Irreversible traction alopecia

Naturelie

Hi girls!

I would like to share something with you. Unfortunately, I'm suffering from an irreversible traction alopecia on my right edge.
I have always been natural (never relaxed) but I used to bun very tight, brush my edges to vigorously or braid it to tight. I have started my healthy hair journey in january 2012 but, since october 2011 I've stopped all that and adopted healthy practices (I style my edges loosely, moisturize them on a daily basis, massage once a day) but...my right edge doesn't want to grow (I've post a picture, sorry for the quality).
I have concluded this bald spot is irreversible. It was hard but I've learned to accept it. I try to hide it with a mini braids bang I always make in the front. It works, it is not very visible but I know all hairstyles would not suit me because of this alopecia. But I accept it now and I spontaneously explain what it is and how it appeared when people ask.

Do you suffer from reversible, or not traction alopecia, bald spot? How do you hide it? Do you feel comfortable with that?

Photo0065.jpg

koolkittychick

My little sister has a similar situation behind her ear on one side. She has been natural for almost four years now, and that area is only now just starting to fill in. So keep doing what you're doing and give it time.

Good luck! :yep:

Amarilles

Are you positive that it's permanent? It's only permanent hairloss if the papilla (strands' root) is dead. Have you seen a doctor?

Naturelie

Are you positive that it's permanent? It's only permanent hairloss if the papilla (strands' root) is dead. Have you seen a doctor?

Amarilles, I have not seen a doctor for that. Maybe I should.
Since I have started to take care of this bald spot 17 months ago, I thought it would have grown yet if it was not irreversible.

Morganite

I suffered with traction alopecia due to micro braid that I had for over 4 months.. It took over 6 months for the hair to grow back in.. I used MN mixed with peppermint and eucalyptus and I massaged the area every night... and I also massage castor oil in the area daily.

faithVA

^^I would add some essential oils to your castor oil as the previous poster mentioned. I have not found straight castor oil to work very well. But adding certain EOs definitely does help. And the progress can be slow so stick to it. Also gently massage the area for at least 1 minute a day.

ilong

God's Own
@Naturelie - I currently suffer from traction alopecia and I have it on both sides - just above my ear.
Couple of things:
First, DO NOT GIVE UP!!! (What do you have to lose by trying?)

Second, ITA with the posters who recommend seeing a doctor. DO IT NOW, DO IT EARLY - you may be able to grow the hair back. My condition is very old and it is more than likely irreversible but I will not give up or believe that it is. I saw a doctor for it last month and she prescribed an ointment for my hair that I rub in twice daily. I am faithful with applying it and using my other oils. I am seeing a little fuzz in the area. But I don't expect an overnight or 3 month miracle.

You are right to not put any stress on that area. Baby and pamper it. Do not allow it to be dry - moisture and seal it.

And it should go without saying no weaves, extensions, heavy braids on this area.

I haven't tried JBCO yet, I just received my first order but I have heard great things about it. I do make an EO mix which is suppose to facilitate hair growth. Peppermint oil, thyme, rosemary oil, cedarwood oil, and others are in my mix. Somewhere on the forum I posted a link to where this oil was made and used as part of a study for alopecia aerata.

Focus on your total hair health and growing all of your hair and not worry about the alopecia. The alopecia may resolve itself in the process.

You may also want to consider some of the Ayurveda oils known to promote hair growth (Amla, Bhringraj, Brahmi)

You should also consider taking hair growth aid supplements.

DO NOT GIVE UP!!! FIGHT!!! YOU MAY WIN!!! THEIR ARE HAVE BEEN WINNERS AGAINST TRACTION ALOPECIA.

I will continue and always fight - who knows, perhaps one of these many hair supplements or products I take/use may give me the victory.

Last edited:

Nonie

OP, the way to heal a problem isn't simply to remove the cause, although that's a start, but to also do something to help with undoing the damage and bring about healing. By not pulling on your hair, you stopped further damage, but now you need something topical and a healthy diet to bring about the results you want. I don't believe in permanent traction alopecia. If people who had extensive balding for over 2 years are no longer bald simply because they took steps to bring about healing, then so can you. Here is a thread of alopecia survivors sharing their journeys and success stories: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=419438

Amarilles

I think traction alopecia can become permanent if one has continuously pulled the strands after they regrow, if the pulling was a cycle. We actually take advantage of traction alopecia when we wax unwanted hair off our bodies. After some time the hair does not grow back, doesn't have to be years of pulling either. Actually...waxing hair off your body and examining how it all grows back, or how often one must pull before it starts to thin...is a good experiment to do. The same thing would happen on our heads.

I would see a doctor Naturelie. In the meantime, try taking a sulfur (MSM) supplement. JBCO is made by roasting the castor beans which produces ash, and ash contains sulfur. The supplement will give you a higher dosage.

ilong

God's Own
Naturelie - I clicked on the link Nonie so graciously posted and the recipe I mentioned in my post is in that thread. For reference I'm posting it here:

Hairloss:Thyme-Lavender-Rosemary-Cedarwood-Grapeseed-Jojaba Oil
The results of one research study suggest that the essential oils of thyme, rosemary, lavender, and cedarwood mixed with an oil and applied on the areas of hair loss may stimulate hair growth. This double blind, placebo-controlled study enrolled 84 people who who massaged either these essential oils or a non-treatment oil into their scalps each night for seven months. Results showed that 44% of people in the treatment group had new hair growth compared to only 15% in the control group.

Date: 4/17/2005 1:26:32 PM ( 4 y ) ... viewed 7059 times
Hair Oil Recipe

3 drops of essential oil of thyme

3 drops of essential oil of lavender

3 drops of essential oil of rosemary

3 drops of essential oil of cedarwood

1/8 cup of grapeseed oil

1/8 cup of jojoba oil

Mix the ingredients together. Cover your pillow with an old towel. Apply several drops of the mixture to areas of hair loss each night, massaging gently into scalp for 3-5 minutes. Store the oil tightly covered. Do not take internally or near the eye area.

Nonie - thank you for posting the link

Nonie

ilong, you're welcome. That is the recipe I used to grow back my bald spots back too and vickid another survivor has also used it and had success with it too, although she combined with treatment from her doc IIRC.

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I had that same problem from wearing braids and pulling the braids back too tightly. Had a spot just like yours on the right side. It filled in. I used castor oil on my edges for months and they filled in. Definitely try that if you haven't already.

cicilypayne

I thought I had permanent hair loss too..Almost four years with no progress...I tried everything..finally what worked was the coffee and black tea rinse well discussed on this board. I'm almost 38 I've been wearing hair weaves and ponytails extensions since I was 12. Did not develop hair loss until four years ago..and only on my left side. My hair just started to fill in and I'm certain it's the coffee rinse. In the morning while I clear away my breakfast I place my used and coffee ground filter on the spot and squeeze and softly rub... It takes 5 seconds..I do this about three times a week..every three weeks or so I do a coffee or black tea rinse over my entire head .this is the only new thing since December and my left side has filled in big time...

Shadiyah

Hi girls!

I would like to share something with you. Unfortunately, I'm suffering from an irreversible traction alopecia on my right edge.
I have always been natural (never relaxed) but I used to bun very tight, brush my edges to vigorously or braid it to tight. I have started my healthy hair journey in january 2012 but, since october 2011 I've stopped all that and adopted healthy practices (I style my edges loosely, moisturize them on a daily basis, massage once a day) but...my right edge doesn't want to grow (I've post a picture, sorry for the quality).
I have concluded this bald spot is irreversible. It was hard but I've learned to accept it. I try to hide it with a mini braids bang I always make in the front. It works, it is not very visible but I know all hairstyles would not suit me because of this alopecia. But I accept it now and I spontaneously explain what it is and how it appeared when people ask.

Do you suffer from reversible, or not traction alopecia, bald spot? How do you hide it? Do you feel comfortable with that?

View attachment 201135

What I see is hair in that area i do not see smooth. I just was reading up on this last night because I wanted to find a DHT blocker and just ordered NuHair and I think it will work for me you because they have the blocker and they have the regrow hair. it is a supplement and I think you should try it or something like that I went with that one because it was listed as one of the better ones on the MD sites and it was budget friendly.

I also read that although shampoo and conditioners are made with blockers in them ok some are that are made for that problem, but anyway I have read that with anything that you are putting on your hair or scalp it will wash off but if you cure it from the inside it will always be there. So i decided to deal with it from the inside out. I don't have alopecia but I am in menopause and my mother and her mother had thinning hair and I am trying to combat it before it starts because in the top of my head I see very thin hair and it is short and I have been watching it for a long time now and it is not really thicking up. I mean there are hairs that is covering it but I have been keeping a eye on just those hairs.

I think you can do something about this and once your hair gets longer it will cover it anyway.

I really hopes this helps.

Naturelie

@Naturelie - I currently suffer from traction alopecia and I have it on both sides - just above my ear.
Couple of things:
First, DO NOT GIVE UP!!! (What do you have to lose by trying?)

Second, ITA with the posters who recommend seeing a doctor. DO IT NOW, DO IT EARLY - you may be able to grow the hair back. My condition is very old and it is more than likely irreversible but I will not give up or believe that it is. I saw a doctor for it last month and she prescribed an ointment for my hair that I rub in twice daily. I am faithful with applying it and using my other oils. I am seeing a little fuzz in the area. But I don't expect an overnight or 3 month miracle.

You are right to not put any stress on that area. Baby and pamper it. Do not allow it to be dry - moisture and seal it.

And it should go without saying no weaves, extensions, heavy braids on this area.

I haven't tried JBCO yet, I just received my first order but I have heard great things about it. I do make an EO mix which is suppose to facilitate hair growth. Peppermint oil, thyme, rosemary oil, cedarwood oil, and others are in my mix. Somewhere on the forum I posted a link to where this oil was made and used as part of a study for alopecia aerata.

Focus on your total hair health and growing all of your hair and not worry about the alopecia. The alopecia may resolve itself in the process.

You may also want to consider some of the Ayurveda oils known to promote hair growth (Amla, Bhringraj, Brahmi)

You should also consider taking hair growth aid supplements.

DO NOT GIVE UP!!! FIGHT!!! YOU MAY WIN!!! THEIR ARE HAVE BEEN WINNERS AGAINST TRACTION ALOPECIA.

I will continue and always fight - who knows, perhaps one of these many hair supplements or products I take/use may give me the victory.

@Naturelie - I clicked on the link Nonie so graciously posted and the recipe I mentioned in my post is in that thread. For reference I'm posting it here:

Hairloss:Thyme-Lavender-Rosemary-Cedarwood-Grapeseed-Jojaba Oil
The results of one research study suggest that the essential oils of thyme, rosemary, lavender, and cedarwood mixed with an oil and applied on the areas of hair loss may stimulate hair growth. This double blind, placebo-controlled study enrolled 84 people who who massaged either these essential oils or a non-treatment oil into their scalps each night for seven months. Results showed that 44% of people in the treatment group had new hair growth compared to only 15% in the control group.

Date: 4/17/2005 1:26:32 PM ( 4 y ) ... viewed 7059 times
Hair Oil Recipe

3 drops of essential oil of thyme

3 drops of essential oil of lavender

3 drops of essential oil of rosemary

3 drops of essential oil of cedarwood

1/8 cup of grapeseed oil

1/8 cup of jojoba oil

Mix the ingredients together. Cover your pillow with an old towel. Apply several drops of the mixture to areas of hair loss each night, massaging gently into scalp for 3-5 minutes. Store the oil tightly covered. Do not take internally or near the eye area.

@Nonie - thank you for posting the link

Thanks for all those precious advices girls!!!!!

Nonie

ilong, sorry to be anal but I just noticed that my recipe was slightly different from yours in quantities of products used. I used the recipe that was used in scientific tests. The quantity of ingredients were:

2 drops of cedarwood EO
2 drops of thyme EO
3 drops of lavender EO
3 drops of rosemary EO
1/2 teaspoon of jojoba oil
4 teaspoons of grapeseed oil

Your recipe doesn't seem as concentrated as the original.

ilong

God's Own
Nonie- no apology necessary. You can be anal or whatever you want to be. :yep:
I would like to clarify one point: the recipe isn't mine. If I mislead you or anyone else to think otherwise I accept responsibility for that error.

One of the original scientific studies in 1998 by Hay, Jamieson and Ormerod, using a formula, for sake of argument, very similar to yours or the one in the recipe I posted, is cloned and recited on countless sites and related scientific studies. However, while they (Hay,Jamieson, Ormerod) are the earlier adopters, their study was not the only one. Additionally, there are patents (Tripathi And Sierra) with associated studies, related to similar hair growth oil concoctions.

I don't believe it is critical enough for me to expend time to prove or disprove if the recipe in my post is scientific. However, as I typically recommend, everyone should do their own research, develop their own opinions and make their own decisions. Especially if the validity of a scientiic citation is crucial to the would be user. What others may find beneficial may cause a negative reaction to others.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Naturelie

PM me your mailing address. I filled in a bald spot from stress after my mom passed and my hereditary widow's peak (was NOT expecting that). My friend filled in her edges lost to years of weaving. I don't believe your loss is permanent. Let me gift you a bottle of my mix. I think it will help jumpstart your regrowth.

Nonie

Nonie- no apology necessary. You can be anal or whatever you want to be. :yep:
I would like to clarify one point: the recipe isn't mine. If I mislead you or anyone else to think otherwise I accept responsibility for that error.

One of the original scientific studies in 1998 by Hay, Jamieson and Ormerod, using a formula, for sake of argument, very similar to yours or the one in the recipe I posted, is cloned and recited on countless sites and related scientific studies. However, while they (Hay,Jamieson, Ormerod) are the earlier adopters, their study was not the only one. Additionally, there are patents (Tripathi And Sierra) with associated studies, related to similar hair growth oil concoctions.

I don't believe it is critical enough for me to expend time to prove or disprove if the recipe in my post is scientific. However, as I typically recommend, everyone should do their own research, develop their own opinions and make their own decisions. Especially if the validity of a scientiic citation is crucial to the would be user. What others may find beneficial may cause a negative reaction to others.

ilong I wasn't trying to claim yours wasn't scientific. I just wanted to make it clear mine was slightly different coz when I initially responded I didn't pay close attention. I have seen that recipe you used posted in various parts of the Internet. I'm just a sucker for the older things (originals?) in life, and coz I saw my recipe years before I saw the one you posted, I am kinda partial to it. Even when it comes to exercise, I tend to favor older versions of workouts than newer versions.

I also thought it important to mention this difference in case people try one recipe and it doesn't work, it is good to know it isn't the only one there is. Plus I didn't want to misrepresent myself since when I posted my results, it was with the recipe using fewer drops of cedarwood and of thyme than those of lavendar and rosemary and less jojoba than grapeseed. Not sure how much of a difference such minutiae make, but I do love accuracy of information so try to adhere to the practice.

Last edited:

ilong

God's Own
Nonie- absolutely no worries - really. :yep: Jojoba is an oil that can be used by MOST - but grapeseed oil ,for example, cannot. So recipes can vary and I guess original is good in the right context. Improvements to an "original" may supercede said, in quality, function, results, etc.

But I must reiterate: "it isn't my recipe":nono::grin:

miss cosmic

Nonie how did you mask the smell? That mix smells awful. Or maybe i did it wrong? Dont think so though. Any ideas on masking the smell?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Slll mini using LHCF

Nonie

[USER=264242]miss cosmic[/USER];18255555 said:
Nonie how did you mask the smell? That mix smells awful. Or maybe i did it wrong? Dont think so though. Any ideas on masking the smell?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Slll mini using LHCF

I didn't mask the smell. I have smelled worse. Ever heard of Neem oil? Or MTG?

While you might be able to mask the smell, my concern would be changing the effectiveness of the mixture. I did not even use other hair products while using this, again so as not to interfere with its working.

When trying to solve a problem or to test something, I am careful not to chance skewing results by adding stuff that may affect how it works.

Nonie

[USER=306389]ilong[/USER];18255441 said:
Nonie- absolutely no worries - really. :yep: Jojoba is an oil that can be used by MOST - but grapeseed oil ,for example, cannot. So recipes can vary and I guess original is good in the right context. Improvements to an "original" may supercede said, in quality, function, results, etc.

But I must reiterate: "it isn't my recipe":nono::grin:

LOL @ your reiteration. I think most people know it isn't your recipe as in you owning it (especially since I stated I have seen it before online) just as I don't have a patent to mine, ie the one I use. But you posted it so I am guessing if you were to use it that is what you would use. And anyone getting the idea from you would refer to it as your version, just as people who got the idea of my recipe tend to call it Nonie's mixture.

And yes many believe in "new and improved" while I am of the school of "tried and true" coz new things never seem to live up to the standards I was used to. I so hate it when original product formulas are changed. I am so into old things that I don't even care for new trends in fashion. :grin:

k_enitan

OP I am in the same both as you (only that mine covers larger areas)

The mixture given by ilong and Nonie will work for you, consistency is key. I made a similar mixture for my sister and hers filled in.

Unfortunately for me I can't even use any of these things, I swear I have been cursed with the worst scalp on earth but I guess such is life ...

faithVA

Naturelie

PM me your mailing address. I filled in a bald spot from stress after my mom passed and my hereditary widow's peak (was NOT expecting that). My friend filled in her edges lost to years of weaving. I don't believe your loss is permanent. Let me gift you a bottle of my mix. I think it will help jumpstart your regrowth.

Aw, that's sweet.

JudithO

Try a 50:50 mix of coconut + Emu oil and massage your edges daily....... Emu oil is scientifically proven to wake up sleeping hair follicles and regrow hair... it will take time, but it will grow,.... please stop applying tension to the area...