Irresistible....anybody, please help me.....

fancypants007

I want to try wearing my hair pulled back in a ponytail braid/bun. Please walk me through how i slick my hair down. I want to use the Fantasia IC Ice Polish Pomade that Hairlove recommended, but I don't know how to make it be shiny and slick like yours. Please let me know what to do from the point of adding my african pride leave in conditioner and then what.....; do i put on the pomade/grease, wet it, brush it, put scarf on it, I just don't know what to do. My hair is all natural and I want it to be slick and pretty, not with those little kinks here and there. I was thinking about getting one of those doughnut rolls (covering it with some satin fabric) and placing my hair over it. I've been wearing wigs and it's just getting too hot now, besides I want my hair to breathe more so I'm thinking about wearing it out. I appreciate anything that will help me. Thanking you in advance.

Well i can tell u what I do first mine start off in the shower I detangle my hair their under the running water then i step from under the water with 100% free of tangle hair cause if not then next step may break your hair well then I step from under the water use a dry brush to mold my ponytail then put a satin scrunch on then when I get out of the shower i put slick stuff on it and tye it down with a scarf. wet scraf but it work for me
hth

Thank you so much for responding. So i need to concentrate on making my hair tangle free before attempting to put it back in a ponytail. I will try your method and I sure hope it helps. Thanks again.

What I usually do to smooth my hair into a ponytail bun is detangle with LOTS of leave-in. Then, apply a cream moisturizer like HHB or Hair Milk. Then, spray a little more leave-in and comb into ponytail with a wide-tooth comb. Then, gently comb into ponytail with a fine tooth comb. Apply gel or pomade. Smooth again with hands(or fine tooth comb) and put on scarf to set.

I apply a small amount of regular conditioner (usually Elucence MB or Lafier Honey & Almond Rinse) to my wet hair. I detangle it with the Jilbere Shower comb or the hairsense Jumbo Rake. Then I apply a mixture of Worlds of Curls Curl Activator Gel and Dabur Lite Amla Hair Oil (ishopindian.com) or Dabur Special Hair Oil. (The oil keeps my hair shiny as it dries). Then I apply a small amount of Smooth & Shine Gellation for hold and control. I use the Amore 9-Row Detangler Brush (Sally’s) or the Denman D4 to flatten my hair enough to get it into a ponytail and tie it down with a scarf. (I do not brush my hair from roots to ends like the women on TV—I just brush the top enough to flatten it out.) Within 20-30 minutes my hair is still wet, but dry enough for me to leave the house.

When I want to slick my hair back, the key for me is using LOTS of gel on my wet hair. I use Proclaim gel (the brown one). I wash my hair, condition, and detangle it a section at a time. I detangle each section and then looseley braid it or twist it as I go. I do all of this while in the shower.

When I get out of the shower, my hair is still in a bunch of braids or twists. I gently blot some of the water out so that it's not dripping. Then I unbraid or untwist all of my hair. Then I apply my gel. I mainly apply the gel to the front, top, and sides. Again, I will stress that I have to use a LOT of gel. Then I LIGHTLY brush the gel through the front, top, and sides and put the back into a ponytail or, usually, an up do. Then I get my scarf and I tie it over my hair for a good 10 - 15 minutes to finish off smoothing everything down. Then I remove my scarf, and I'm good to go.

If I sleep in my scarf, the next day I pretty much don't have to comb my hair at all. It's still shiny and neat.

lol @ all the different ways we all slick our hair back...girl it just goes to show you , you kinda gotta just try some things and find out what will work for your hair....years ago i started out trying to slick my hair back with water and conditioner in a spray bottle, took me a minute to figure out that it was causing a dull looking film and the water was drying my hair out....i always had to make sure i could re spray it repeatedly or it would start to look like crap, what a hassle....

im not sure anyone would want to do what i do , but here it goes. i drape a towel around my shoulders and section my hair going from the bottom up and add my oils/butters or whatever im using, and i glob it on too (for years it was only african pride grease but now i use more oils and butters) then i take the african pride or always 911 bottle and litterally pour it on my head , pointing the tip into my scalp and then when i get my whole scalp soaked, i put my hair on top of my head and pour the leave in into the bottom of my hair and soak it , then i take my beloved K cutter and work through it (caution :lots of dripping from here on ) then i take my reg comb and comb it to start to form the pony tail...then i take my reg nylon brush and brush it into the pony tail and add the scrunchies... walla!! and whoop there it is the infamous pony tail lol...it stays wet almost all day and shiny and slicked back..ive always steered clear of gels...besides this works just as good. yes there will be dripping , so you have to leave the towel on the rest of the time your getting ready, (doesnt hurt to bring a paper towel with you when you leave either lol) i turn around to the sink when im putting it in the pony tail so all the drippage goes in the sink, that is, after ive taken the bottom of my hair and squeezed it back onto the top of my hair so you know i dont waste too much lol ...anway there you have it , thats my crazy hair ritual. that i dont think ANYBODY would actually want to go through....cause it includes towels full of hair products and clean up after, which includes the floor, the sink, the mirror, my ears and my neck when im all done...but hey my hair is laid though lol...i know i know i cant believe i actually go through all that either...but on days i dont feel like goin through all that, i just use less of stuff....but it dries faster that way too and just doesnt look or feel the same to me.

like i said i doubt anybody would wanna actually go through all that lol..but this is time tested and mother approved hehehee
smile.gif

let me add .....

when i wash my towels i have to wash them twice...and yes i have some towels just for my hair

i never wear light clothes while my hair is this wet due to the dye from the scrunchies getting on them...ive ruined a bad ass white suit with this style (before i knew better)

ive totally ruined a suede jacket with this hairstyle before...

i have found myself in public doing and occasional wipe to my neck with a paper towel and have had to get over what folks might think about it..

umm basically its like the jerry curl days all over again...only i never had a jerry curl and i hate the stickiness of the activators...

ive been called sponge head a few times
laugh.gif
......cause my hair stays wet like FOREVER..

also when folks go to hug me , i feel obligated to wipe their arms and apologize that my hair is wet...repeatedly:)

i will never lay down at the doctors office again without leaving a big wet spot behind for the nurse to talk about when she has to change the paper..at times i have to decide if i want to warn them about it in advance, or just leave it for them to find
laugh.gif

besides these minor inconveniences that ive somehow learned to live with...i really dont mind goin through all this one bit to have my hair laid all the day long
laugh.gif

oh and its the greatest revenge in the world for those who think your pony tail is something they should just walk up and grab and they get a soaking wet/greasy hand to walk away with and have to wash after
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

they should know betta
laugh.gif

"i have found myself in public doing and occasional wipe to my neck with a paper towel and have had to get over what folks might think about it.."

Irresistible, you are too funny!

I'm so glad you posted this info, Irresistible. I had been trying to figure out how to keep my hair wet looking. I guess I need to use more conditioner. I am going to try this method in the future!

[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
umm basically its like the jerry curl days all over again...only i never had a jerry curl and i hate the stickiness of the activators...

ive been called sponge head a few times
laugh.gif
......cause my hair stays wet like FOREVER..

also when folks go to hug me , i feel obligated to wipe their arms and apologize that my hair is wet...repeatedly:)

i will never lay down at the doctors office again without leaving a big wet spot behind for the nurse to talk about when she has to change the paper..at times i have to decide if i want to warn them about it in advance, or just leave it for them to find
laugh.gif

besides these minor inconveniences that ive somehow learned to live with...i really dont mind goin through all this one bit to have my hair laid all the day long
laugh.gif

oh and its the greatest revenge in the world for those who think your pony tail is something they should just walk up and grab and they get a soaking wet/greasy hand to walk away with and have to wash after
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

they should know betta
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

OMGosh! This post had me rolling!
rofl.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
i will never lay down at the doctors office again without leaving a big wet spot behind for the nurse to talk about when she has to change the paper..

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

they should know betta
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Nay said:
"i have found myself in public doing and occasional wipe to my neck with a paper towel and have had to get over what folks might think about it.."

Irresistible, you are too funny!

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

I do something similar, I just don't have as much hair to deal with.

Iris, you are not alone.

believe it or not, I have had people walk into my office and they think I am in menopause (I look like I'm sweating)!!!! Stuff just dripping down my forehead.
look.gif
look.gif
grin.gif

Thanks everyone for your responses. I was getting a little discouraged because no one responded for a long time. Anyhow, now I'm happy because I have several ideas as to how to try to sleek back my hair so that it looks smooth and shiny. I will try this method this weekend and I think I will try to put it in a bun or perhaps get some fake hair and attach to my hair to make a long braid. I'm so happy, thank you so much!

Irresistible,

Just wanted to tell you that I incorporated some of your method into my morning ritual and I am extremely pleased with the results! So, thanks so much for posting this. I was having a lot of problems with keeping my hair looking nice after it dried and the problem seems to be finally solved!!! (Guess I'll have to try it a few times to be sure.)Thanks so much! You have so many great tips!

When wearing my hair pulled back I either
1. Use twists as the basis of my style. (see my hair journal)

2. If I want my loose hair pulled back into a bun, on soaking wet, conditioned and detangled hair, I use Elasta QP Glaze, Curl Wax and a boar bristle brush. This combo works wonders at getting a sleek bun if you hair extremely thick, dense hair (like I do)
then to touch it up I just use Proclaim activator gel and put a satin scarf on my head until I am ready to go.
HTH

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
Irresistible,

Just wanted to tell you that I incorporated some of your method into my morning ritual and I am extremely pleased with the results! So, thanks so much for posting this. I was having a lot of problems with keeping my hair looking nice after it dried and the problem seems to be finally solved!!! (Guess I'll have to try it a few times to be sure.)Thanks so much! You have so many great tips!

[/ QUOTE ]

You are very welcome girl
smile.gif

Back