Is anyone still using MSM??

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
I'm taking it to help combat my melasma on my face. My hair is the longest it's ever been. I really think the length gains are from the MSM. I take about 4,000 mg of MSM with 2,000 mg of vitamin C. MSM is some of the nastiest stuff on the planet, though. YUCK, to the taste! I could never drink it all day. I put all of it in a small amount of juice and gulp it and drink water behind it.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I recently started taking msm again.

Many many years ago I took it and would have weird dreams. It also messed with my very regular cycles.

Now I take a spoon in my morning smoothie. It's only been a week. So far dreams are not any different that when I wasn't taking it. Will see about my cycle next week.

anahnamuslyyours

I'm taking it to help combat my melasma on my face. My hair is the longest it's ever been. I really think the length gains are from the MSM. I take about 4,000 mg of MSM with 2,000 mg of vitamin C. MSM is some of the nastiest stuff on the planet, though. YUCK, to the taste! I could never drink it all day. I put all of it in a small amount of juice and gulp it and drink water behind it.
In plain water, I found that I could get used to the taste if I diluted it enough in a large bottle. But that was before I realized I wasn’t taking enough vitamin C with it and I hate orange juice. I can tolerate Tang, even though it’s a bit too sweet for my tastes, and the combo balances out for me.

Chicoro

In plain water, I found that I could get used to the taste if I diluted it enough in a large bottle. But that was before I realized I wasn’t taking enough vitamin C with it and I hate orange juice. I can tolerate Tang, even though it’s a bit too sweet for my tastes, and the combo balances out for me.
Glad you found the perfect combination of things for yourself!

demlew

I'm going to be more consistent taking it based on the positive results in this thread.

FYI: Amazon has this one BOGO free so it's 2 for $8.74. I don't know sure when the discount expires.

Doctor's Best MSM Powder with OptiMSM, Non-GMO, Vegan, Gluten Free, Soy Free, 250 Grams​

LegsLegsLegs

Yes I’m taking MSM off and on for years but I’ve been very consistent these past few months. I was always under the impression that it keeps our hair in its growth phase but my hair seems to continue growing without it. It’s supposed to benefit your skin too (I have skin issues). I’m not sure if it’s making a difference in my hair or my skin (I take other supplements/vitamins) but I’m continuing with taking them.

Sarabellam

I had a rough patch. My diet, exercise, and even mental health took a hit. One of the first steps that I took in getting myself back together was taking my vitamins again. It was my first step bc it represented 1-2 mins in my morning and evening dedicated to my self care. I took an adult chewable multivitamin from Trader Joe’s, msm powder (doctor’s best), vit D drops, and an iron supplement. The iron and vit d were taken together and the multi was taken at the other end of the day. The msm (3g) was taken with either depending on when I was consuming something flavored to cover the taste.

After 1-2 months of consistent use I had ridiculously strong and faster growing nails. It didn’t make sense. I stopped feeling as cold at night and my skin was brighter. I still had a lot of work to do in other areas (I.e. diet, exercise, gen mental health work which are coming along) but I’ve seen that vitamins alone can make a difference.
I used MSM in the past but didn’t have such undeniable results. I think that it was a combo of poor diet (blank slate) plus adding all the micronutrient building blocks at the same time. So every day my body had a surplus of protein (only benefit of traditional American diet), sulfur, vitamins, and better nutrient delivery bc of the iron making better blood cells.

KenyafromCT

I had a rough patch. My diet, exercise, and even mental health took a hit. One of the first steps that I took in getting myself back together was taking my vitamins again. It was my first step bc it represented 1-2 mins in my morning and evening dedicated to my self care. I took an adult chewable multivitamin from Trader Joe’s, msm powder (doctor’s best), vit D drops, and an iron supplement. The iron and vit d were taken together and the multi was taken at the other end of the day. The msm (3g) was taken with either depending on when I was consuming something flavored to cover the taste.

After 1-2 months of consistent use I had ridiculously strong and faster growing nails. It didn’t make sense. I stopped feeling as cold at night and my skin was brighter. I still had a lot of work to do in other areas (I.e. diet, exercise, gen mental health work which are coming along) but I’ve seen that vitamins alone can make a difference.
I used MSM in the past but didn’t have such undeniable results. I think that it was a combo of poor diet (blank slate) plus adding all the micronutrient building blocks at the same time. So every day my body had a surplus of protein (only benefit of traditional American diet), sulfur, vitamins, and better nutrient delivery bc of the iron making better blood cells.
Here is a humongous tight and loving hug sis. And on repeat each and every day. My mental health is always off kilter. But I go through life feeling numb. Not sad. Not happy. I just kind of exist. Always bright and cheery. I think it comes from my childhood. Even at the height of abuse… my happiness was demanded by the adults that I was being raised by. So I think that 16 year experience ruined my inner workings. So I get it sunshine. That mental health thing that’s ever present. Always lurking. And it gets worse as the winter visits and the summer sun isn’t as plentiful.

In the last weeks I’ve noticed that I haven’t been taking care of my hair. No scalp massages. A month without washing my hair, sporadic with taking my vitamins, not wrapping my hair like I was, not applying my DIY herb oils to my scalp. My hair, the one pursuit/goal that I work so hard for during spring/summer. I literally just came to the realization on Thursday. So I must take this new information and work hard not to allow it to persist. As mundane as hair is. It’s my mental health litmus test. Along with other things. But my hair was my baby. My pet project.

Chicoro

@Sarabellam,
I am sorry to hear about you going through that rough patch. I am so glad to hear you are seeing forward moving progress. That's always a good thing. You didn't ask me, but I would like to suggest that you consider adding some powdered vitamin C to your regimen. Vitamin C optimizes the MSM and it helps iron to better absorb. Congratulations!

Chicoro

Here is a humongous tight and loving hug sis. And on repeat each and every day. My mental health is always off kilter. But I go through life feeling numb. Not sad. Not happy. I just kind of exist. Always bright and cheery. I think it comes from my childhood. Even at the height of abuse… my happiness was demanded by the adults that I was being raised by. So I think that 16 year experience ruined my inner workings. So I get it sunshine. That mental health thing that’s ever present. Always lurking. And it gets worse as the winter visits and the summer sun isn’t as plentiful.

In the last weeks I’ve noticed that I haven’t been taking care of my hair. No scalp massages. A month without washing my hair, sporadic with taking my vitamins, not wrapping my hair like I was, not applying my DIY herb oils to my scalp. My hair, the one pursuit/goal that I work so hard for during spring/summer. I literally just came to the realization on Thursday. So I must take this new information and work hard not to allow it to persist. As mundane as hair is. It’s my mental health litmus test. Along with other things. But my hair was my baby. My pet project.
@KenyafromCT,
I am so very sorry that the adults around you didn't make you feel like the precious, important sweet little girl you were. Well, I want to say that I am so glad you are here with us on this board! I love to see your post because you always have something nice to say. Even more so than that, you celebrate other people and their accomplishments. So, I would like to celebrate you! I think you are fabulous! That little girl that you used to be may not be physically here, but she is still inside you. Let us try to begin to give her what she needs. Also, I invested in a lamp for winter because I too have some issues with the Winter blahs and I grew up on the West Coast. There are special lamps you can buy and sit under for about 30 minutes a day. The light may singe your eyebrows (just playing -that's not true!) and you can get them from a small desk model to a larger floor model.

As far as hair is concerned, our attention and care ebbs and flows. You'll get back to it. Just stick with us! You hang in there.

Sarabellam

Thanks sis! Let’s move forward for the better together!

Sarabellam

@Sarabellam,
I am sorry to hear about you going through that rough patch. I am so glad to hear you are seeing forward moving progress. That's always a good thing. You didn't ask me, but I would like to suggest that you consider adding some powdered vitamin C to your regimen. Vitamin C optimizes the MSM and it helps iron to better absorb. Congratulations!
Thanks for the rec! Both the iron pill and the multivitamin have vit C so I don’t have to add an extra supplement.