Is anyone still using MSM??

growinghealthyhair

Recently purchased MSM powder the harrow brand from whole foods. Haven't started taking it yet. I'm afraid of the taste but I want to take it daiy at morning and night. What benefits are you ladies seeing and how long have you taken it?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

yorkpatties

I don't think it's made much of a difference in my growth, and I have been taking the pills for months now.

When I first started taking them, I had vivid nightmares. Very bad ones. I remember this is why I stopped taking it a few years ago. I didn't continue then, but over the summer I stuck it out and they went away. I am not sure why exactly I still take it :rolleyes:, I have joint issues so maybe it helps, it's supposed to. I have always felt that vitamin E contributes to faster growth for me than MSM.

Ann0804

I stopped MSM after I started to develop a rash, and what looked to be a beard coming in under my chin. Since stopping msm now for about a month thankfully it has cleared up.

MzSwift

I have been taking NOW Brand MSM powder pretty much daily since December 2010. I experienced decreased joint issues, fuller breasts and lighter, shorter periods. Dunno about increased growth though. The first week, I experienced the bowel issues and I only took about 1000 mg dosage. Once it died down at the end of the first week, I increased to 2000 mg and then to 3000 mg after another 1.5 weeks. I've been on 3000 mgs for the majority of the time I've been using it.

In August 2011 and September 2011, I stopped taking it. My back pain returned. The minute I started taking it again, my back pain went away. So I'm gonna keep taking it.

Since October 2011, I've only been taking 1000 mg/daily. I still experience the benefits mentioned. I switched from the powder to the powder capsules though for convenience. I used to pour a tsp (3000 mg) into a shot glass, fill it with water and take it that way. Some ladies pour it into juice. I can't do that b/c sometimes I don't finish my juice or my son may ask for some.

Lastly, there was a really good thread about the Benefits of MSM or something like that. You can see what the consensus was in that thread.

GL! :)

bride91501

I started taking MSM 2 months ago for knee pain I've experienced for years and it's been a godsend. The pain in my knees has pretty much disappeared....but I haven't noticed any difference in my hair growth, which is fine with me actually.

I take (1) 1000 mg capsule per day of the generic Rite Aid brand of MSM. I haven't had any side effects.

HTH!

cynd

I've been taking MSM for about 5 months because I read/heard it lengthens the anagen or growth phase. I'm not sure that necessarily means it contributes to the actual growth rate though. At this point I'm continuing to use it because it's made issues I have with my joints go away. When I stopped using it a couple of times, the joint issues returned.

growinghealthyhair

MzSwift
Girl forget hair growth lets talk about back pain, wow so I could kill two birds with one stone?

For the past two years my back has been hurting doctors just want to give me pain polls and muscle relaxers. I rather something more natural. Even of it just eases it I will be happy.

prettyhair73

Yep, I got liquid MSM and I add it to all my beverages. It's tasteless to me. It must be working because my stylist says my hair gets longer every time he sees me.

ScorpioBeauty09

I take Hairfinity and MSM is included in that. I briefly added an extra 1000 mcg and my body had a strange reaction to it so I stopped.:ohwell: But Hairfinity's done wonders for my growth and everyone at my salon keeps noting how my hair's getting longer.:grin:

AlwaysNatural

I stopped for 3 days. Was taking about 2000 mcg powdered form going to increase to 3000 an continue for the duration of having this weave which i will be keeping in for 8 weeks.

I got tender chest whenever I used it. Kinda...hurts.

MzSwift

growinghealthyhair
Yes, you can! LoL

I think I'm gonna be on MSM for the rest of my life. We're supposed to be able to get it naturally from fruits but most of us don't these days.

growinghealthyhair

MzSwift said:
growinghealthyhair
Yes, you can! LoL

I think I'm gonna be on MSM for the rest of my life. We're supposed to be able to get it naturally from fruits but most of us don't these days.

How long did it take u to see benefits of joints? I'm about to turn some up right now lol. What would u suggest starting out dosage wise?? I will try it with water first. Just so afraid of the taste.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
I add MSM to my water. I mainly use it for my muscle and joint issues. I'm also not sure about my hair growth from MSM because my whole regimen has changed for the better. It works well for me without side effects.

Iluvsmuhgrass

I take MSM caplets and have for the last two to three years. When I tell you that it's helped with my pain levels (I have fibromyalgia), shorter lighter menstrual cycles with less cramping, and with my ALLERGIES!!! Girl!! That alone was worth it to me. My hair growth has been consistently normal. I did see a marked difference in the beginning then it tapered off. It's worth it just because of the pain relief benefits.

BlkMane

MSM CURED my seasonal allergies. I'm serious. It also keeps you "regular" ahem and detoxifies your body in every way. Your skin may break out at first, but it does help to keep acne at bay in the long run due to it's detoxing properties. I haven't been taking it recently for other reasons, but will go back to it as soon as I can. When I did take it consistently for a few years, my skin was clearer, and my hair was very lush and healthy. But, like other posters mentioned, I was also taking hair vitamins at the time and taking great care of my hair, so can't say that the MSM is fuller responsible for the great hair.

mallysmommy

lighter periods and less pain during cramps, but my face broke out something serious, cyst-like pimples and i always felt dizzy or loopy, i left it alone

kinky curlygenie

I stated take about 3000mg each day, I used to take it consistantly for abwt 6-7 months last year. The only bad note is that I used to gt headaches when I didn't drink enough water but I think that happens with a lot of supplemnts that I take.

I think upping my water intake to reap the benefits is a small price to pay, before my hair loved msm and so did the rest of my body. I took capsules as well as topical sulphur, I had good results so am hoping to gt the same sucess ths time around :)

growinghealthyhair

You ladies are getting me excited!!!

I've been using msm soap for the past week and my skin is so smooth. I can't even describe it!!!

How is the taste ?

And are any of you also taking vitamin c with it? I heard that this helps it work to its fullest,

AlwaysNatural

Does anyone's msm powder begin to taste salty exceeding 2000 mcg in liquid? I did like half a tsp in milk (500ML) and it takes so...weird i swear it was suppose to be tasteless. Guess il break it up to take at different time intervals if im going to be increasing the dosage.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
AlwaysNatural I think you need more liquid for the MSM to dissolve into; I use the powdered form, so that may be the difference.

I mix 2 heaping tablespoons into a gallon of water and do not taste anything.

growinghealthyhair I love my MSM soap! It has replaced my other natural soap bars.

Iluvsmuhgrass I didn't know you were a Fibro Fighter! Yay, there's more of us on the forum. :bighug:

growinghealthyhair

AlwaysNatural I think you need more liquid for the MSM to dissolve into; I use the powdered form, so that may be the difference.

I mix 2 heaping tablespoons into a gallon of water and do not taste anything.

growinghealthyhair I love my MSM soap! It has replaced my other natural soap bars.

Iluvsmuhgrass I didn't know you were a Fibro Fighter! Yay, there's more of us on the forum. :bighug:

NappyNelle

Do you use the soap all over? I've only used it for my face so far.
I got it for a really good deal 2 bars for 5 bucks(thank you LHCF). I'm going to stock up on more soon!!

That sounds like a GREAT idea. Adding it to a huge gallon of water. That will make me drink a lot more water.

Thankfully nobody else drinks water in this house aside from me and my son. So I don't have to worry about anyone else drinking it. lol.

Okay

with all the benefits to MSM - I wish I could take it. But the nighmares were just :nono:

I was scared to sleep. I rememer dreaming I got raped! And it was so life-like... :sad:

growinghealthyhair

growinghealthyhair I only use it on my face, come to think of it. I should have been more clear!

kinky curlygenie Health food stores and vitamin places; you can also purchase online at iherb, vitaglo, vitacost, etc.

NappyNelle

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

The skin on my body better not fall off. Because I just got finished LATHERING up real good in it!!!!!!

I had checked at whole foods for it, and they didn't have it. But said they usually do. I';m gonna check back.

bride91501

I take MSM caplets and have for the last two to three years. When I tell you that it's helped with my pain levels (I have fibromyalgia), shorter lighter menstrual cycles with less cramping, and with my ALLERGIES!!! Girl!! That alone was worth it to me. My hair growth has been consistently normal. I did see a marked difference in the beginning then it tapered off. It's worth it just because of the pain relief benefits.

Girl you just solved the mystery of the month! My last cycle was much lighter and 2-3 days shorter than normal, and I've been racking my brain to figure out how and why lol! Definitely a good thing, but this just caught me by surprise. Yet another benefit to MSM...I likey :grin: