about collar bone length. I hope to make it to APL in the next year and a half or so...I'm a slow grower.

Happy Hair Growing!!:grin:

Last edited:

CoiledByNature

I'm new to the forum and also new to taking care of my my hair. I'm trying to learn my hair and I don't know where to start!! I don't know if I have "good hair" my hair is really curly and pretty when there's shampoo in it but as soon as I blow dry it out it's puffy!!! Where'd my curls go!!! Lol also I'm making my own natural oil mix and I want to try the "all natural thing" here's my story... I used to be obsessed with my relaxed shoulder length hair... Like obsessed!! I loved the texture the shine the body, people used to always compliment my hair. Then in 10th grade I didn't wanna pay the 60$ for a perm in the salon so I had my "licensed aunt" do it. Well let me tell you!! Her license must to have been far outdated because boy did my hair fall out!! So now I'm trying to rebuild what she messed up getting perms every 2 months or so... Then I got lazy. So I havent had a perm in about 27 months... I don't know what I want to do with my hair because I don't know my hair!! When I wash it it's curly with shampoo but as soon as I blow dry it it's puffy!! :( WHYYY ??? I love how it looks when the shampoo is in it but I don't think I can deal with the puffy. So I'm debating growing my hair out and then going back to my relaxed hair.... But I'd prefer to make my natural hair work for me!! So I need help!! ALSO I want to use only natural products. ONLY NATURAL... Am I going to have to make my own shampoo and conditioner? I went to the hair store and found NO natural products!

Attachments

• image-4113778926.jpg
    image-4113778926.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 10
  • image-3991095666.jpg
    image-3991095666.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 6
  • image-3186717423.jpg
    image-3186717423.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 7
  • image-1459646983.jpg
    image-1459646983.jpg
    493.5 KB · Views: 7
  • image-2913308754.jpg
    image-2913308754.jpg
    443.1 KB · Views: 6
  • image-1898691216.jpg
    image-1898691216.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 5

Nice & Wavy

Hey guys I joined between 1-2 weeks ago. I am Avidprayer and I would like to get to APL and maintain at Full APL. My hair type is 4B and the layer of hair on my nape is currently about an inch below my collarbone.

Hi Everyone!
I am very excited to have finally joined this forum. My hair is 4a/4b fine textured and I recently Big chopped my relaxed ends but I am still transitioning my texturized hair to natural. So I am basically neck length.

Hello Everyone!!! :wave:

I am soo excited to finally join this forum! I've been a lurker since about June, and I love all of the information I've been able to gather so far from all you beautiful ladies here! I have relaxed hair that is about collar bone length. I hope to make it to APL in the next year and a half or so...I'm a slow grower.

Happy Hair Growing!!:grin:
Welcome ladies!!!