Is a blow-out safe when transitioning?

CutiePie0Five

Hi Ladies,

I was just wondering if it's okay to get a dominican blow-out when you're transitioning. I'm asking because it takes some, if not a lot, of manipulation of the hair for a good blow-out, and I don't know how healthy that's going to be for my hair.Technically I guess it won't be a problem because they'll rollerset my hair first, then just blow-out the roots right? Correct me if I'm wrong....

I was thinking of getting a blow-out for my birthday in August because I don't want to look to' up for my 21st! lol I've been transitioning for 5 months, so I've got a hefty amount of new growth. I don't want it to break off just because I got a blow-out.

Also, how long do blow-outs normally last? Since it's summer time, my head gets hot and if I straighten my hair, I tend to sweat it out with the quickness! In addition, I wash my hair every week, so I don't want to waste my money...I guess I might have to wait two weeks once I get it done.

Anywayz, thanks in advance for your tips!

chocolate01

I got a blowout about 6 months into my transition and had no problems with breakage. My looked hair looked like I had a fresh relaxer. I had mine done in February 05 so I didn't have to worry about sweating or humidity, I wash every week so I let it go after a week. I probably wouldn't do a blowout in Aug because of the heat and humdity. I have pics in my transitioning folder feb 2005 album

amara11

I got mine about 9 months into transitioning. It definitely wasnt all bouncy, fluffy etc, and I had to go home and go over it with a flat iron, but then again, I have really thick, 4a/b hair. I guess it depends on how far you are in and how good the stylist at the salon is. I went to her per a recommendation from a few ppl at my school (but these ppl had perms) but when we got there ( me and a friend who is completely natural but has really really cottony soft 4a hair) one woman said "Oh you need a perm" to my friend, and the one who was styling our hair looked like she had no clue what to do. My head was sore and the heat that was used to get my hair straight had me cringing. I probably wont do it again.

If you're one of those ppl whose hair straightens pretty fast, or your not that far into transitioning, I'd might go. However for me, it was worse than a press (the lady used very little moisturizer) and the heat was wayyyy to high.

Sorry so long and negative:( HTH
amara
PS- There are some pictures in my fotki